Trading my 62 for a 40- Couple ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, am I crazy? :D I just really like the 40's.

Giving up the power everything, a/c (I live in Arizona), pretty comfortable ride etc. for a bumpy, non a/c, COOL AS HELL ride~ I've been going back and forth, but I'll be picking up a 1972 Freeborn Red 40 this weekend.

Has anyone already downgraded / upgraded from a 62 to a 40 - what will be the biggest changes?

I've looked at a lot of pics of 40's wheeling and haven't noticed a problem, but I would think that the extended front bumper and frame that comes out so far would decrease approach angles- Not true?

Also- I spent yesterday looking through Moab pics and can't find one of a 40 crossing Golden crack. Anyone have one or know where one is?

Been reading the posts for the last 3 months- You guys are a wealth of knowledge!

I looked for an old one I had of Nolens "kate" doing the crack at moab. cant seem to find it. But that was back when Kate had a body.

Rezarf <><

And no, you are a smart man to swing over to the 40 side!

Sweet rig, all the bads that you listed but the ability to go TOPLESS... ahhh I miss summer already.

Rezarf <><

cool- thanks.

Funny thing is, your hardtop season is my topless season! :D

Hi All:

40 Series to 62 Series is really a case of apples to oranges!

The 40 Series is bare-bones, sparten vehicle: the basic design came out in the middle 1950s!

The 62 Series is a stop-gap measure Toyota thought up to make the 60 Series more luxurous in the USA, while waiting for the greatly improved 80 Series to go into production.

I love my FJ40, and find driving vehicles with an auto transmission, power doors/windows, etc. rather boring!

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

40 Series to 62 Series is really a case of apples to oranges!

The 40 Series is bare-bones, sparten vehicle: the basic design came out in the middle 1950s!

The 62 Series is a stop-gap measure Toyota thought up to make the 60 Series more luxurous in the USA, while waiting for the greatly improved 80 Series to go into production.

I love my FJ40, and find driving vehicles with an auto transmission, power doors/windows, etc. rather boring!

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

The FJ62 was introduced worldwide in 1985 and ran until 1990, that's about the same time as an FJ60 and hardly a "stopgap". That the US didn't get them until 1990 and that it was a semi-luxo version of the worldwide workhorse is different.

My real point is, it depends on what you do with your truck. Daily driver? Then you're nuts to give up a 62 for a 40 in Phoenix, wait till you're caught on I-17 in August! :)

Seriously, there's a ton of people here that daily-drive FJ40s and love it. It's a matter of filosophy. I don't think I could daily drive a '72, but I can respect it.

And there have been thousands of FJ40's that have crossed the 'Crack, I've witnessed dozens during several 'Cruise Moabs.

Good luck and congratz, now let's see the pics! :)

DD in arizona? just put an aftermarket a/c unit in there and you're golden. although i have been considering the opposite of what you are doing, i can't quite bring myself to do it. love my 40 too much.

I say get the 40 and stuff all your 62 parts in it. Axles, 3FE, :insert gears here:/auto, split case

Hummmm, fine spline 4.11s

I'll trade ya for some 3.73s I have laying around ;)

A 40 will be hardcore in AZ in the summer if its a daily driver. If it is going to be a daily driver I would not do it, I would hold out for an early 80's 40 with AC and PS or at least the mounting points for them so you can add them fairly easily.

Its a 72 so its coarse spline, F engine, single barrel carb if its stock, very reliable but not exactly high performance on the highway. Are two vehicles an option? I would keep the 62 and buy the 40. Its a great truck but a little spartan. My 40 was my DD for years and I do not miss it at all, partly becuase I like having AC and power everything, mostly becuase now I can work on the 40 to my hearts content and don't have to worry about putting it back together to go to work in the morning.

One thing that you have not mentioned yet is the condition of the two vehicles, especially the 40. A 40 in mint condition is worth some $, I would pay big for a "desert' truck with no rust. However if its a bondo job with a repaint or has major rust covered with diamond plate it won't be worth nearly as much.

I had my 60 for about 4 years before my 40. I still love the 60 but the 40 is so much more fun to drive. That being said, my 40 has a 5 spd, power steering and my commute is less than 3 miles (round trip).

It won't be a "daily" driver because my wife stays home with our 1 year old so I drive the Solara most days. The 62 only gets about 50 miles per week unless I'm going out wheelin' / camping.

The 40 is in pretty good shape. The engine was rebuilt 4k miles ago, the brakes shortly after. The interior is very nice and the outside is pretty good. Some rust on the front bumper, but that can easily be fixed.

No diamond plate!!

It does need either a real good buffing to bring the paint back out or a paint job. It's Freeborn dark pink right now. :grinpimp:

I WILL however add the air and possibly the power steering before next summer. I also have the flexibility at work to be able to alter my times and leave during non traffic hours so I don't have to just sit there in traffic.

I have the best of both worlds. I use my 62 for daily driving and some mild off roading, and then enjoy my 40 when the weather is nice and for more serious 4 wheeling.

At this time, the boss won't let me have 2 "old pieces of crap" in the driveway.

Once our business takes off though, and she gets the Sequoa she wants, I should be able to get a 62 or 80 again.

I'm just looking forward to having a 40- I've spent the last few days on Cruiseroutfitters, SOR, Man-a-fre, etc. looking at all of the upgrades/ modifications I can do. Fun stuff!

BTW- Is it possible to swap the later model bucket seats into the 72's that have the bench seats?

Last edited:
Tell her that they are "use-specific". FYI.....my 40 is for playing, my Toy mini (now for sale) is for hunting and general DD, my Dodge is for hauling. The wife's 4runner is basically for soccer mom stuff and grocery getting. The reason my Toy mini is for sale is because I'm purchasing a built 60 so I can get the whole family in to go play in the woods, whether it's wheeling, hunting, or just a weekend drive. Trying to shoe-horn 2 adults w/2 kids into a Toy mini just doesn't work......

Once our business takes off though, and she gets the Sequoa she wants, I should be able to get a 62 or 80 again.

That's the key to cruiser nirvana at home. I always caught grief when buying parts for the 40, but after the wife got her 100 series (used) she nows feels like she's part of the club. Get the 40 now with a promise to upgrade her later. :)

bustanutley said:
dude, 72s do not have single barrel carbs.

I stand corrected. :doh:

If you have a car and the 40 is in good shape then I would trade. Nothing quite like a 40... but I am biased :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom