Trailer hitch wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just purchased a waverunner and I'm trying to figure out if my truck has oreexiating trailer light wiring. I have the 2 inch hitch but the only thing I see are two harnesses that have blank covers over them next to the spare on the passenger side(US car). Are these the trailer wiring harnesses? What do I need to get these connected to a 4 pin trailer?

i just purchased a waverunner and I'm trying to figure out if my truck has oreexiating trailer light wiring. I have the 2 inch hitch but the only thing I see are two harnesses that have blank covers over them next to the spare on the passenger side(US car). Are these the trailer wiring harnesses? What do I need to get these connected to a 4 pin trailer?

Please post a pic of what you have. Specifically, a pic of the "blank covers" you refer to in your post.

Seeing as how I'm due in Alberta bext week to pick up a trailer, I thought it might be good to look under the truck.

This is what I found, sounds like what the OP is describing...

IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5044.JPG

Seems I need to order some parts asap.

Anyone have a good link so I can rush this crap here?

That's the trailer wiring. I use etrailer.com as a go-to place for very fast service on trailer stuff. They will have this. From the posts above, it looks like the OEM part number is 82169-60080 A00.

Last edited:
For anyone in the future that stumbles on this thread, I had the same issue with the harness not being included when I purchased a used 2014 LC200 from a Carmax in Michigan. After digging around, it seems that this should have been installed prior to the original delivery. I spoke to my local Toyota dealer and, since they don't see these very often, they didn't know it was supposed to be there. I went back to Carmax and they contacted one of their sister stores that is a Toyota dealer. They were aware that the harness should have been there and, lucky for me, they did the right thing and got the OEM harness installed for me.

The moral of my little story is it may be worth rattling the chain of the dealer - my local dealer quoted me over $400 to install what should have been there all along.

A note on the hopkins adapter...

I just went through resolving a long issue with them. It looks like their adapters are designed to plug in at the junction right before those that are shown in the pic above. This junction is above the exhaust (circled in green in my attachment). It uses the same plugs, but the pins are reversed. So plugging in the Hopkins adapter at the proper location (circled in red) won't have the right pinout.

They ultimately sent me a new harness with the pins reconfigured. Not sure if they are changing the manufacturing of them to the proper pinout. But be aware of this issue.

lx570 trailer connectors location.jpg

LX570 EWD TT.JPG

I literally just ordered one of these so I may run into this issue. What are the symptoms to watch for with when plugged into the connectors marked in Red on your image? Also, am I reading it correctly that these issues can be resolved by plugging in at the Green spot on your image?

Symptoms will be
- Blown 30amp trailer power fuse at the underhood fuse box if you turn on any circuit (i.e. brake, parking lights).
- Only right signal is correct
- Brake controller will not work/detect trailer

Yes, can be resolved by plugging into the green spot (at least this is what I was told by Hopkins)
-or-
Move the pins on the hopkins adapter, at the connector that goes to the vehicle. You can't change 7-pin end as it's potted in. The mapping is in the wiring diagram, MK2 to QM1 and MK3 to QM2.

I only discovered this all when picking up my new to me Airstream 140miles away from home. Spent an epic 4 hours chasing wiring on the Airstream that hadn't been towed by it's current owner, as I hadn't even consider that it could be my vehicle. After narrowing this down, I cut the Hopkins harness, resolved all wire functions with a voltmeter, and spliced them together with wire nuts to get me home. Not fun to say the least.

Last edited:
So, is it possible to tell if the harness is wired one way or the other? Or do you only find out by blowing some fuses? Ideally, I'd like to be able to look at it before installing and then know whether to plug into the spot in green or the spot in red. Thoughts?

I just went through this and bought the Toyota OEM adapter. No problems at all. Plugged right in, works great with my brake controller and correctly with my trailer. Bought from fellow member here.

Yep. Part number 82169-60080-A purchased from Indygbd. Well worth the extra few bucks to get a reliable OEM solution for me.

I can probably take a pic of my bad harness plugs, that has the wrong pinout.

Alternatively, they sell 7-pin hitch testers which light up for the various functions, which also won't blow any fuses.

Thanks both of you! I'm going to install the Hopkins adapter in the spot in red above since that's the factory spot. Since it's already ordered and was only $30, I'll try it before going the OEM route. I also picked up a Curt 7 Way tester for $10 on amazon that'll be her by the time I get the Hopkins installed. I'll test it in the red location and test it to see if i'm getting the same issues as described by @TeCKis300. If so, I'll then move to the green location and retest. More to come, thanks again for the input here!

Ok, I got the Hopkins harness and went to install but I'm drawing a blank on where it should be installed. Am I missing a predrilled hole in the hitch somewhere? Does anyone have a picture of where they installed theirs? Thanks again all!

Ok, I got the Hopkins harness and went to install but I'm drawing a blank on where it should be installed. Am I missing a predrilled hole in the hitch somewhere? Does anyone have a picture of where they installed theirs? Thanks again all!

Not sure this will help you, but here's where the OEM connector is mounted:

LC200TrailerConnector_22AUG_zps8c9d6272.jpg

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom