tranny check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi i have been trying ti figure this one for a long time first start in the morning when engine and tranny temp is low i fell like the transmission is more responsive crisp and aggressive a few minuets after when operating temp is reached it becomes less responsive and less crisp didn't notice any abnormal slippage is this normal?

Mine is the same, upon the first few miles it will kick down very hard and feels a bit more peppy. After about 15 minutes of driving it goes back to a more relaxed downshift and power delivery. I think it's normal. I wish it would stay the same though. I drive up a very steep hill leaving my parking lot and like to give it the full beans (1.5K-3K RPM) and feels nice having a aggressive kickdown.

Mine is the same, upon the first few miles it will kick down very hard and feels a bit more peppy. After about 15 minutes of driving it goes back to a more relaxed downshift and power delivery. I think it's normal. I wish it would stay the same though. I drive up a very steep hill leaving my parking lot and like to give it the full beans (1.5K-3K RPM) and feels nice having a aggressive kickdown.

any idea why and what's the cause? i really love the aggressive shift of the morning tranny

What is the maintenance history ? Year, Model, Mileage ?

If you (or your shop) is using a cheap transmission fluid (or you are running it too long) it can shear to a lower viscosity over time resulting in the performance difference. When you start cold the oil is thicker (high viscosity) but as it warms it thins out again. The ATF can wear out in other ways as well.

I would try changing out the fluid for all new fluid using a cooler line flush and see if there is a difference. I'm guessing there will be, the AW transmissions respond well to fresh fluid. Start with a cheap DEX III equivalent just to see if it makes a difference.

What is the maintenance history ? Year, Model, Mileage ?

If you (or your shop) is using a cheap transmission fluid (or you are running it too long) it can shear to a lower viscosity over time resulting in the performance difference. When you start cold the oil is thicker (high viscosity) but as it warms it thins out again. The ATF can wear out in other ways as well.

I would try changing out the fluid for all new fluid using a cooler line flush and see if there is a difference. I'm guessing there will be, the AW transmissions respond well to fresh fluid. Start with a cheap DEX III equivalent just to see if it makes a difference.

oil is fresh recently changed using a machine that extract the used oil. what brand of atf do you suggest should i go synthetic?
70k miles year 2000, service is up to date

oil is fresh recently changed using a machine that extract the used oil. what brand of atf do you suggest should i go synthetic?
70k miles year 2000, service is up to date

If it was recently serviced make sure the fluid level is correct. The fluid level will rise when heated and could be the cause of the problem. The level must be measured when the fluid is too hot to touch with your bare hands Drive at least 20 minutes. With engine idling, measure on a level surface in park. The transmission is sensitive to overfilling.

If they just pulled ~4 quarts from the pan and then replaced, Then changing more of the oil might help. The transmission has 12 quarts in the whole system.

If the machine is designed to exchange the fluid and replace all of it then I doubt your problem is fluid related.

I like synthetics a lot, mostly for the better cold performance, but wouldn't switch until you have things running well. I use Amsoil ATF in the 100.

I have had great results with a cheap Dexron VI (Walmart SuperTech) in my 99 Camry. The Camry's has an AW transmission that originally spec'd DexIII just like the 100's A343. DexVI is a superior fluid to DexIII in every respect and designed to be reverse compatible. It is developing an excellent track record and my guess is that it would be great in the 100.

If it was recently serviced make sure the fluid level is correct. The fluid level will rise when heated and could be the cause of the problem. The level must be measured when the fluid is too hot to touch with your bare hands Drive at least 20 minutes. With engine idling, measure on a level surface in park. The transmission is sensitive to overfilling.

If they just pulled ~4 quarts from the pan and then replaced, Then changing more of the oil might help. The transmission has 12 quarts in the whole system.

If the machine is designed to exchange the fluid and replace all of it then I doubt your problem is fluid related.

I like synthetics a lot, mostly for the better cold performance, but wouldn't switch until you have things running well. I use Amsoil ATF in the 100.

I have had great results with a cheap Dexron VI (Walmart SuperTech) in my 99 Camry. The Camry's has an AW transmission that originally spec'd DexIII just like the 100's A343. DexVI is a superior fluid to DexIII in every respect and designed to be reverse compatible. It is developing an excellent track record and my guess is that it would be great in the 100.

thanks much for the info i will double check the level just to be sure. i was concerned it might be a mechanical or electrical problem should i set it in high on the hot side?

Anywhere inside the "Hot" marks is good. It's pretty tight so don't add fluid even if low inside the marks.

Two things. First, auto trannies work on pressure, when very cold, the fluid might be a little thicker, creating higher pressure and more firm shifts. Second, I believe the ECU is programmed for higher shift points when the truck is cold. This is part of the emmissions control system and causes the cats to heat faster, thus beginning to work faster at removing "bad" stuff from the exhaust.

I think what you experience is normal. It has always been the case on our 2000 LX.

Last edited:
Two things. First, auto trannies work on pressure, when very cold, the fluid might be a little thicker, creating higer pressure and more firm shifts. Second, I beleive the ECU is programmed for higher shift points when the truck is cold. This is part of the emmissions control system and causes the cats to heat faster, thus beginning to work faster at removing "bad" stuff from the exhaust.

I think what you experience is normal. It has always been the case on our 2000 LX.

how i wish it will be like it all the time i think it will save on gas and better performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom