Trail Fix - Hitch Pin for Front Radius Arm Bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

I was out in Mojave National Preserve this past weekend, losing my fillings along the washboard roads for longer than I care to recall. Do you ever keep thinking, "I should pull over and air down," and then just keep driving? I do that more than I should.

We stopped to check out the lava tubes (very cool) and my buddy asked me why I was missing a bolt on my front suspension. I was shocked to see that the front, top bolt on my DS radius arm was missing - totally gone. That was not good, as we were miles in and I had no replacement bolt on hand. I thought about using the bolt on my exhaust Y pipe, which I put on a couple years back to hold together my aging exhaust. The bolt was too short, and pretty narrow for the application. As I walked around the truck, I noticed the pin in my trailer hitch. I just had a recovery shackle connection in there, which I pulled out. It turns out that 5/8" pin is an exact fit for either of the front bolts in the radius arm. I drove off the trail and a few hundred miles home with that pin in place - checking it regularly and keeping alert. The rear bolt in the radius arm is a different part number, so I'm thinking it's a different diameter but I'm not sure.

20210313_140524.jpg

So, my takeaways from this experience are as follows:
1) Put a ratchet on all those bolts under your truck on a regular interval - I had my lift installed by a shop about 8 years ago, and I've done a lot of off-road miles since then. I should have checked that bolt;
2) Carry a spare hitch pin - why not? It's a pretty small thing to carry, and has at least two uses;
3) Inspect your rig regularly - this is kind of a restatement of 1. Just don't assume things are holding together. Everything is easier, and a whole lot safer, to fix in your driveway or garage.

I also whacked my hand with an engineer's hammer while trying to finesse the pin through the bushing - it's hard to get a good shot on the curved hitch pin handle.

20210313_140530.jpg

Good luck. YMMV.

The usual method for this mod is to remove the hitch pin while offroad, not put one in.

*For the record, long term use of the hitch pin mod, especially if the pin is left in place offroad, can cause the bracket holes to become elongated.

Hitch pin fix? More like hitch pin MOD! Pull that bolt and let your suspension flex baby

WxC841Z.jpg

Haha, great way to think outside of the box. It's easy to say just leave the hole empty for more flex. But when you are the only vehicle and miles away from home, pavement, or any kind of service, it is easy to get nervous. I also would have found something to stick in that hole, I would have been way to worried about potential problems and returning home to just run it empty for more flex.

That's funny, I didn't realize others had stumbled across the same thing. Yeah, I'll be leaving a properly torqued bolt in that hole at all times. My truck is not a rock crawler, and that bolt looks pretty important to me.

The saying around here is check you NUTS, this should include the lower knuckle bolts. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom