Trailer Idea's (input)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
with the lack of carrying space I was looking at a trailer that can be towed and go anywhere the cruiser can. (to a point of course) my idea was more like a truck bed size so I can put a tounoe cover to keep things dry type of thing.

found this and think its a great Idea but a little big (heavy too). would it be too heavy? owner towed it with a UNiMOG I guess
its taller than I would think I need, but cool as I can carry more stuff.

what do you think

Trade/sell German manufactured off road cargo trailer

I also have a 350 conversion if that changes things.

864lbs sounds like a lot... that price seems pretty good though... but then again im not current on trailer prices best thing you could do is take the cruiser out there hook it up drive it around for a few miles. do some stop and go get on the highway back it up try and park it.... see how she feels

+ you can always blow torch a few inches off the top.

yeah, well its a bit of a drive from me, and yes I would do that if I could. not to worried about the road, its the off road I would be more curious on over all weight really.
its for a 24V system so I would have to change out some bulbs and change out hte plug to make it work.

MTD,
864 pounds doesn't sound like too much weight to me. A M101 CDN tips the scale at 750 pounds and it is just an open utility type trailer. It appears to me that the closed trailer body itself is around 6' to 7', while the M101 CDN bed is just 6' long with a shorter tongue. Having a longer tongue is actually a good thing, within reason, for offroad driving.

As for price? Well, those US M101 and other surplus trailers that start at $150 are all much bigger and heavier trailers. OK if that's what you need, but not the sort of thing that you want to pull with a 80 series in the back country. Paved and other improved roads, OK, but I can't see that on Engineer Pass for instance.

The enclosed body does look nice and cozy. I'd say the price is not unreasonable and if you can get it cheaper after a little bargaining, a pretty good deal. My concern with it is that its height is going to block vision to the rear in offroad conditions more than I'd like. But it will make a heck of a basecamp trailer:eek:

Last edited:
I also think its a bit high, but your right for a base camp trailer I think it would be awesome.
I will look into the others also. I have seen a few trailers that have taken a cruiser Tub and made a trailer out of it.
I was thinking Cheap and going with an old Datson or toyoto wrecked truck bed type of deal.
just opinons for I still have to figure out my new to me 76 FJ40 with axle/knuckle rebuilds and such.
thanks for your input for sure.

MTD,
864 pounds doesn't sound like too much weight to me. A M101 CDN tips the scale at 750 pounds and it is just an open utility type trailer. It appears to me that the closed trailer body itself is around 6' to 7', while the M101 CDN bed is just 6' long with a shorter tongue. It having a longer tongue is actually a good thing, within reason, for offroad driving.

As for price? Well, those US M101 and other surplus trailers that start at $150 are all much bigger and heavier trailers. OK if that's what you need, but not the sort of thing that you want to pull with a 80 series in the back country. Paved and other improved roads, OK, but I can't see that on Engineer Pass for instance.

The enclosed body does look nice and cozy. I'd say the price is not unreasonable and if you can get it cheaper are a little bargaining, a pretty good deal. My concern with it is that its height is going to block vision to the rear in offroad conditions more than I'd like. But it will make a heck of a basecamp trailer:eek:

MTD,
If you can find a M101 CDN, a M416 US jeep trailer, or other 1/4 ton trailer, that's something I'd hold out for if you want a good backcountry trailer. If you're going to load it with anything close to 500 pound payload, you'll be OK. The 1/4 ton designation applies to offroad use. They'll carry more without too much complaint, although for rough trail use, I'd keep things closer to 500 pounds.

Pickup bed trailers, particularly for mini-truck, are OK if properly set-up, but a good mil surplus trailer is hard to beat for what it sounds like you want to get your hands on.

That's an awesome trailer! Looks like it's in great shape and probably could mod into anything! If I didn't have my trailer and toy truck build, I would jump on it. Even at that price it sounds good. If you could talk him down a bill or two you would be in great shape! I also think, if you could talk him down a bit, that you could get it and try it out a trip or 2 and if you didn't like it, with out modding, you might get your money back if you where to sell it, maybe more?? Just my opinion. It sure does look nice. Good luck.

I think I would have to lift my cruiser to at least match heighth

how do those smaller trailers do at 60-65? I did read some where they were good for slooow speeds. just curious

I would be so all over that trailer!!

Throw another lighter brake axle under it and get rid of that boat anchor on the front...hell.. there's a couple hundred pounds.

That thing is a beauty ...but I like the enclosed ones!

Good luck with your search!

Pat:beer:

I think I would have to lift my cruiser to at least match heighth

how do those smaller trailers do at 60-65? I did read some where they were good for slooow speeds. just curious

I bought my M101 CDN from a fellow TLCA member in Iowa. Towed it home, started out running 70 on the Interstate for home. Having worked in a truck garage, I have a tendency to stop and check the bearings on anything I tow after a few miles. Found it running warm on one side, so had to limp home slow. Not a problem. Pulled things apart at home and found the inside bearing had rusted up, so not neglect, just what happens to trailers that sit during the winter. Fixed, tested and adjusted.

It runs just fine at 70. I know there is a 90 kph restriction on the M101 CDN per the manual, but found a reference where they tested it at 100kph. I think part of the speed restriction was related to what pulled it in Canadian Army service, the Iltis.

In actuality, a well maintained trailer should be fine at Interstate speeds. It has a wide track, due to it's being converted to run LC wheels; that may help. If you have a trailer that doesn't track well, it probably needs some attention. For instance, if you do a SOA conversion there's the potential to not get it done quite square and that could cause problems. Same thing with a bad wheel, etc. Check for a cause.

The other thing a SOA could do is place your center of gravity higher and that could contribute to magnifying any other slight tracking issues you have.

If I was near that trailer and had the money I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Then gut the interior and put in pull out stowage below, under a raised floor. Then an air mattress on top of that for sleeping. Add a couple of side windows. It's much lighter than trying to put a commo shelter in a US M101 or on a US M116, though it is a bit smaller. But its off-road capability would be better.

another vote for the beastie, and 2nd Brian's idea of windows.

just think how much you'd save on the RTT!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom