Tranny Bit The Dust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heres the deal.
00 LX470 101K Transmission is gone.
Lexus of New Orleans has it. They quoted me $3797 to replace it.
I have searched & found some info on the remanufactured transmissions.

- Has anyone dealt w/ them? (Lex o' Nawlins)

- Is there more than one company that remanufactures this tranny?
If so, any suggestions.

- Any other work that I should have done whilst this is happenin?

THIS SUCKS :mad: :mad:

Can't help w/the dealer, but what happened to the tranny? What signs/symptoms/warnings did it have?

Had intermittent vibration in the High-Low shifter, then developed a slight vibration at various (not repetitive) speeds. Ultimately stopped on the interstate. When I got to the truck, I could shift through every gear w/ no result other than a strange noise. It sounded like a combination grind/bubbling noise.
Sorry I have no more info, I have not driven it in a while. My wife has been driving it, and she has not noticed anything (read oblivious). She has no further description, but I attribute this to her being defensive about the entire ordeal.

I still love her.(the wife too)

a question and an observation9with a question):

what the service history of this tranny? has it been flushed regularly or at least had fresh fluid every once in a while?

i'm shocked that the estimate for the tranny is only $3.8K. i would have expected quite a bit more than that. is this quote for a NEW toyota transmission and what kind of warranty are they offering?

best of luck.

ace10 said:
a question and an observation9with a question):

what the service history of this tranny? has it been flushed regularly or at least had fresh fluid every once in a while?

i'm shocked that the estimate for the tranny is only $3.8K. i would have expected quite a bit more than that. is this quote for a NEW toyota transmission and what kind of warranty are they offering?

best of luck.

Has been flushed, twice that I know. I purchased it w/ 40K on it.

Quote is for a reman. tranny, labor & tax: w/ one year warranty. Don't know if I could get a new one.

Only 3.8k???? My god, that is insane. There has to be a wrecked 100 out there that has a available tranny.

Man, that sucks about the tranny. Scary too since I too complained about intermittant vibrations a while back.

Call the junk yards man and or call cruiserdan for a tranny price if you still want to keep it.

Just got off the phone w/ the dealer.

Reman. 2545.50 Instaled w/ tax 3797.00
New. 3469.00 Instaled w/ tax 4801.86

Both have the same one year warranty.

Juke, the price at the site you gave is $350.00 cheaper. I just don't have a good tranny man to lean on for the install.

That's tough Arleaux. I feel for ya. If I had any advice I'd chime in with something more useful. Sorry.

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not.

Why can't you have yours rebuilt? I know dealerships usually don't rebuild themselves, but surely you can find a reputable tranny place that can do it. It seems like it would be so much cheaper. And good tranny places usually have a one year warranty too.

Jukelemon said:
Only 3.8k???? My god, that is insane. There has to be a wrecked 100 out there that has a available tranny.

Man, that sucks about the tranny. Scary too since I too complained about intermittant vibrations a while back.

Call the junk yards man and or call cruiserdan for a tranny price if you still want to keep it.
are you advocating putting a tranny of unknown history (ie one from the salvage yard) into his 00 LX? why on earth would one do that? this isn't a trail rig or some beater. the one from the yard could be hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of miles from being dead. way too much risk, as he's looking at $1K in install labor plus the hassle of doing it again.

my question about the $3.8K being low was assuming that this was a quote for a NEW transmission, not a reman'd...

i second giving dan a call. tax savings should offset the freight on a tranny from him. his good shopper price should beat any quote from the dealer... now to find a good shop to do the work.

So you were having weird vibrations? Uh Oh, I have noted two things lately I think. One is at freeway speeds let off the gas I get a strange deep noise and vibration. Also one time, it kind of missed the 2-3 shift, with a great vibration, but nothing that is constant or repeatable. It is relatively new vibrations and such though. We shall see. :doh:

wait a sec, isn't the Lex drivetrain warranty at least 5 or 6 years on this? Better check carefully the dates.
If not, you might try to beg and grovel with Lex and see if they feel generous cuz that's kind of early to fail...

e9999 said:
wait a sec, isn't the Lex drivetrain warranty at least 5 or 6 years on this? Better check carefully the dates.
If not, you might try to beg and grovel with Lex and see if they feel generous cuz that's kind of early to fail...

I will investigate, but I think its 100K. :frown:

Arleaux said:
I will investigate, but I think its 100K. :frown:

still, check with Lex, they might well give you a break for 1K extra...

(well, can't you say it failed at 99K and you've been towing it for the last 2K? :D

Broke down in Cali, towed it to Nawlins.

Whats not to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom