Trailer Light and Brake controller Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I just bought a 15 LX570. I need to tow my crawler around but I have been having issues with my trailer lights and brake controller not working correctly.

When I bought the truck it did not come with a 4 or 7 pin connector in the back. I was kinda shocked when I paid $45k for a Mac daddy suv that it didn’t come with a 7 pin connector. My wife’s 15 GX460 came with it and hers is a base model. So what the hell. Either way I bought a plug and play harness from etrailer.com but couldn’t find a plug and play kit for the ‘15 so I bought the one for the ‘13 model thinking it would be the same thing........ I guess I was wrong.

Now when I plug my trailer in the blinkers are so dim you can not even tell they are blinking, my marker lights are always on, and on top of all this my brake controller didn’t even recognize that’s there is a trailer connected. I tried to tow the trailer down my street and the wheels locked up. I unplugged the trailer and it towed perfectly fine back home.

Help help help!!! I want to go wheeling again.

32100A30-54B0-4DA4-9B33-2B17E0D17E07.jpeg

Somehow the wire and plug positions are mixed up. Could be the harness is not compatible with your model. Sounds like the brake circuit is always hot. Hopefully nothing hot is going to ground. Get correct harness or... test outputs from your vehicle plug. Mark positions and rewire the trailer plug to match. That’s the tedious route and then you can’t use a standard wired trailer plug in the future. But it will get you going. Meanwhile you could look for correct harness.

Hey all,

I just bought a 15 LX570. I need to tow my crawler around but I have been having issues with my trailer lights and brake controller not working correctly.

When I bought the truck it did not come with a 4 or 7 pin connector in the back. I was kinda shocked when I paid $45k for a Mac daddy suv that it didn’t come with a 7 pin connector. My wife’s 15 GX460 came with it and hers is a base model. So what the hell. Either way I bought a plug and play harness from etrailer.com but couldn’t find a plug and play kit for the ‘15 so I bought the one for the ‘13 model thinking it would be the same thing........ I guess I was wrong.

Now when I plug my trailer in the blinkers are so dim you can not even tell they are blinking, my marker lights are always on, and on top of all this my brake controller didn’t even recognize that’s there is a trailer connected. I tried to tow the trailer down my street and the wheels locked up. I unplugged the trailer and it towed perfectly fine back home.

Help help help!!! I want to go wheeling again.

View attachment 2384110

Somehow the wire and plug positions are mixed up. Could be the harness is not compatible with your model. Sounds like the brake circuit is always hot. Hopefully nothing hot is going to ground. Get correct harness or... test outputs from your vehicle plug. Mark positions and rewire the trailer plug to match. That’s the tedious route and then you can’t use a standard wired trailer plug in the future. But it will get you going. Meanwhile you could look for correct harness.

I have lookedfor the proper harness. Lexus told me there is no 7 pins for these trucks???? I do not believe that one bit.

I have lookedfor the proper harness. Lexus told me there is no 7 pins for these trucks???? I do not believe that one bit.
Seems there should be one.. but if not you could make a short adapter. Assuming you have all the needed circuits. Brake, running, stop, RH & LH turn and ground. Get 7 pin male & female plug ends and wire the female to standard positions. Then you could plug any trailer in. Kinda weird there’s no factory harness..

Seems there should be one.. but if not you could make a short adapter. Assuming you have all the needed circuits. Brake, running, stop, RH & LH turn and ground. Get 7 pin male & female plug ends and wire the female to standard positions. Then you could plug any trailer in. Kinda weird there’s no factory harness..

B6018544-EA57-4DD3-9376-F4559181C4F3.jpeg

That’s what I said when I called my local dealer. Very strange that my wife’s GX came with the 7 pin but not the LX.

Have you looked in tailgate storage or where the bottle jack is stored? I thought I’ve seen others before say that the harness was not installed on their truck, but in one of those nooks

3 years later and Hopkins is still slanging these harnesses without clear install instructions??

This

3 years later and Hopkins is still slanging these harnesses without clear install instructions??

This

This is perfect! Thank you.

When I bought my LX brand new it comes with the connector, the brake controller harness, and a hitch and ball. None of these were installed they have some pig tales that are just plug and play. I bet whoever bought the SUV originally never installed it and just lost the connector. After 5 years of driving around I hope the connectors were capped even so there just might be gunk in the harness I would get an air compressor and clean out the connections and reinstall. So at least on my 2018 it does come with it but you have to install it. On my 2013 land cruiser that I bought brand new it was already installed 🤷🏻‍♂️ I guess Toyota thinks LX570 owners don’t regularly tow and has it as an option

When I bought my LX brand new it comes with the connector, the brake controller harness, and a hitch and ball. None of these were installed they have some pig tales that are just plug and play. I bet whoever bought the SUV originally never installed it and just lost the connector. After 5 years of driving around I hope the connectors were capped even so there just might be gunk in the harness I would get an air compressor and clean out the connections and reinstall. So at least on my 2018 it does come with it but you have to install it. On my 2013 land cruiser that I bought brand new it was already installed 🤷🏻‍♂️ I guess Toyota thinks LX570 owners don’t regularly tow and has it as an option

Agreed. I think that Toyota thinks Lexus owners don’t tow?!?!? It’s very strange but I did call CarMax where I bought it and I think they are going to help me. So fingers crossed.

This

Somehow I completely missed this when I ran into this about a month ago and thankfully my mechanic of a brother helped determine it was the harness and not the truck. He rewired the pin outs and saved my vacation. Unfortunate that there will be probably be others who run into this after us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom