tranny clunking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up my new 89 62 with the auto tranny and it clunks when it starts and sometimes while it is idling. It shifts fine and runs good but I want that clunking gone. The PO said that it was the flex plate hitting a bolt and that the flex plate will wear the bolt down and go away? I dont want to let his happen. Has this happened to anybody and what is there to do to fix it.

Hey man, good choice with the 89. How many miles are on it? The auto trannies in these things like to wear out the output shaft after 200k or so, but not quite sure what you mean by "clunking while starting or just idling there." Do you hear the noise while shifting from P to D or D to R? How about while on and off the gas?
Not sure about the flex plate the po is talking about. The search function works nicely here ;)

it doesnt make any noise going between gears. and it shifts fine. Right when it starts up it is loud and making a lot of noise. then when it is idling it sounds like something is hitting something in the front of the trannsmission. doesnt do it or jsut cant hear it when you start to go. the engine is a rebuild with like 10K on it and the entire has like 187K miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom