Tranny cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick Q: Do all 80s come with a tranny cooler, or just the ones with the towing package?

I think it was an accessory with tow package. You can tell by looking in grille and it will be the smaller radiator.

AC,
All US spec 80s have the towing package that includes a transmission cooler. Some 80s also were equipped with the optional (usually port installed) Class III trailer hitch.
-B-

Beo,

Do ones without towing package have tranny cooler lines that go to the radiator ? If this is the case, then we'd have either:
. Two different radiators for each application.
or
. Tranny cooler lines are connected to both radiator & the tranny cooler.

Just wondering...
Frank.

On vehicles equipped with the external cooler it is in series with a cooler contained within the radiator bottom tank. Technicaly the "towing pkg" was an option. It seems that TMS USA ordered all of the 80 series Cruisers with that option. I have never encountered one without the external cooler in place.

Thanks Dan for clearing that up!
Frank

I have images of 2 original window stickers; a 91 & a 93, plus the sticker from my 97.  On the 91 there is a line that says "TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER....... STANDARD."   On the 93 there is a line that says "TOWING PKG W/TRANS OIL COOLER.....STANDARD" and on the 97 sticker under the "Standard Features, Mechanical and Performance" it is listed as Towing package w/trans oil cooler

It appears that all US 80s got the tranny oil cooler. The 93-97's got a standard towing package that includes a tranny oil cooler plus wiring for a trailer (?) The trailer hitch on my 97 was part of the $1,243.00 C7 Convenience package:
Rear wind deflector/roof rack
running board/drop hitch

-B-

The towing package was the external oil cooler. The PIO/DIO (port installed opiton/Dearer installed option)drop hitch contained the hitch platform,wiring harness, light converter and ball mount w/pin (no trailer ball). In the case of a PIO hitch, the box containing the ballmount/pin was zip-tied to one of the rear floor cargo tie-down loops(usually the RH side).    
  The C7 package mentioned by Beo was the only way to get the hitch platform from Toyota in the 95 to 97 model years. The EPA capped the total number of vehicles that could be equipped with a "Factory" hitch or running boards or cargo mats or roof racks or wind defelectors at, IIRC, 1/3 of total production. Toyota skinned that cat by providing those only through the port in a package. The only way a dealer parts department could get them from Toyota was to prove that they were "replacements" for damaged originals. There was a way for dealers to go "direct" to the original vendors and get generic versions of the OEM pieces and install those. As those pieces were not "provided" by Toyota, there was a loop-hole to get through.

History lesson over.      Dan.  

well I'm glad we were protected from too many of those running boards, but a stock rear deflector would have been nice and a factory tow hitch would have permitted my rear tow loops to remain installed.

Yeah,

But what about that rust-breeding-POS rack? ::)

They must have slipped all the running boards in on another option package because 95-97's w/o running boards are few and far between. It sure seems like a lot more than 1/3 have them.
-B-

Yeah,

But what about that rust-breeding-POS rack? ::)

Luckily I am not tall enough to see it. What rack? I do not look on the top of my truck.

B-,

Nope, no other packages. All the ones you see came in through the back door I mentioned above. BTW, you didn't see Juanne's before he pulled them off, his were chrome, not black.

D-.

Chrome is lame! Line it! :D

Rogue,

I DID say that he took them off................ ::)

Me had 'em no roofierackie, unless you count the chick that was sitting up top. :flipoff2:

Me had 'em no runnum boardies.

Me had no trailer package.

Me did have 'em trannie cooler and it works less than Cdan. :flipoff2: Several times now while wheeling the lil beater I've had screaming high trannie temps. Gots tos gets mes a bigger cooler.

Not sure this adds anything useful to the discussion, but we have two '97 40ths in our "extended corral"...

- Neither had a towing hitch, rack, nor wind deflectors;
- Both have tranny coolers;
- One had running boards, the other didn't.

I think it's a mixed bag - and stuff may have changed on some trucks from their original configuration, though both of ours were one owner rigs before they came our way and appeared to have original equipment.

Cheers, R -

Ron,

I would wager that the centers of your running board step pads are "blank" as opposed to having "Toyota" embossed in them. That is the difference, other than dealers could get chrome generics in addition to all black like the OEM ones. The logo was left off so Big Brother would not be upset.

D -

Hmmm... interesting. That would be "hers" (my sister). I'll have to put in an inquiry in that regard...

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom