Trailer Hitch cargo carriers - 1up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at the go aero hard...but at like $500 it was a bit much and the reviews weren’t stellar. I settled on this one from Amazon...it comes with metal bits to carry 4 bicycles at a time and is very very large. I took the bike parts off but they go back on easily enough.

i wanted it closer to the vehicle and higher up so I cut some of the tongue off, drilled a new hole for the hitch pin, and added a riser...it appears to improve my potential departure angle and allows for a recovery point or the ability to pull my little travel trailer while the basket is attached. I also shortened the riser and drilled a new pin hole for it too.

it hasn’t arrived, but I’ve had such a hard time installing the hitch pin on the 200 series that I purchased the hitch pin I’ll link to as well. I’m hoping it’ll make securing the pin easier.

also, one of the downsides to using these baskets or putting the baskets on a riser is that you lose the ability to get full access to your tailgate...I sort of solved this by installing a 48” toolbox...I drilled holes through the bottom of it and bolted it to the rear tie downs (after removing them). This allows me to keep full use of my 3rd row (including recline) and also keeps all my tools, recovery gear, and a spare alternator stowed in a safe manner.

between the toolbox and 3rd row I can fit a spare cv shaft, starter, axe, and a few soft items (spare clothes.

ive got a ton of stuff in there.

im thinking I may drill some lash points near where you see the waffleboards on the basket, thereby allowing my to strap an easy up between the basket and the truck. I think I’d still have just enough room to scoot in between the easy up and the rear of the truck in the event I need to get into the hatch on a road trip. The waffleboards were just set there to see if they’d fit and because I was thinking if I lashed them there somehow, I’d have an even larger platform.

Tow Tuff TTF-2762ACBR 2-in-1 Aluminum Cargo Carrier with Bike Rack Amazon product ASIN B00PXNC7K0
Master Lock Hitch Pin, Stainless Steel Barrel Head Hitch Pin, Fits 5/8 in. Receivers, 1465DAT Amazon product ASIN B000COX0MY
View attachment 2582626

View attachment 2582627

View attachment 2582628

View attachment 2582629

View attachment 2582630
What craftsman Toolbox is that? I want.

I’ve been barking up this same tree and just doing research. I found Letsgoaero.com had some cool fiberglass hitch enclosures but they are much more expensive than I could justify. Then I saw they have a wide (6’) cargo tray, and what appears to be a pretty inexpensive water resistant expandable bag for that tray.

View attachment 2579697

I was kind of thinking of fabricating a platform for this bag off of an unused aluminum motorcycle carrier I have 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you welding up your own swingarm @TeCKis300 ? And you have probably seen this while researching which I liked the idea of. Just have to know that your camp spot couldn’t require significant drop offs along the trail or you’d be dragging anything something terrible. I was thinking dropping the hitch at a campsite then going further might work.

View attachment 2579717

Damnit! Just seeing this now. I like that bag…
There are just way too many products and i am in full paralysis.

9D1CA064-31F2-412F-A038-CA00F9AFC0CC.jpeg

Just noticed Yakima has released a swingaway hitch carrier system. Has anyone tried one of these on a 200 series?

New 35’s so the tire wouldn’t fit under the vehicle anymore. I bolted a (modified) trailer spare tire holder to the hitch carrier…then bolted a wheel spacer to the spare tire holder.

BUNKER INDUST Spare Tire Carrier - 120LBS Weight Capacity for Side Mount of Trailer Tongue,Fits Most 4 & 5 Lugs Wheels,Hold 3.94″, 4″, 4.25″ and 4.72″ Bolt Patterns https://a.co/d/g5T2uze

9BB1B620-ECA1-43A5-9D6B-69D5510830D8.jpeg

FC71E1C4-3A0E-47DB-8671-E4E5DEF08D3A.jpeg

A37C8759-B1A5-4294-915C-7C371A74EA24.jpeg

81D6D3E1-1C5C-49C0-8606-BFF5260DBA8D.jpeg

260E2419-CCCC-4EE8-B939-6F7000F9F1BE.jpeg

New 35’s so the tire wouldn’t fit under the vehicle anymore. I bolted a (modified) trailer spare tire holder to the hitch carrier…then bolted a wheel spacer to the spare tire holder.

BUNKER INDUST Spare Tire Carrier - 120LBS Weight Capacity for Side Mount of Trailer Tongue,Fits Most 4 & 5 Lugs Wheels,Hold 3.94″, 4″, 4.25″ and 4.72″ Bolt Patterns https://a.co/d/g5T2uze

View attachment 3200919

View attachment 3200920

View attachment 3200925

View attachment 3200926

View attachment 3200927
It wobbled a bit much for my taste to I added a brace. Seems pretty solid now.

4866A6C2-0CDD-4C5F-8636-31A88C5B6530.jpeg

Wow. Looks great, but like a bit of a process to access the back hatch. Do you have plans to replace this with a traditional swing out tire carrier from ARB or is it not as bad as i am imagining?

Wow. Looks great, but like a bit of a process to access the back hatch. Do you have plans to replace this with a traditional swing out tire carrier from ARB or is it not as bad as i am imagining?
I actually went ahead and moved the brace to the swing arm itself…so now I can just pull the pin and swing the whole apparatus rather than having to pull two pins to open it to get to the back hatch.

I don’t have plans to put a traditional swing away-partially because I really like using the hitch carrier basket (which is also a bike rack). Partially also because I already have the Wilco.

When it comes time to replace the tires I may downgrade to a 33.9” tire so I can stow the spare under the car…will see how much I like the 35’s with a tire on the rear until then.

Got my new weather proof cases for the Pakmule! Cases and carrier all made in TEXAS!

View attachment 3241382

View attachment 3241384

View attachment 3241385

I like the Pakmule products - expensive but very well made in the USA.

Been thinking about combining the new Scout model with a Wilco swing out arm and an extender/riser between to keep it high and tight to the tailgate. Should be more than enough space to carry all the camp galley supplies plus some other miscellaneous materials. That way I can maintain the roof and second/third row without having to go rooftop tent or drawers, which are great but less modular/removable for my rig which is still a daily driver.

I like the Pakmule products - expensive but very well made in the USA.

Been thinking about combining the new Scout model with a Wilco swing out arm and an extender/riser between to keep it high and tight to the tailgate. Should be more than enough space to carry all the camp galley supplies plus some other miscellaneous materials. That way I can maintain the roof and second/third row without having to go rooftop tent or drawers, which are great but less modular/removable for my rig which is still a daily driver.

The Scout looks like a great model but the built in floor would be the only thing I wish I had. The two piece design, smaller footprint and lighter load rating don’t help my cause. But if your looking for something to attach to a swing out and don’t mind the above I think it will work better than anything on the market. I know I’ll never get near the load rating but to me it is a perceived strength in the product. I just wanted something that gave me full access to the lift/tail gates even with the cases attached. Call me a fanboy but I just love their stuff and it seems they have something for everyone. They are worth every penny, and once you get one you’ll see.

View attachment 3200919

View attachment 3200920

View attachment 3200925

View attachment 3200926

View attachment 3200927
Are those the 35 10.50's? if so how do you like them? Thinking about trying those on my 8.5" wide Icons.

Are those the 35 10.50's? if so how do you like them? Thinking about trying those on my 8.5" wide Icons.
Yes. I think they look and ride great. Wish I’d gone w a size that fits in spare well though..I was hoping due to my arb rear bumper I’d be able to fit it. But it’s 34.75” actual height on unweighted. No way it’ll fit.

Always wanted 35’s though so had to give them a shot v

I’ll probably switch to 285 70 or 285 75 when an opportunity presents itself. Kenda has some 285 70 r17’s for 170 each…If I find someone interested in the 35’s I may sell them.

Last edited:
What brand are the coolers on your carrier rack?

Oops, I guess that’s an important part of the post.

I have one of their rifle cases too and love them.

C4F0E8C4-F003-4699-856B-FF04452327C3.jpeg

Oops, I guess that’s an important part of the post.

I have one of their rifle cases too and love them.
How do these handle weather extremes with the exposure on the carrier?

How do these handle weather extremes with the exposure on the carrier?
These are military grade cases that are sealed from outside elements (rain, snow, dust). They are not however insulated, so if it’s cold/hot outside it’s the same inside the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom