Trailer and multiple batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I am setting up a 4X4 camping trailer based on the M416 design. I want to have TWO batteries in the trailer - one for accesories (fridge), and one (removeable) for stand-by and trolling motor use. Hellroaring in Montana makes an isolator that I believe works for this purpose.

My questions:

1.) Should I invest in a high output alternator to help out with the charging duties?

2.) Should I run a separate (8 awg?) wire and connector to the trailer for charging, or just let it charge through the trailer electrical connection.

Thanks for any pointers...

Mike S

#1- Yes.

#2- I would go with a heavier gauge feed wire #4 finestrand, super-flexable.

I have done buisness with this company in MN for over ten years, they have an incredible assortment of wiring supplies....

http://www.waytekwire.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

It depends on which Hellroaring isolator you are going to get. I would check with them for your apllication and wiring needs. I have the 85150 in mine with a dual battery and power to the trailer plug. I just have 10 awg running to my second battery and the trailer (7 way rv plug) and have had no problems. You are only using it to charge the batteries, not run off of or combine with your main battery.

As far as the higher output alternator, it couldn't hurt :).

I second the Waytekwire. You could build almost anything with their catalog.

Brandon,
Olympia, WA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom