Trailer wiring - Help please HJ61V (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok .. always hate asking these kinda questions .. its like "if you have to ask .. you shouldnt be doing it" .. but the only way to learn is to ask and then do it.

I'm trying to figure out how to or where to tap into existing wires to hook up trailer lights.

I have the 7 core wires (7 pin plug) and a 24v to 12v converter. All I need to know is where do I connect the 7 core wires ?

Below pics of wires ( rear left hand side panel ). Do I splice some of these and if so which ones ? .. or are these even the right wires .

DSC_0527.JPG

Sorry I can't get you links and specifics right now, but please be aware that there is an adapter for 4 Runners that can be modified to match Cruiser wiring and snaps in line without cutting any OEM wires. Not sure if there is a difference between HJ and FJ harnesses.

You will also want to consider whether you want 12V or 24V trailer lights. If you want 12V to match standard systems, you will want to check out Stone's thread in the diesel forum about Solar Controller's Equalizer installation. With it and three 24V relays you can convert your light signals to work with 12 V trailers. Note that you can't share grounds between 12 and 24V wiring with a commonly available voltage converter. A hitch ball is a shared ground.

I use an ouside inverter that is connected to the 7-pin plug.
(IN 7-pin S (ISO 3731) OUT 7-pin S (ISO 3732)
It is easy replaced but can be stolen.

SecoRüt Spanningsreductie-adapter 24 naar 12 V 60195 bij Conrad.nl online bestellen | 000852208

file.php

This is how my HJ has (had) it, not how I like it at all, but it works (the 24v inside converter did not work)
Inside converter is better I think but write down and remember (place pictures?) what wire goes where, make is bomb proof.

Remember the wires are split from factory so left and right are not the same.

file.php

Best way to know the color is to open the glass and clean the wire.

Really take some time to make it perfect or it will fail and hunting a small miswired hidden in tape connection is not fun.

Just write down what you need and match the wire color:

wiper engine
24Volts rear window defrost
turn signal right/left
brake light
running light/number plate light
trailer connection:running light, turn signal, brake,

file.php

You use 7 pin and I was working on my trailer and made this because it is easier if you know what is happening:

file.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the adapter idea, I should order it and BJ41 I would do that if I had to start from zero because it is the best and most original way.

And for the 24V to 12V converter: LED light can handle 12 to 30 Volts so replacing the trailer lighs is also an option.

I am looking at the USA connectors, from 4 to 7 is easy.
The only thing is the price. :princess: needs jewelry to, you know :grinpimp::hmm:

I was looking for this site, order a kit and make yourself, the best way to get identical wires is from an old toyota... (ask owner first)
OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha

T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118341

I don't dare to order, these plugs are also sold separately, it is just a project to get all the parts, even the right color wires must be impossible:

file.php

toyota landcruiser electrical wire plug connector kit - Google zoeken

This looks great but these plugs can be just a tiny bit different...

Amazon.com: Hopkins 43405 Plug-In Simple Vehicle Wiring Kit: Automotive

it looks identical, 1985 is what I choose:

file.php

file.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom