Trail Traler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Just wondering about a trail trailer. I know about the small military ones and I have seen outfitted ones on the net and such but they cost a lot of the green stuff that's hard to come by... Anybody ever build their own? I saw custom made one down at Cruise Moab this year that was behind a 60. It seemed to be modeled after the small military ones.

I have one of those chopped-off mini truck trailers, but it seems kinda heavy, not to mention, maybe kinda wide. I wouldn't want to run it around on any trials with me, but it could be dropped off at camp or something like that... Obviously, the best option is to not pull a trailer around on a trail, but on expeditionistic trails, it could be really handy (way handier than trying to tip my SOA FJ60 over because I have a million tons on the roof rack).

Anyway, ideally, the thing should be as light as possible, but yet durable. Anyone got any plans or anything like that?

Also, post up any ideas on how to design such a trailer and what sort of "outfitting" you would do to it.

-Ferg-

land rover used to have trailers that hooked up between the series landrovers, that were driven off a PTO shaft, and had articulating suspension and tow hitch (can you say 6WD?)

that'd be cool.... spendy prob.

There is a company called "buffalo low" that makes offroad trailers similar to the military ones you refered to and they are supposed to be really light and take up to a 35in tire

I have been doing a lot of research onbuilding my own. I saw on alaska offroad a trailer built by a guy there using a subaru torsional rear axle and it is sweet. I plan to use the subaru axle and put spacers on the hubs to run 6 on 5.5 to match my cruiser. I could buy one but I think when I would I would have to give up some of the options that I want. I wish I could afford to have one "custom" built but with a little time and energy I could build one that would probally exceed all my expectations.

If you cannot find alska offroad let me know and I will forward you the address

By far the most well thought out camper I have seen, seats 4 inside king size bed, full kitchen front and 4 x side storage boxes, and sets up in about 4 minutes.

I did a review for www.offroadshop.com.au on them too here
http://www.offroad.au.com/reviews/Ultimate-Camper---Part-2.cfm

http://www.ultimatecampers.com.au/

alayers2.gif

I've frequently thought of using a minitruck bed. WHY? because on expedition-type excursions, I'd not likely need anything smaller, and it wouldn't be any wider than my FJ55. Also, with blocks on the springs, 35's would fit fine (SOA cruiser on 35's).

The reason is this: I can pull it where I'm going, drop it off at camp, and lock it up and it'll be secure. All my camp equipment can be in the trailer instead of the truck. The truck is for transport and trail riding, not for hauling, in this scenario.

In the middle of the Nevada desert, 4 or 5 5gal jerry cans isn't absurd, as fuel can be few and far-between. I'd rather haul that in the trailer, to be honest. Along with two spare tires, camping equipment, tools, spare parts, etc. That way when I get to my destination, I can unhook the trailer and set up camp, and use the truck for something else.

This also would be killer for going on a trip. Load up fresh food in the trailer, gas up the spare fuel cans, and go. It would not be inconceivable to use the fuel tank that came WITH the truck the bed/frame etc was from, and fill that and use an electric fuel pump to fill the gas tank of the land cruiser, too.

Either way, I think a low center of gravity would be important, I wouldn't want it loaded much higher than the top of the bed.

I've got an M-416 and I love it. There is some place up in Canada that sells the old Canadian military surplus trailers. Pretty reasonable from what I remember seeing. They are almost identical to the M416. I think John (Landpimp) has details on where.

Toygeek - I'm building one of those too. 35s, fuel tank with pump, water tank, battery, shell, lights, gear, spares, tools, etc. Center of gravity is a concern here too. Doing some fender trimming to keep it from being too tall. I'm working out a skid design to go under the tongue so if I get stuck with the trailer I can unhook, get through the obstacle, then winch the trailer through. Even putting a pick-up rollbar in just in case. Set-up camp and go wheelin is the plan.

http://www.whiteowl.com/trailers.html Scroll to bottom of page.
Mvc_009s.jpg

Three guys in the GA Cruisers bought these, cleaned them up, repainted and had the inside line-x'ed. Perfect size, supposedly pulls very well both on and off road (spring loaded twist clevis style hitch, shocks) . And not all that expensive.

[quote author=toygeek link=board=14;threadid=6585;start=msg59208#msg59208 date=1068047371]
Hammerhead- Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking that would work well. Do you have any pictures?
[/quote]Nope - trying to get digital and catch up with the times.

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=14;threadid=6585;start=msg59581#msg59581 date=1068093244]
I like that Australian set up. But doesn't www.'whatever'.au (mainly the ".au" part) mean good f*ckin luck getting it OVER HERE?????
[/quote]

Bummer, isnt it...... weve been having that back from this end for bloody years..... :flipoff2:

SUFFER IN YOUR JOCKS!!! :D

If planned right, custom is the way to go. I built my trailer with 2" square tubing, aluminum box and fenders, trailer parts like axles, springs, wiring and lighting from a trailer parts supplier. Wheels are factory 80's, with matching LT/MS. Coupler is for a 2" ball and the length is adjustable. You want the length adjustable so you can take the trailer wheeling if you have to and shorter when you are on the road. Future mods includes coil suspension, pintle hook/eye setup and 40"+ tires. :)

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=14;threadid=6585;start=msg60106#msg60106 date=1068175859]
Correction, it is length not lenght.
[/quote]

that's cool. you can hit "modify" that's a button on your post when you view it again... :cheers:

Thanks, bad_religion_au, now I know how to do it. Thanks mate and cheers!

no probs. although the method you used does increase the post count. gets off rookie faster :)

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=14;threadid=6585;start=msg60104#msg60104 date=1068175512]
If planned right, custom is the way to go. I built my trailer...[/quote]

Dude, you got pics or drawings? I'd love to build my own, but don't know quite where to start...

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. You need to find out what you are going to haul in it. In my case, large cooler,tool box,duffle bags, grill, stove, pots and pans and 2nd spare tire etc..The box I built was 32 cu.ft.(4'x4'x2') made out of 1/8" aluminum panel bolted to the square tube framing which is 1/4 thick.The back of the trailer has a trailer hitch. It is strong and yet lightweight.

I saw one of the white owl trailers the other night. They are like new. The only drawback with them, as with the US military style is the small size and large weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom