Trail communications for club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A friend of mine is a licensed ham guy and belongs to a local club. We may be able to sign up for the class and test ETC through him as a group. I researched this a few months ago and would like to get my license too.

I will say the HAM guys take the testing very seriously! I don't think they liked that we sat with 2 peaple per table.

If this ends up not working out, we could all group buy radios used for hunting and such. They are likely more expensive, but can be programmed to operate on a private channel and/or set up as a group and the range would easily cover several hundred yards or more. Or I will get a CB or a HAM radio.

I have radios very similar to these and they do work well, but 36 miles is BS unless it's a clear line of sight.
Midland Handheld Two Way Radio Pair — 36-Mile Range, Camo | www.kotulas.com | Free Shipping

Another thing. CB's work just fine, why are we re-inventing the wheel?

Having used both HAM and CB, I’d opt for HAM any day of the week.

Another thing. CB's work just fine, why are we re-inventing the wheel?
FWIW, I was one of those who refused to change from CB because it was "good enough". Until it's not, like when I fell behind on a trail in Moab and was not able to reach any of the trucks in front of me.
Being in an unfamiliar area without communication really sucks. I've been there and it changed my mind very quickly. Honestly, I kick myself for not doing it sooner.
Yes, in many situations CB radio is adequate, the same way that 8 track tapes were good enough. Technology moves on and CB radio is stuck in 1978.

FYI, this is the updated ham freq list for CMCC as of 2015:

GCLC 147.460
GRN 1 146.415
GRN 2 146.430
GRN 3 146.475
GRN 4 146.490
BLU 1 146.515
BLU 2 146.530
BLU 3 146.545
BLU 4 146.560
BLK 1 146.575
BLK 2 146.590
BLK 3 147.500
BLK 4 147.515
RED 1 147.530
RED 2 147.545
RED 3 147.560
RED 4 147.575
SPARE 147.590

These are the 2 Pine Grove repeaters. IIRC only 1 is operational as of last year.
PNGRV1 145.170 - 0.6 Tone 110.9
PNGRV2 146.640 - 0.6 Tone 82.5

Personally I'm not looking forward to studying and taking a test but will if I have to. If the Capital City guys did it so can we in Keystone.

I hate the CB radio in my truck. It's a supposedly great Cobra 40 channel unit and I have a great big Firestik antenna. Had the antenna adjusted to tune the radio a few years ago at the Coal Mine campground. I still hate it. We weren't even out of the staging area this past Saturday when I said F___ it and turned it off. The Ham radios work quite well- from what I've seen and experienced the voices come through clearly and strongly and with little or no static. This by far beats any experience I've had on the trail with my CB. I look forward to the day when I remove the CB radio from my 40. My two cents...................

And Chris- how hard was the test anyway?????

Is anyone really going to get in trouble without taking the test? Seems like just a tax for what? What does the license do for you?

I will say the HAM guys take the testing very seriously! I don't think they liked that we sat with 2 peaple per table.

Just as getting in trouble for permit issues around your house being most likely if you are on the outs with a neighbor, I think the HAM thing is a self-policing issue. Another HAM who takes it seriously and takes offense at something you've done is going to be the one reporting you.

Now, how likely it is that someone is going to report you for use a few times a year while wheeling is another question.

FWIW, I was one of those who refused to change from CB because it was "good enough". Until it's not, like when I fell behind on a trail in Moab and was not able to reach any of the trucks in front of me.
Being in an unfamiliar area without communication really sucks. I've been there and it changed my mind very quickly. Honestly, I kick myself for not doing it sooner.
Yes, in many situations CB radio is adequate, the same way that 8 track tapes were good enough. Technology moves on and CB radio is stuck in 1978.

Records are the new rage.... lol I hear ya. Get it? "hear" ya. I'll be here all night folks, don't forget your bartenders.

Just as getting in trouble for permit issues around your house being most likely if you are on the outs with a neighbor,
Now, how likely it is that someone is going to report you for use a few times a year while wheeling is another question.

That was my thought. If I do go that direction, I'll use it here and there while wheeling. Not like I'm gonna be on it all the time, I've got other hobbies.

Just as getting in trouble for permit issues around your house being most likely if you are on the outs with a neighbor, I think the HAM thing is a self-policing issue. Another HAM who takes it seriously and takes offense at something you've done is going to be the one reporting you.

I was put off by the test also, but it's pretty easy. There's no age restriction and I've seen 12 year old kids get their tickets.
The ticket is good for 10 years, so it's not like you need to retest every year.
Yes, it takes a bit of time and effort on your part, but it's the right thing to do and you may even learn something.

You can always get Bofangs and use the public VHF channels like we (CLCC) use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom