Trading in a 2002 Z71 Suburban on a used 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a good idea?

What are the pro's and con's of the 100?

What year is the most desireable?

Is there a thread that addresses this stuff?

I ask these questions from 2 directions. First, I have an 84 fj60 and wish I had bought an 87 due to the bolt up 5 speed, sway bar attachments, etc.... Now, I do love my 84, but knowledge is power so....

2nd... my 2002 Z71 Suburban continues to have issues at 68,000 miles. They have replaced the catalytic converter, the A/C, and the entire rear differential. Seems when they built my Suburban it may have been built by some angry beavers that day. Anyway...

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes its a good idea, a 50K GM is = to a 100K+ Cruiser.

look for a 2000+, me I prefer the 2000-2002, because of no NAV stuff....but thats just my personal feeling. Also dont limit yourself to just the Cruiser, look at the Lexus......which I never thought I would do.........but I picked up a sweet 99 LX 3 weeks ago for a great deal

When I researched my vehicle choice it was Yukon XL (Suburban) and LC. I sacrificed some cargo space but gained a very superior machine overall. And off-road it's no...repeat...no... comparison! They don't call them General Misery for nothing!

Most folks think the ActiveTrac supplied beginning in 2000 is worth it. That being said my 99 is great even without it and if a deal came along on a '99 I'd jump at it to get out of that 'burban! The FAQ is pretty much a compilation of all of our feedback so it speaks for me pretty well. Christo also has a good write-up on his website.

You would be a fool not to trade the burb for a 100! :flipoff2:

I was between a 2000-01 and a '98-'99. Though I would have preferred a 00+, I decided to take the difference in cost and spend it on mods. So, if I wasn't going to mod it, I would have gotten the '00+.

In the future, I see myself trading up for an '03 (5sp and redesigned interior) or an '06 (better engine).

I really like the TRAC system in the 00+ I was pleasently surprised at how well it worked off road. You should find some nice deals on 00-01 LC's with low miles.

These are not perfect vehicles but they are very good. Read up on all the possible maintenance issues you may be getting into with a used vehicle.

the trade on that 'burb is going to be a bloodbath...

hoser said:
You would be a fool not to trade the burb for a 100! :flipoff2:

I was between a 2000-01 and a '98-'99. Though I would have preferred a 00+, I decided to take the difference in cost and spend it on mods. So, if I wasn't going to mod it, I would have gotten the '00+.

In the future, I see myself trading up for an '03 (5sp and redesigned interior) or an '06 (better engine).

Ditto...identical plan...and all my mods move right over :)

OK - so it looks like probably an '03 then. I know the guy who looks at most of the trade ins for a local Lexus dealer. So that is good. What about lockers?

On the Burban... I will not take a bath on it. I got it on employee pricing and 0% in 02. So, I am pretty good.

What would a good '03 set me back?

No factory lockers on any LC '00+ and no lockers an any year (US) LX470.
You'll have to get ARB lockers if you want them.

Skilter said:
OK - so it looks like probably an '03 then. I know the guy who looks at most of the trade ins for a local Lexus dealer. So that is good. What about lockers?

On the Burban... I will not take a bath on it. I got it on employee pricing and 0% in 02. So, I am pretty good.

Probably mid 30's or so give or take a few grand - look on autotrader.com or cars.com

What year did the 5 speed tranny start? For me, that will be where the search will start.

Last edited:
agreed, the 5 speed is unbelievable. No comparison with my 80 (same as early 100s)

SWUtah said:
I have both transmissions and find the 4 speed more refined and smoother.

The 4-speed is more refined and smoother? Than the 5-speed? Interesting!

SO what's the reason for the bump? Are you just still looking or do you have some specific questions still?

www.autotrader.com is your best bet if all you need is prices on an '03.

Skilter said:

Like 40 clams for a LC, 42-50 for an '03 LX! If you go down to the '02 or earlier models, prices are much lower and selection much higher. The '03 supply is still scarce. Figure many owners unload their vehicles at 5 yrs and certainly before 100K miles, thinking that's near the end of its life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom