Trail Report- Sat June 24 Beasley Knob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We had 6 trucks show up, Brian McCormick and son with his FJ40, Josh Schmitt and girfriend in his FJ40, me and my buddy Tom in my FJ40, Henry and family in his 40, Nelson Wilkinson and Dan Kunz in Nelson's 80 and Josh Schaefer and a couple buddies in his 80.

Hit the trails a little late, by around 10:30, only two of us had ever been to Beasley before, and no one had recently.

As we were heading up the first part of Rattlesnake hill (one of the more difficult trails) the trouble started with Schmitty's steering shaft losing a keyway. After staring at the problem for awhile, we found an allen key that fit, and retained with a hose clamp, gave Schmitty steering the whole way out.

After about a half hour of delay and winching Josh up to a flat spot since he'd lost momentum we got started again.

The next obstacle was fairly tricky, Henry had to winch over it. We kept working up the mountain until Henry, the trail leader now, hit a rock a little too hard and bent/inverted a front spring, popped a tire, and snapped a pinion all at once. Now the truck was stuck with 2wd so we were facing a winchfest and had no idea which way was the quickest/easiest out.

After some jacking and a lot of winching, Henry got to a flat spot where I was able to get around and strap him anywhere else he had trouble.

Josh's 80 then suffered a flat from the same spot that claimed Henry's tire/pinion/spring.

After a few phonecalls to some Georgia Bounty Runners that knew the area well, we figured out the quickest way out, everyone was pretty tired and scared of more breakage by this point.

So it took us around 3 and half, 4 hours to cover 1500 yards of steep, loose trail.

Damage report-
Josh Scmitt's steering shaft
Josh Schaefer's new 35" BFG
Henry's front pinion, PS spring, and one 33" swamper.

Pretty intense for what was supposed to be a light day trip.

Beasley is definatly a place trucks with at least one locker and 33" tires. Winches sure came in handy, and I would never go after a rain.

I didn't have my camera, but some pictures should be comin up from others.

I can only imagine what it wouldve been like if it had actually rained any this summer.

Bailey--

Let's go next time I'm in Atlanta.....can we do a day of it?

Nice report...glad I bought the winch.

:grinpimp:

Nice write up Bailey here are some pics Brian sent me this afternoon. Nothing too spectacular but better then the pics I took bc i didn't take any.

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image006.jpg

image010.jpg

image014.jpg

image016.jpg

image012.jpg

image008.jpg

josh breaks again

Josh is always breaking something :flipoff2:

Did anyone stay and camp out Sat night?

sounds like you guys had fun :D............ sorry us UC guys couldn't make it.

that terrain looks really rocky, those pics really make me want to get over to Beasley Knob and give it a try.

The front side of the climb is, the back side we went down was a mud chute... luckily for us it was mostly dry. When wet Beasley would suck...

It was definitely was very muddy after the rainstorm on Saturday night. After Brian and I camped on Saturday night we rode one trail or should I say we slid down the last trail on the way out. You don't want to be anywhere near that place after a good rain I will be a winch fest for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom