Tractor Talk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've read horror stories about PTO augers on Tractorbynet. Since it only can go one way if you get stuck at the bottom of the hole and your 3pt hitch can't lift it out you got to dig out around it. I've been eyeballing a SSQA hydraulic post hole digger but again, they're pretty pricey. I have another 150 of posts to drop to complete my fence whenever I get around to it.

I just finished removing my old trellis posts. Lol

Did a half acre test vineyard in 2020-12. My site was too cold for the Merlot I was trying.

I augered the holes with a low flow head on my Bobcat. Hard to find rentals for sub 15 gpm flow. Got it out at Winchester equipment. Super easy, especially on rolling terrain.

I've read horror stories about PTO augers on Tractorbynet. Since it only can go one way if you get stuck at the bottom of the hole and your 3pt hitch can't lift it out you got to dig out around it. I've been eyeballing a SSQA hydraulic post hole digger but again, they're pretty pricey. I have another 150 of posts to drop to complete my fence whenever I get around to it.
I did a test row of holes and I see how that can happen for sure.
The auger bit wants to grab and corkscrew into the dirt. And my 3pt isn’t strong enough to yank it out unless it’s spinning. Also there is a half+ second delay when I raise the control before it starts moving up. So if I wait till it has corkscrewed into the dirt I have to drill deeper and hope the 3pt can lift it.

I’ve been drilling 6” or so at a time before lifting it to break up the soil. So far I have avoided getting stuck. Definitely not as good as the dingo I used last year.

C4EB4DE1-D7C6-4617-BF84-AA6787A650BB.jpeg

@DustyFJ what varietyl are you putting in?

If you’re looking for a tiller, I have a small one for sale. It’s dark outside, but I can get some photos tomorrow. Borrow it first if you wanna make the trek down to harrisonburg. I think it is 4’ wide.

@DustyFJ what varietyl are you putting in?
Last year I Planted Chardonnay, Sangiovese, and Cabernet Sauvignon. This year I planting more of all of those and adding Cabernet franc.

Paul the vintner?
I hope so, I’ve been messing around with wine kits for the last year or so to try and get the hang of it.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for a tiller, I have a small one for sale. It’s dark outside, but I can get some photos tomorrow. Borrow it first if you wanna make the trek down to harrisonburg. I think it is 4’ wide.
If he doesn’t want it I may be interested.

I'm interested. My track is 52ish inches but if I can try before I buy I could see if that 4 inch difference is worth fretting over. I do have a little Honda tiller that I could use to fluff up any tire tracks. Unless it's an offset tiller? Mind sending me some pics in the morning?

Land plane FTW
20220423_144720.jpg

Mine's been sitting for a while. Never seem to have enough enthusiasm to pull to flail mower off the 3pt. Quick hitch options are slim pickings at the Cat 2 size. I would like the Delta Hook, but it's a cpl $K just to get started.

I added a top n tilt setup to my 3pt a few years back. Probably the best investment I've made into the tractor.

I thought most of the quick hitches were cat 2. I bought the Speeco cat 1 that takes the cat 1 pins and as far as I could find that's the only game in town.

EA has the cat 2 qh it looks like.

I only run the quick hitch on the small tractor. It makes swapping implements quick as long as you are not hooking up a PTO or hydraulics.
The big tractor stays with a standard 3pt with a hydraulic top link. The only real adjustment we do on it is swapping the PTO from 540 to 1000rpm to run a bailer.

The trouble with Cat 2 implements is that the geometry tends to have more variability than with the smaller stuff, which means the I-match style quick connect like you have and EA sells might not work with everything. And to make it work means moving the pickup points on the implements. The beauty of the Delta Hook style plate mount is that the female plate stays on the implement and any geometry adjustments can be done to the metal on plate.

Everything about swapping Cat 2 (or 3) equipment is a tough job.

I do have an order in for the PTO Link coupler for the shafts. That should help with half of the job.

I totally need to learn how to strap down my tractor that well. Also, that looks like a landscaping/utility trailer which is probably why you don't see axles still attached. They had enough and decided to jettison themselves from the situation.

#StuckTheLanding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom