Trail Comms - Comment thread and poll (1 Viewer)

What radios do you already have? Please select all that apply.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
pigmony

pigmony

At the 11January2022 406 Cruisers Meeting we talked about updating the Club Bylaws, specifically the Minimum Vehicle Requirement to have a CB Radio. I think it's been a fairly universal experience that CB leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to trail comms in our area. We took an informal poll of the people in attendance at the meeting to see what equipment people already have, but I thought it would be a good idea to put this poll up here on MUD to collect more data. I'd appreciate it if you could encourage the folks you know to weigh in. The poll will be open for 10 days (closing on 24January2022). This poll is purely for data collection.

secretasiansam

secretasiansam

I just have hand held cb. It is garbage. But it doesn't make sense to have the main governing body TLCA have a different requirement than local clubs. I'm also not a member of either and won't be on any group runs.
I have a Garmin inreach if I need backcountry comms.

pigmony

pigmony

I just have hand held cb. It is garbage. But it doesn't make sense to have the main governing body TLCA have a different requirement than local clubs. I'm also not a member of either and won't be on any group runs.
I have a Garmin inreach if I need backcountry comms.
Your point about TLCA having a different requirement than our local club is very valid. However, (apparently) TLCA isn't actually using CB at their own events. It may be a case of the requirements lagging behind the reality on the ground.

Boondocker_153

Boondocker_153

Your point about TLCA having a different requirement than our local club is very valid. However, (apparently) TLCA isn't actually using CB at their own events. It may be a case of the requirements lagging behind the reality on the ground.

It's okay if you call me a conspiracy theorist but here's the reasons I will never have a ham license.

pigmony

pigmony

It's okay if you call me a conspiracy theorist but here's the reasons I will never have a ham license.
There are several reasons why the remote "ham shack" is a thing.

That said, the license/test is probably the biggest stumbling block for the adoption of HAM. At least it's the part most people talk about. CB has no licensing requirement while GMRS and FRS both have a no-test license.

pigmony

pigmony

asking for a fren. i wonder if its a violation of federal law if i never updated my address since i got my ham license
I have a fren with a similar situation. I believe that our frens could probably have their licenses revoked, if the FCC had enforcement staff to deal with code violations at that level. As it is, it takes them months or years to deal with illegal transmitters and pirate radio stations.

pigmony

pigmony

Bumping the thread for visibility and to ask that if you've already participated would you pass a link to this thread on to your friends and neighbors.

I sometimes wonder if there are people who don't come to meetings or trail rides because they're lacking some piece or have the "wrong" piece of the Minimum Vehicle Requirements. If anyone in that situation happens to see this post, I do hope you come to a meeting. There's no better place to meet up with folks who can lend you gear or help you get set up with what you need.