Trade my 2008 LC200 for a Stage 2+ FY62 as daily driver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mostly daily drive my 62. But a lot of time if its longer I will choose my 2020 truck. I love the 62 for what it is and does but I think a lot of people build them up in their minds to be the amazing vehicle that is nostalgic etc. Then when you actually own one it is nice to have but that nostalgia wears down quickly. That said I will never sell my 62 and planning on a 6 hour road trip with it this weekend possibly. I am seriously debating it though as my 2020 truck is like sitting in a lazyboy recliner for 6 hours that is very quiet. You feel those miles in a 62 A LOT MORE!!!!!!

I drove my FJ60 for 30 years. Only car I had. Put 290,000 miles on it.
Damn I salute you sir. Pretty damn awesome. In all fairness if it was my only vehicle I'd have no choice but to make it work.

I've been driving mine hj60 daily for the last four years probably done over 120000km currently doing 200km+ a day
Its always fun if a bit noisy. More soundproofing and central locking would be an improvement.
I do find it unpleasant to drive in the city.

What is a Stage 2 62

haha thats my question too.

I daily drive a 60. In less than a year I LS Swapped it. Tying it up now. If you are planning on leaving the toyota stuff in it, i would highly highly recommend against daily driving a 60 or even worse a 62. My 60 had a strong 2f and a h55f 5 speed, i couldnt imagine driving one with the auto. My plan is to daily mine for the forseeable future and its getting the drivetrain swapped LS and auto, and the suspension swapped to coils. It also needs new seats, new carpet, and sound deadening. If these things dont seem like something you feel like doing, i would highly recommend against daily driving a 60. I daily drove a first gen 4runner for a while too and that was the same story.

Going slow in an old underpowered truck will feel nostalgic and great for like a month until you get tired of it. These old toyotas drive slow offroad great but are garbage in modern traffic. There is no way to make ANY toyota truck motor pre 1998 have any real power and drive on modern roads. You can throw thousands of dollars at them but the dollar per HP is just flat out not worth it. Doesnt matter what bolt ons you throw at it or what motor work you do to them. LS Swap or 1JZ swap are kind of the best routes i found and went with the LS for price alone. 1jz with a big garrett turbo would have been pretty cool though.

Last edited:
Keep the 200.

I DD a FJ60 that retains the carbed 2F and has a H55F. Just did a 4 day trip of 1300 miles, two 600 mile days with 2 days of wheeling. I have no issue with running a little slower (65-70) on the interstate compared to most traffic and am fine with the lack of electrical, comfort, and auto tranny conveniences and IMO unnecessary.

Keep the 200

Even in modern vehicles with state of the art safety features driving 80+ is pointless. You don’t save much time but the damage to your body (and the other people you collide with) and internal organs is exponentially higher. Having your heart and lungs rattle around your rib cage at 60 mph is pretty devastating. 80 is almost certainly gonna put you down. My best friend was an EMT and his mother an RN at the busiest ER in Atlanta. Driving fast is for professionals in closed loops and straight tracks.

Even in modern vehicles with state of the art safety features driving 80+ is pointless. You don’t save much time but the damage to your body (and the other people you collide with) and internal organs is exponentially higher. Having your heart and lungs rattle around your rib cage at 60 mph is pretty devastating. 80 is almost certainly gonna put you down. My best friend was an EMT and his mother an RN at the busiest ER in Atlanta. Driving fast is for professionals in closed loops and straight tracks.

I dont think its the fact that people need to cruise at 80, but the ability to overtake another vehicle on the freeway, and to be able to cruise at 70-75 without the truck wanting to wind itself to death. Having to have your foot on the floor just to hold 70-75 isnt really ideal in a daily driver haha

I dont think its the fact that people need to cruise at 80, but the ability to overtake another vehicle on the freeway, and to be able to cruise at 70-75 without the truck wanting to wind itself to death. Having to have your foot on the floor just to hold 70-75 isnt really ideal in a daily driver haha
That’s still faster than you need to drive.

I drive on highways where the speed limit is literally 75 mph. Any slower and you are creating a speed differential with the other cars around you
I understand, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be driving that fast.

I daily drive a BJ74 and have for the past 2ish years. My commute it/has been about 15miles one way, mostly country roads and 55-65mph. I have to deal with city when I travel between sites and from -15F to 105F temps throughout the year. Scorching heat to blizzards and weeks of negative temps.

Compared to even a 100 series, it's slow, noisy, cold, hot, uncomfortable, bouncy, smelly and less safe. My BJ74 is an 88, so pretty similar ride/feel of an FJ62....besides being a turbo diesel, 5 speed, RHD and I can take the top off.... :hmm: I did own an FJ62 for awhile so I know the pain of the 3FE/auto combo....

That said every time I get in and drive it I'm like:

say-what-big-grin.gif

Now I do have other vehicles I can drive if I need to that are "modern" 2006 tundra is usually the one, but the "old" Land Cruiser is just so much more enjoyable for me to drive. If I had a big commute or big city commute on interstates, I wouldn't enjoy it as much and would probably find an alternative route to drive.

Personally I wouldn't make that trade from a 2008 to an FJ62 unless you have some real sentimental attachment to a 62. If you do want to go older cruiser, I'm all for it, but definitely get a beater commuter while you get the cruiser up to snuff and try to take a 60 or 62 for a cruise for an afternoon with some cruiserheads if you can.

I love driving older vehicles that have some soul.

I daily drive my 335k mile FJ60. It’s not a big deal.

I prefer the feel of a classic truck over a new one daily. I actually just sold my newest vehicle, a 2004 tacoma for a FJ62.

Keep oil in it, keep the valves adjusted and lower your expectations but enjoy the ride.

This is about the point in the discussion where we need a link to Sammy Hagar's 'I can't drive 55', which seems literally true in an FJ60.

There:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom