Trailer wiring and 7 pin plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently purchased a 2018 200 series. This past weekend I was putting the bike rack on it and noticed there was no plug for a trailer. I already had an appointment at the dealership to have the oil changed and a few other things looked at so when I dropped it off I asked them to look into wiring for a trailer, they said they would. They called me yesterday and told me that the 7 pin plug is located under the vehicle between the spare tire and exhaust and that there is no way to move it. So I will need to crawl under the vehicle anytime I want to pull the trailer or boat. Is this true? This seems like a terrible design? Any feed back or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just recently purchased a 2018 200 series. This past weekend I was putting the bike rack on it and noticed there was no plug for a trailer. I already had an appointment at the dealership to have the oil changed and a few other things looked at so when I dropped it off I asked them to look into wiring for a trailer, they said they would. They called me yesterday and told me that the 7 pin plug is located under the vehicle between the spare tire and exhaust and that there is no way to move it. So I will need to crawl under the vehicle anytime I want to pull the trailer or boat. Is this true? This seems like a terrible design? Any feed back or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Here it is a picture where it is. Easy access and no crawling under is needed.

083577C9-08A6-44D5-9996-9A045C2B8C28.jpeg

Last edited:
No crawling under required. It is easily accessible on the US passenger side of the bumper as shown by the poster above.

Some people complain that it should be on the other side of the vehicle, but I haven’t had any problems. I do have a coiled extension for trailers with short leads that comes in handy sometimes.

If you bought the LC used the 7 pin connector may not have been installed when new. Mine was in a box and I needed to install it myself.

Wow! My 2018 came with one. It was one of the first things I had on my list to check.

I have a newer to me 2015, which unfortunately did not come with the harness. Not sure why it didn't come with one. They all should.

This thread was super helpful, as I showed it to the Lexus part guy who ordered one for me last week.

I'm excited to know that the previous owner didn't tow anything with it. But not so much the price for the plug. 207$ plus tax.

Ours came in a separate box as well and I'm glad the p.o. had it.

Thanks for posting the photo, made finding the location super easy.

I have trashed my 7pin on a 2013. I need to find the part number for the assembly from the harness out. I landed on it a few too many times.

390DBC35-B7BC-4729-BC41-7ED86ECB1A61.jpeg

I have trashed my 7pin on a 2013. I need to find the part number for the assembly from the harness out. I landed on it a few too many times.

View attachment 2819926
82169-60080

Usually cheapest on eBay, and it’s such an obscure part I wouldn’t be worried about counterfeits.

View attachment 2819926
That’s going to be the result under hard wheeling. As you suggest, replacement is the best option. No real good place to relocate with stock rear bumper. I had disconnected mine from the mount and tucked it up with cable ties behind the frame. Then you absolutely have to crawl around underneath to hook up. It became a pain in the butt, especially in wet/muddy conditions. I think the Toyota engineers have picked the best of the available locations.

Yea I've seen a few crushed on rock ledges before. It's a bad spot but short of it being right next to the receiver (which it is not) there's really no better option on the stock setup.

82169-60080

Usually cheapest on eBay, and it’s such an obscure part I wouldn’t be worried about counterfeits.
Thank you
Yea I've seen a few crushed on rock ledges before. It's a bad spot but short of it being right next to the receiver (which it is not) there's really no better option on the stock setup.
you are correct. I kept telling my self I would get a rear bumper. I’m just too short sighted to order a bumper or schedule a time to drive to Colorado and let Slee put one on.

I wonder if it might be possible to modify the mounting plate with a hard to pivot hinge so it could be left horizontal most of the time, but moved to a vertical orientation when going offroad?

B4BEBDF9-898B-4D22-B7C6-F8697109AA3D.jpeg
C6291629-184C-4EDC-9D19-C9A2409A5796.jpeg

So I had originally tucked the connector as the 40 gal would not accommodate the factory set up. I took off the back of the housing and put a bend in the wires with some additional wear protection/sleeving. I’ll see how long this lasts, the wires look pretty robust. If not it’s wire strippers and 90° connectors.

That looks like it should hold up for the long haul.

i know it sounds hokey but what about a fold down bracket with detent provisions in each location? I'll leave design up to you budding engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom