Trailer to get a 40 home from CA? Weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to tow a project 40 home from Oceanside. It's not aligned so no flat tow.

There's enough junk to merit a trailer. Tow vehicle is a Chev 1500/2500 work van with a Class 3 hitch.

Questions:

Anyone have a trailer that'll do a 700 mile round trip that can be spared for cruiser retrival?

What is the appx weight of a stock cruiser?

Thanks all!

Reuben

Stock cruiser weight is around 5000lbs. You should be ok with the van but try and get a trailer with its own braking system.

rdohn said:
I'm looking to tow a project 40 home from Oceanside. It's not aligned so no flat tow.

There's enough junk to merit a trailer. Tow vehicle is a Chev 1500/2500 work van with a Class 3 hitch.

Questions:

Anyone have a trailer that'll do a 700 mile round trip that can be spared for cruiser retrival?

What is the appx weight of a stock cruiser?

Thanks all!

Reuben
A stock cruiser weighs around 4400 pounds. You can rent a dual axle trailer with inertia brakes from Uhaul for 55 bucks. (1 day rental) Go to the Uhaul web site and do a calculation with your vehicle and the cruiser. It will inform you if they will rent you a trailer based on towing vehicle GVW.

Good luck

JB

Ok, good to know. Trailer from uhaul for that price will work just fine, thank you for the suggestion.

I'll post my next question regarding carbs in a new post... :D

Surge brakes (AKA inertia brakes) = bad juju.
U-Haul doesn NOT maintain these systems at all. They register their trailers in states that do not require periodic safety inspections.

Ask me how I know they don't maintain em. :)

Just drive slow, in the right or middle lane, and maintain a huge following distance. You should be fine.

Uhaul Tow Trailers

Actually the one experience I had with the Uhaul trailer was fine the brakes worked excellent. I was not happy having to purchase a light adapter to fit my industry standard electric hook up. Theirs was a piece of junk.

For 50 bucks I went along with it.

Do not know what JUJU is.

JB

Tell uhaul you're towing a VW bug. Don't tell them that you're hauling a Land Cruiser. They major a-holes about the way they calc what you can and can't haul. If i'ts close to your vehicles weight rating they'll send ya packing, without a trailer.

have you checked prices on car hauler companies?? alot of traffic between here and there and you might be surprised to find out that the tow price may be less than gas/time for you to do it.

I spend a lot of time out on the interstates and have noticed over the last few months more and more car carriers out there that are hauling older vehicles. Seems that more and more of the new cars are going by train.

If you are willing to wait for a whole load, you might be able to get a great deal to have it trucked out to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom