Trailer wiring harness replacement 1981 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDS

Threads
I finally am getting my trailer hitch back on and I need to know if there is a snap in t-harness available for 1981 with the snap connections that I have on my rig. See pictures. The old trailering round 4 connection with converter is also shown but I removed it years ago and I have no idea how it was wired.
I want to start fresh from the left and right taillight connections. There is also a mystery round clip connection near the center of the rear bumper that looks like a factory harness clip?
Any advice on a snap in harness that converts to a common flat 4 trailer plug?
I searched the forum for links. A lot of threads that Are close, but no luck on a ‘plug and play’ with my clip style…
7E4803CB-5EE8-4F3B-B855-204581B61A5D.jpeg
17DF674B-7CB6-4E0D-A32E-51244E29C169.jpeg
CB694245-2672-4154-99FE-9B042F781014.jpeg
392BF04C-69EE-4EAF-85C5-77E5401E32CA.jpeg

0A44A673-4CA3-4A09-A9FD-9EC0B31DA520.jpeg

most likely you will be on your own for wiring.
you will need the convertor box so the trailer doesn't back feed into the truck, as most trailers have brake and turn on the same light versus the Landcruiser that has brake and turn as separate lights

I finally am getting my trailer hitch back on and I need to know if there is a snap in t-harness available for 1981 with the snap connections that I have on my rig. See pictures. The old trailering round 4 connection with converter is also shown but I removed it years ago and I have no idea how it was wired.
I want to start fresh from the left and right taillight connections. There is also a mystery round clip connection near the center of the rear bumper that looks like a factory harness clip?
Any advice on a snap in harness that converts to a common flat 4 trailer plug?
I searched the forum for links. A lot of threads that Are close, but no luck on a ‘plug and play’ with my clip style…View attachment 3058343View attachment 3058344View attachment 3058345View attachment 3058346

View attachment 3058347

- i have crafted my own plug and play trailer plug in - plug out set up on my former 1980 FJ43LV-KCJA USA Spec.

- USING ALL oEM connectors and the available color coded Tracer stripes wire ...

- first things first , HOW MANY terminals are in the round MALE sealed Connectors housing you term as a MYSTERY PLUG ?

- thats One of the OEM CONVOY trailer Lights sockets , YES but for a NON USA application .........

- like @3_puppies Mentions , you have a 2 lamps turn stop and tail set up red and orange , TOYOTA NEVER used some cheezy converter box to be klear , I opted to have stand alone orange turns and the red stop and tail lamps combo lamps any real trailer supply store offers

- i offer these as a 2PC connectors HARNESS SIDE KIT , i also have the GREEN Male housings too , althouh there NOT listed online store , ONLY the females are

- i DO also have all the various sealed round style ones too ,

see below link and PM me if you require OEM genuine real McCoy connectors and terminals , i DO have all the color coded tracer stripes wire in 16ga that you can possibly need :

- Green w / yellow tracer

- Green w / white tracer

- RED w/
blue tracer

- white
w /black tracer

- green w/ black tracer

- Green w./
oarnge tracer

green w / red tracer

- i have oem rubber weather boots too you should consider ....... 🤔

all related to what your trying to do here :cool:

1657793800435.png

1657793814131.png

DSCN2671.JPG

DSCN2670.JPG
DSCN2668.JPG
DSCN2669.JPG
DSCN2673.JPG

1642719187958.jpeg

download (1).jpg

I would suggest using a converter that requires running a separate power source from the battery. Not a fan of adding any load onto old wiring. Any short in the trailer wiring and blows the fuse in the line feeding from the battery. In my FJ62 the wiring gauge used for the tail lights adding a couple incandescent bulbs created an issue. Was a lot harder to conceal the wiring in my FJ62 but made a world of difference.

most likely you will be on your own for wiring.
you will need the convertor box so the trailer doesn't back feed into the truck, as most trailers have brake and turn on the same light versus the Landcruiser that has brake and turn as separate lights
Thanks for the reply, I just hate breaking into the factory wiring harness. You’d figure that somebody would make a few bucks with a t-clip and converter harness made up for us crazy cruisers! Oh well…
I gotta save up for my $300 missing ashtray lid!!!
JD
66BD8D4B-790C-43BD-879B-6E7B8D3EBB16.jpeg

I would suggest using a converter that requires running a separate power source from the battery. Not a fan of adding any load onto old wiring. Any short in the trailer wiring and blows the fuse in the line feeding from the battery. In my FJ62 the wiring gauge used for the tail lights adding a couple incandescent bulbs created an issue. Was a lot harder to conceal the wiring in my FJ62 but made a world of difference.
That is a good idea. Not hard to run separate fused power and conceal in my 40. Thanks.
JD

No splicing on Coolerman's trailer wiring. Plug and play if he makes them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom