Trail spares thoughts (a list for review) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always wonder at what point with all that extra weight In your 80 it starts causing problems for capability and drivetrain failures..

I think it's a good idea to think through things like this, and there is no objective answer to what is right amount of stuff to bring. For me, one of the reasons I replaced my starter, WP, radiator, every hose and clamp in the cooling system, the O2 sensors, the EFI and circuit opening relays, the heater control valve, PHH, fusible link, rad and gas caps (I'm sure there's more), is so that I would feel confident going into the field without taking a bunch of parts with me. I'd rather have a new part installed, than a used part installed, and a new (or used) part on board ready to swap in.
Looking back at my baselining, I wish I had kept these used and still functioning parts when I took them off, so that I could bring them as trail spares:
Rad hoses and clamps
Longest spark plug wire
Wheel and trunion bearings
Spark plug or two
Belts

I tossed my old ones, though they were still working. Now I don't really want to buy new ones just to have as trail spares.

Just my two cents.

As an old Boy Scout, it is always good to be prepared; however, never fail, something will break that you were not ready for. Case in point, this summer our club went to Colorado with six 80 series rigs. We all have various trail spares. If the starter, distributor, power steering pump, any driveshaft or axle had an issue, we were covered. Of course, the only thing that went out was an alternator -- and I drove 4 hours away to pick one up. So, my point is take the low hanging fruit, but have in your "toolbox" phone numbers of people that live in the area you are going that are local cruiser heads and all the major parts Guys. Kurt at Cruiser outfitters, Christo at Slee, etc and know where the closest town is that has parts stores. Don't forget that Amazon delivers just about anywhere now, with drop boxes too. Before you go, reach out on the clubhouse forums that you are going to be in that area and get advice for local shops if you break down.

From the original list, I would not carry a knuckle around. I would take a brake line plug, or cap. and a ham radio if you are disabled off grid.

Data point:
COR 95+ trucks - same as EFI relay
COR 94< trucks- Denso 567-0036

please verify, but I believe this is correct

The COR allows power to the fuel pump. If you are in an FZJ80, it’s located behind the left kick panel. It’s not a well known fail point but I’m not into being broken down. We not only crawl rocks in our 80 but we take long road trips too. It’s a very versatile machine.

Brakes:
  • Hard line near front swaybar mount (used)
Great list, which I’m using to add to my trail spare list.

Does anyone know the name or part number of the brake hard line mentioned above?

Last edited:
I’d take a spare spindle with bearings versus the knuckle housing bring and lock rings for it. It’s actually twice that I should have had that with me.

Not sure if your alternator has external regulator, but easy to bring.

Resetable spare fuses. If you get a short somewhere and don’t have time to identify and fix it, you will slowly burn through all spare fuses.

Had a short connected to my window circuit once in hot weather without a properly working AC system in mosquito country... Think about that...

Not to boast, but with a manual transmission need for a starter is less for pull or rolling starts.

Hopefully with the heavier axles going in spare shafts will be unneeded, as well as hub parts. Might get a spare unit bearings later.

Brake caliper bolts are handy to have, get a variety of hoses that will work for gas/oil/diesel/coolant and a variety of hose clamps in almost all sizes. Slide the smaller ones into the larger ones and tuck in the rear quarter panels. Not just for you, but for others in 60 or 40 series or other domestic rigs.

A bottle of whiskey or similar. Good to have to say thanks for the help should you need it, or to a farmer or land owner for (after) giving you permission to access or hunt on their land, or to drink when your up sh!t creek and got nothing else to do but wait for help to arrive.

I also leave an old beat up sleeping bag in the truck, if you gotta climb under the truck in cold weather on snow it’s handy. As well as an extra set of boots and a warm winter jacket with gloves in the pockets and a few extra hike out at night accessories, flashlights and some sort of energy bars etc in the pockets.

Steering box.

khlpjB3h.jpg

Steering box.

khlpjB3h.jpg
Last time I snapped the output shaft off a steering box I ended up veering over a 60' river bank. Not sure I could have carried enough spares for that fix.

That's a sexy crack in the cross brace frame mount there too. o_O

[edit: I'm possibly the worst typist, ever]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom