trailering with FZJ 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My trailer is pretty close to the weight you described when it's fully loaded I think. Being in Utah I probably drive many of the same passes you do on a regular basis. As others have mentioned, the 1FZ will willing run between 3500-4500rpms without much complaint. Yeah the 80 isn't quick by today's standards and I will gradually lose a little speed on the steeper/longer climbs but a downshift will keep it pulling just fine.

I regularly drive/tow at 75-80mph on the highways on the flats and can usually maintain 50-60mph at the slowest on the mountain passes. That's with 37's and 4.88's. I'm looking into underdrive tcase gears which would also help a bit but also raise rpms.

I think you're making a good choice if you want to keep the 80. I think you'll find its really not that bad towing a small trailer.
IMG_2338 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I tow this regularly. Almost 4k loaded. It's a little slow on the high passes, but I have no complaints.

Nothing that helps towing! Full armor, 315's, a full size spare, and stock gears.
What brand/model trailers. I am in the market. I will probably rent a few different setups so I can zero in on the ones that fit my needs best. I'm thinking more like 19ish feet, double axle for stability, and only 7 ft wide for storage purposes.

What brand/model trailers. I am in the market. I will probably rent a few different setups so I can zero in on the ones that fit my needs best. I'm thinking more like 19ish feet, double axle for stability, and only 7 ft wide for storage purposes.

Jayco 174bh. 21ft long, 7ft wide. The single axle honestly isn't bad if you take your time to load the trailer the right way. We boondocks a lot and the added maneuverability of the single axle is a plus. I'm in the middle of a trip up the coast and I have no complaints. Currently in Redding, it's hot as balls here today and the trailer and the cruiser did great.

Jayco 174bh. 21ft long, 7ft wide. The single axle honestly isn't bad if you take your time to load the trailer the right way. We boondocks a lot and the added maneuverability of the single axle is a plus. I'm in the middle of a trip up the coast and I have no complaints. Currently in Redding, it's hot as balls here today and the trailer and the cruiser did great.

Thanks. 7 footers are pretty rare around Phoenix, but there are a few. I have been looking at the Clearview mirrors. Are you running airbags?

John,
I run airbags at 5 lbs when not towing. Truck is stable on highway curves at speed. Flexes fine on the trail at those pressures.
When towing the Kimberley, I inflate to approximately 10 lbs. Keeps the rig nice and level. Plumb the bags separately, don't Tee them together. More stable and truck is not always loaded equally side to side.
Jim

John,
I run airbags at 5 lbs when not towing. Truck is stable on highway curves at speed. Flexes fine on the trail at those pressures.
When towing the Kimberley, I inflate to approximately 10 lbs. Keeps the rig nice and level. Plumb the bags separately, don't Tee them together. More stable and truck is not always loaded equally side to side.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I got in on the Group buy for the Luke's 4x4 rear bumper. So I am getting closer to being better equipped to haul/tow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom