Traction control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don’t know what else to replace on this LC. Traction control is beeping and slamming on the brakes when driving curvy roads. It doesn’t seem to do it when giving the vehicle gas or brakes. Only when coasting.

Time to check your wheel bearings. A quick search here will net you the procedure.

And maybe fire up Techstream to see if anything is screwy in there. Do you have any codes?

So often I find wheel bearings are not properly serviced. This leaves wheel bearing loose.

I've also found hub oil seal set in backwards. This cause metal particles to shave off seal housing and gets onto wheel speed sensor.
See post #14: Inspecting a 100 series for "LEAKS" "Yeaks"

I've also been finding a lot of lower ball joints bad or going bad. Any mods (i.e ploy bushings, lift, oversize tires, UCA, spacers, etc.) to front end, speeds up the wear of ball joints. TRE and upper ball joint must also be check, but they last longer in stock than lowers.

Steering rack gears and mounts need inspecting as well.

Note: Wheel bearings rarely need replacing, they are creditably tough. They just need proper serving every 30K miles. Snap ring must also be replace at wh. br. service, with proper size (thickness).

Test of wheel bearings: Place jack under lower control arm. Grab tire at 12 & 6. If any moment found bearings are loose. You should have zero play! Also place a finger between wheel and brake caliper and rock wheel side to side. If finger feels any pinch, wheel bearings are loose.

Test of TRE: place hand on TRE and bracket it's attached too. Have someone rock steering wheel back and forth just slightly and rapidly. Feel any clicking and they are bad.

So often I find wheel bearings are not properly serviced. This leaves wheel bearing loose.

I've also found hub oil seal set in backwards. This cause metal particles to shave off seal housing and gets onto wheel speed sensor.
See post #14: Inspecting a 100 series for "LEAKS" "Yeaks"

I've also been finding a lot of lower ball joints bad or going bad. Any mods (i.e ploy bushings, lift, oversize tires, UCA, spacers, etc.) to front end, speeds up the wear of ball joints. TRE and upper ball joint must also be check, but they last longer in stock than lowers.

Steering rack gears and mounts need inspecting as well.

Note: Wheel bearings rarely need replacing, they are creditably tough. They just need proper serving every 30K miles. Snap ring must also be replace at wh. br. service, with proper size (thickness).

Test of wheel bearings: Place jack under lower control arm. Grab tire at 12 & 6. If any moment found bearings are loose. You should have zero play! Also place a finger between wheel and brake caliper and rock wheel side to side. If finger feels any pinch, wheel bearings are loose.

Test of TRE: place hand on TRE and bracket it's attached too. Have someone rock steering wheel back and forth just slightly and rapidly. Feel any clicking and they are bad.

I have replaced the wheel bearings steering rack cv axles and ball joints.

Zero point calibration then. More info here: Zero point calibration

Mine did the same, right after rebuilding the entire front end (same: rack, all bushings, sway bar links, steering rack, UCAs, etc.).

I haven't tried the procedure myself. I was so frustrated after all that work that I just took it to a good shop to get it fixed.

Mine did the same, right after rebuilding the entire front end (same: rack, all bushings, sway bar links, steering rack, UCAs, etc.).

I haven't tried the procedure myself. I was so frustrated after all that work that I just took it to a good shop to get it fixed.
Wonder if there is a mod I can to to turn skid control off?

All the shops I take it to say there is nothing wrong with it, because it’s not setting off any codes. The say it’s the roof top tent causing the problem.

Wonder if there is a mod I can to to turn skid control off?
Yes but you also turn off ABS. I had to drive 500 miles home with mine acting up so I unplugged the ABS from the ECU, disabled the dangerous sudden braking on the highway. It shouldnt be a long time thing, just limp mode

I am going to take the roof top tent off and see what it does.

That's way too much work, and it won't solve your issue. They're just offloading the problem because they don't know to (or know how to) recalibrate everything after the work.

That's way too much work, and it won't solve your issue. They're just offloading the problem because they don't know to (or know how to) recalibrate everything after the work.
I need to have a zero point calibration done?

I need to have a zero point calibration done?

I think so—mine did, after much of the same work. It probably still worth giving the new work a once-over (using @2001LC methods above) to make sure they/you got it right. Too many places don't.

I don’t know what else to replace on this LC. Traction control is beeping and slamming on the brakes when driving curvy roads. It doesn’t seem to do it when giving the vehicle gas or brakes. Only when coasting.
My vehicle had the Traction control come on on curvy roads as well, with the VSC yelling at me. I replaced the wheel bearings myself, but had someone else take care of replacing the steering rack. I got everything calibrated afterward. It helped some, but every once in a while, the traction control still came on at odd times, but not as much as before and not when it should (I drive like an old man, slow an steady, on curvy roads). Through all of this, there were no codes. I ran the Techstream software and noticed that one of the Wheel Speed Sensors was malfunctioning (Techstream pulled the code). Replaced the Right Front Wheel Speed sensor and everything has been great, knock on wood, for the last 6 months. Keep in mind that a normal code reader may not pull the code.

I would get the zero point calibration first, and then go down the Techstream route if needed.

My vehicle had the Traction control come on on curvy roads as well, with the VSC yelling at me. I replaced the wheel bearings myself, but had someone else take care of replacing the steering rack. I got everything calibrated afterward. It helped some, but every once in a while, the traction control still came on at odd times, but not as much as before and not when it should (I drive like an old man, slow an steady, on curvy roads). Through all of this, there were no codes. I ran the Techstream software and noticed that one of the Wheel Speed Sensors was malfunctioning (Techstream pulled the code). Replaced the Right Front Wheel Speed sensor and everything has been great, knock on wood, for the last 6 months. Keep in mind that a normal code reader may not pull the code.

I would get the zero point calibration first, and then go down the Techstream route if needed.
Thanks. On my way to the dealership to see if maybe they can figure it out.

Yes deleted the VSC.
The dealership did that? I am surprised they would turn off what Toyota thinks is a safety feature.

Mine has been going off on sweeping right turns. My body roll has gotten pretty bad though.

The dealership did that? I am surprised they would turn off what Toyota thinks is a safety feature.

Mine has been going off on sweeping right turns. My body roll has gotten pretty bad though.
No the dealership didn’t turn it off. I friend of mine did it for me, and haven’t had a problem since. There is a right up on this forum about it I believe it’s titled VSC delete with a switch. I did that mod but didn’t use the switch, because I wanted it off for good. The VSC light will be on after doing this mod but I had him pull the bulb,and abs,and atrac still work. You really need to do this mod,and you problem will be solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom