Trailer hitch cargo carrier - recommendations

Visit site
I think this is the right forum for this ask…but not sure 🤷🏻‍♂️
Has anyone found a well-made trailer hitch cargo carrier? I suspect all of the ones listed on Amazon are cheap Chinese products and the other end of the spectrum is a Pakmule for $800…

I would like to find one that will hold up with several hundred pounds of gear and not have me worrying every mile if it’s going to snap.

Thanks in advance!!

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Visit site
that would depend in part on how many hundreds of pounds is "several hundred pounds", whether this will be asphalt or dirt, and how easily you worry... :)

Visit site
that would depend in part on how many hundreds of pounds is "several hundred pounds", whether this will be asphalt or dirt, and how easily you worry... :)
Let’s call it a max of 200-250lbs, variable based on if/how successful I am through hunting season…😆
90% asphalt, 10% dirt, but not legit off-roading; tame fire roads at worst.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Visit site
I have something like this which has served me very well over the years. Mine isn't a Curt but is very similar to the design and build of it. Mine doesn't flip up like this one. Someone took the flip up bit off of mine and made it solid. Mine is all steel (no aluminum games), but is fairly heavy as a result. Have had many people run into the back of it with their car not seeing it. Its handled multiple hits from all sides and doesn't even have a scratch on it. I'd like to see someone break it. HTH:

Edit: Heres a shot of it I found when I was using it to haul stuff behind my Jeep:

IMG_0738.JPG

Last edited:

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Visit site
well, with 250 lbs and mostly asphalt, you can probably get by with a low to medium quality unit as far as it keeping together. Personally, I would go medium quality or better just because of the potential liability. So, for me that would mean a brand name like Curt etc rather than Harbor Freight or Northerntool generic chinese stuff. But I suspect that even those latter ones would do fine, just look then for a reasonable design and keep an eye on things as far as it loosening up. TBH building something like that sturdy enough is not exactly rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom