Trail Run This Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We still hadn't had enough, so we crossed the highway and ran trail 11 to Four Peaks road. Found this nice late model Dodge that needs to be removed. Dude it's got a hemi.:rolleyes:
11-26-2006_18.jpg
11-26-2006_19.jpg
11-26-2006_20.jpg

Kevin and Rob, thanks for coming out to go 'wheeling tis weekend, we had a blast, as always.

First, some pictures from the Crown King run; the on-trail proctology re cactus spines being only a minor distraction:grinpimp: , and since Kevin and Rob - having attended Blazer Bash - now need to see Chevy breakage, the homemade EGR pipe on my K5 obliged...:whoops: :cheers:

Someone tell the guys on ATVs to behave on the trail, or they can fight their own access fight. I guess it's the same as skiers vs. snowboarders, but Friday would have been more pleasant without having to deal with ATV riders...
DSC02646.jpg
DSC02655.jpg
DSC02659.jpg

Sunday, northwest of Sycamore Creek...
DSC02694.jpg
DSC02700.jpg
DSC02721.jpg

Allright, after the server updates, some more pictures:

First Rob coming down the descent, and some more whoop-dee-doos...
DSC02728.jpg
DSC02734.jpg
DSC02743.jpg

So the trail drops into a trench littered with rocks and boulders; we walk it, and Kevin proclaims there's the line for the '40, and I spot Claudia thru (by the way, this is Michael, posting as my alter ego, since I don't have enough picture priviledges under my own login...).

Claudia makes it without much trouble, maybe a slight rock kiss at the flare. But with the '40 in the Rock Trench, it appears there doesn't seem to be too much space for the bigger trucks waiting above...

So now Kevin is next, and space is suddenly at a premium. By the way, who thought it would be fun to put the catalytic converters where they are on the LX/80???
DSC02746.jpg
DSC02749.jpg
DSC02757.jpg

Play-by-play continued as Kevin slowly makes it thru the Trench, crawling yet another boulder, and a teeter-totter with 2 feet of air under the front, a brief relief, and another rock jam....

And methinks this all was more like 200 feet rather than 200 yards....
DSC02763.jpg
DSC02768.jpg
DSC02775.jpg

The more eyes, the better, as we slowly pick our way thru another set of boulders as we finally get the truck close to the exit chute...
DSC02776.jpg
DSC02779.jpg
DSC02782.jpg

A little more maneuvering at the exit, and finally it's thumbs up for making it out unscathed!

A final picture of Rob making it thru the entry to the Trench, and that's pretty much the end of my camera battery...

Thanks to Kevin for spotting me in the K5 through the Trench; when I ran up to get my truck after all the spotting, I was thinking to myself "Confidence levels are high!" Being quite a bit wider posed a few problems, but then again, my truck has sliders, and we made good use of them; also, the stock rear bumper on the K5 has been replaced with a stout tube version including gas tank protection, so hitting the rear corners is no big deal...

All in all, a terrific day! We didn't expect to go rockcrawling on this outing, but making it through the Rock Trench added the exclamation point and put a big grin on everyone's face! Can't wait to go out again, is it Christmas yet? :beer: :beer: :beer:
DSC02785.jpg
DSC02788.jpg
DSC02793.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun! Whens the next similar run?

so far, we are shooting for December 23 :D more than once sometime around Christmas anyway :grinpimp:

keep tuned in, we will post up

Kevin and Michael thanks for the trip reports. Wish I could have made it. Hope to join you for the 23rd.

I like the look of that rocky part you guys went through....looks like I could really have some fun playing with different lines there.:D

Yup, but size of the vehicle would be an issue - with a fullsize in there, there wasn't that much choice. Also, coming down the wash was o.k.; not really sure whether going up would have happened for us. Traction was good, none of that ball-bearing decomposed granite, and no spots where one had to climb out of soft stuff.

I hate you guys. I quit watching this thread when you decided to go to Crown King on Friday, the day I couldn't go. I didn't see the Sunday plans- and I definitely would have been there. Bastages. :crybaby:

-Spike

I hate you guys. I quit watching this thread when you decided to go to Crown King on Friday, the day I couldn't go. I didn't see the Sunday plans- and I definitely would have been there. Bastages. :crybaby:

-Spike

OH, so now it's our fault that YOU dropped the ball?:confused: :flipoff2: :crybaby: :lol:

I hate you guys....

Duly noted :grinpimp: ;p. That said, I think you would have liked the trail :cheers:

But did you really think we'd come all the way to AZ and then only run a single dirt road all weekend ? :cool:

I like the look of that rocky part you guys went through....looks like I could really have some fun playing with different lines there.:D

As Michael said it's very tight, had to plan the line onto the next rock and come off of the rock we were on at the right angle, there was little or no room to maneuver between them. It was a fun spot, you and BMAN would have a good time in there. I would like to try it up hill, but will wait until I have sliders and rear bumper, way too stressful having my unprotected :princess: paint that close to rock. Made it without significant damage, but any screw up would have been real ugly!:eek:

As Michael said it's very tight, had to plan the line onto the next rock and come off of the rock we were on at the right angle, there was little or no room to maneuver between them. It was a fun spot, you and BMAN would have a good time in there. I would like to try it up hill, but will wait until I have sliders and rear bumper, way too stressful having my unprotected :princess: paint that close to rock. Made it without significant damage, but any screw up would have been real ugly!:eek:

I was just thinking that as I looked through the pictures...looked like a great time!!!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...looks like a couple of ya had to really watch out for the sheetmetal on that section. Having the added clearance, sliders, and bumpers...I think I could keep myself busy without having to worry too much about taking any particular line and just wing it. I need to get my cage built and these axles underneath:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom