Trail recommendations near Yellowstone / Montana? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another member on t4r.org suggested I post here looking for leads on trails in MT as I'm headed from Vancouver, B.C. to Yellowstone Aug 5-10, taking the I-90. (I know the Big Sky overland rally is happening that weekend, but I won't have time to check it out.) Anyone have suggestions on some off-road / backroad trails that are worth checking out on the way there? I'm thinking of taking either the 191 or 89 south towards Yellowstone.

I have some leads on Gallatin Canyon and Cooke City, though more details on Gallatin Canyon area is definitely welcome.

If anyone is up for a trail run for a couple of hours and wants to take point, I'd be up for that as well.

Thanks!

Another member on t4r.org suggested I post here looking for leads on trails in MT as I'm headed from Vancouver, B.C. to Yellowstone Aug 5-10, taking the I-90. (I know the Big Sky overland rally is happening that weekend, but I won't have time to check it out.) Anyone have suggestions on some off-road / backroad trails that are worth checking out on the way there? I'm thinking of taking either the 191 or 89 south towards Yellowstone.

I have some leads on Gallatin Canyon and Cooke City, though more details on Gallatin Canyon area is definitely welcome.

If anyone is up for a trail run for a couple of hours and wants to take point, I'd be up for that as well.

Thanks!

Some posts from my blog:
One of my favs right off the beartooth highway:
https://backcountryadventuretime.wordpress.com/trail-report-goose-lake-trail/

Ends off the beartooth highway. you could follow the trail we took backwards and turn around
Trail Report – Morrison Jeep Trail – Clark Wyoming

Theres more on my blog.

Another club members report from "Independence"
Trail Report: Independence (Blue Lake)

Another one (relatively short & easy out-and-back, can be done in a stock 4x4 if you don't mind babyheads and being near some drop-offs) is Hellroaring Road just outside of Red Lodge. It climbs to the plateau on the opposite side of the canyon from 212, and the views are worth it, especially if you're willing to do a little bit of hiking up top. I'd also suggest spending a night in Red Lodge if you're around midweek at all, but I'm a bit biased. Weekends this time of year are a bit busier, but it's still a cool little town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom