Trails/Events/Meeting Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello once-was and soon-to-be SNLC h8rs,

Now that the SNLC club is getting back into shape, I'd like to get some ideas from all of you on trail runs, meeting ideas, and other events we can do as a club.

I'll start this off with things on my want-to-do list,

Trail Runs:
  • I've been playing with the idea of doing a "lap around Charleston" that goes over Wheeler, south on dirt tracks on the west side until turning east over Lovell Summit and back through Rocky Gap. We could start at Cottonwood Station in Blue Diamond for breakfast and end the day back there for beers and pizza.
  • The trails down to the river sound fun. Maybe bring a fishing pole, some float tubes and a cooler full of beer and have a swim.
  • Titus Canyon in Death Valley.
  • I think there's some trails in the Virgin River Gorge opposite the recreation area in the gorge.
  • I run Cottonwood Pass to the Pioneer Saloon for a burger and beer at least once per month. I've taken the side trail up to Ninetynine Mine and the abandoned cabin. There's lots fun trails to run up there.
Overnights/weekends:
Events to attend as a club:
All of these sound fun to me. I like to cook good food on the trail and drink good beer and whiskey under the stars. I'd like to start filling up the calendar with stuff to do. I'll be going and I'd love it if any/all of you came too.

Play hard!

:cheers:

Oh I forgot, SNLC used to do a Christmas party up at the Mt. Charleston lodge every year. I really like that idea and I think we should try to do a raffle and/or prizes and/or a small charity auction. I think we can come up with some pretty fun awards to hand out like "broke again" and "what rocks?" for the people voted most broken down and most rock damage. I'll be taking lots of photos at the runs and events we do so I'm sure we can do a pretty good year in review slide show and maybe a video.

@mdv638 suggested to me that we organize a christmas tree cutting run where we go cut fresh christmas trees from the forests in UT, NV, or AZ. If we go to a neighboring state we could even invite another club out to join us.

Meeting ides:
  • Learn to weld at the SYN Shop
  • Shopbot some drawers or a slide out kitchen or something at the SYN Shop
  • Knuckle rebuild and bearing replace tutorial
  • What's that noise? Let's get together and diagnose rattles and squeaks and buzzes over beer and bbq'd steaks.

I like all of your ideas, especially the learn to weld one. I have been looking for a welding class unsuccessfully for some time.

Something to bear in mind, for many of us in LV we are not on a traditional work schedule. I work most weekends and I am often "on call" many evenings of the week. It can be a challenge for many of us to fit around stuff organized for weekends only. That being said our location is crying out for some more activities so Kudos for trying trying to get things fired up.

I would recommend cross posting in the various series forums to let everyone know you are getting everything organized again. I just stumbled on your posts one day having not visited this area of the site for at least a year. I check the 100 series forum most days.

Learning to weld is one of the things I want to do as well. So I'm down with that if we can get a group together and time.

All of your ideas sound great. My experience for LC maintenance and offroading is minimal, so any event focused on learning would be awesome for me. Willing to help as an extra set of hands for folks that need it as well.

I also own a welder that I've been meaning to learn to use. Nothing fancy, just a small eastwood MIG, but willing to bring it for classes.

We could probably set up a sticky thread on local vendors that members vouch for. That seems to be a common question.

Possibly a sticky covering the more common trails/destinations in the area for us newbies? Could have folks post new trails or campsites there as a repository or something.

Also when the car shows start up again we could coordinate a larger presence for advertisement for the club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom