Traction control works well....commentary.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my dad's 100 to the carwash today. I guess they got the tire-shine spray on the tread of the tires, 'cause as I was making a quick left out of the carwash the back end of the 100 tried to pass me :D I do a lot of fire-road driving and have gotten to be pretty good at counter-steering to correct powerslides. What really surprised me though was the traction control. I didn't even know this thing had traction control! I countersteered into the slide and all of a sudden I was pointed straight ahead and damn near stopped. It was very interesting as I had to apply throttle to overcome the traction control and merge with traffic. All in all it was a very exciting experience, and the traction control definately did its job. I just wish I'd known it was gonna kick in so I could have turned it off and enjoyed the slide ;p

You can't turn it off. And yes, it is my favorite thing about my 100. Last winter I TRIED to get my 100 to hang out on some ice and it wouldn't do it.

i believe it's the stability control system walking all over your power oversteer not the traction control.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I felt the ABS kick in, and the truck straightened itself out. Dunno anymore about it than that.

ABS is noiseless. Did you hear a beep beep beep when it corrected? That's VSC kicking in. LUV THAT SOUND! :D

Could be ABS,TRAC and VSC all at the same time. :D Pretty wild driving for a car wash exit.

NMuzj100 said:
Could be ABS,TRAC and VSC all at the same time. :D Pretty wild driving for a car wash exit.

TRAC doesn't work when braking
VSC makes the beeping sound 3 times when it kicks in
ABS makes no sound

ABS did it on it's own. :)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
TRAC doesn't work when braking
VSC makes the beeping sound 3 times when it kicks in
ABS makes no sound

ABS did it on it's own. :)

Hmmm.. my ABS when activated makes a noticable buzzing sound coming from the actuator under the hood, and a slight vibration in the pedal.

I was curious if the vehicle @ the car wash was still under acceleration when this all took place, thats what it sounded like to me, if so..it couldnt have been (the ABS) straightening it out.

I think it was the TRAC at work here, only because I believe the VSC needs more speed involved to sense a slide in order to activate, not to mention the typical beep beep beep .

I can really hear AND feel the TRAC when its doin` its thing ! :D

Oh, has anyone ever had a VSC-like beep non-stop up an EXTREMELY steep loose climb, even with the center diff locked (VSC deactivated)? I was on the most ugly hill I have ever attempted, and my 100 was beeping like crazy ! I wonder what it was trying to tell me?

(Translation: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP = WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO ME ??..WE ARE GONNA DIE !!) :eek:

SINCITY100 said:
Hmmm.. my ABS when activated makes a noticable buzzing sound coming from the actuator under the hood, and a slight vibration in the pedal.

I was curious if the vehicle @ the car wash was still under acceleration when this all took place, thats what it sounded like to me, if so..it couldnt have been (the ABS) straightening it out.

I think it was the TRAC at work here, only because I believe the VSC needs more speed involved to sense a slide in order to activate, not to mention the typical beep beep beep .

I can really hear AND feel the TRAC when its doin` its thing ! :D

Oh, has anyone ever had a VSC-like beep non-stop up an EXTREMELY steep loose climb, even with the center diff locked (VSC deactivated)? I was on the most ugly hill I have ever attempted, and my 100 was beeping like crazy ! I wonder what it was trying to tell me?

(Translation: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP = WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO ME ??..WE ARE GONNA DIE !!) :eek:

Sure you can hear ABS...though mechanically only.

TRAC was not at work as it cannot work decelerating and/or braking.

Yes, TRAC will work continuasly just like VSC though after 20 seconds or so it turns into a steady beep-beep telling you the system has shut down for brake-cooling reasons. You'll also see the TRAC light shut off. Been there, done that. :)

how are you guys driving that you get all these gizmos activated?
I don't think I ever had ABS kick in in any driving ever....
gotta look ahead, dudes!

(of course, I also drive like a grandma... :D )

e9999 said:
(of course, I also drive like a grandma... :D )

See, you answered your own question! :D Seriously though, I can get the ABS to kick in easily if its wet outside from rain or snow. Simply gunning it while pulling out onto a busy street while turning right. Unfortunately, I have to do this quite often with the intersection in my neighborhood and I find myself often getting the ABS to kick in if the roads are wet.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Sure you can hear ABS...though mechanically only.

TRAC was not at work as it cannot work decelerating and/or braking.

Yes, TRAC will work continuasly just like VSC though after 20 seconds or so it turns into a steady beep-beep telling you the system has shut down for brake-cooling reasons. You'll also see the TRAC light shut off. Been there, done that. :)

Good point about the deceleration Shotts.. :doh:

I would say it was Trac, beause it is so good at straightening the vehicle out....but no beep?

O.K. Arya lets solve this...were you on the brakes when you attempted to counter-steer out of this?...

Mine beeped today coming out backwards on a huge deep sticky mud hole I would still be there if not for the traction control

You can't turn it off. And yes, it is my favorite thing about my 100. Last winter I TRIED to get my 100 to hang out on some ice and it wouldn't do it.

In the winter when there is a lot of snow i lock my center diff and let her rip! The traction control gets disabled and i can just drift like crazy.

And that beeping sound of the VSC, my friends call it the "Oh s*** were going to die" warning. When i have the center diff unlocked it goes off when im pushing it around turns and they just grab one of the 9 grab handles on the roofline and hold on for dear life.

and nice resurection of a old thread.

In the winter when there is a lot of snow i lock my center diff and let her rip! The traction control gets disabled and i can just drift like crazy.

And that beeping sound of the VSC, my friends call it the "Oh s*** were going to die" warning. When i have the center diff unlocked it goes off when im pushing it around turns and they just grab one of the 9 grab handles on the roofline and hold on for dear life.

and nice resurection of a old thread.

NOTHING disables Traction Control in the 100. :) You mean VSC gets disabled?

Last edited:
i guess i dont know, but i can spin the crap out of my tires if i want to. If you have myspace, look up "1loudLX" and go to my videos. Check out the one of me coming out of my garage.

i guess i dont know, but i can spin the crap out of my tires if i want to. If you have myspace, look up "1loudLX" and go to my videos. Check out the one of me coming out of my garage.

Yes you can. Lots of threads on this. Light throttle is the way to use trac on the trail. In mud and/or snow or anywhere you're heavy on the throttle it won't kick in. If it did you'd get stuck. Nextg time on the ice/snow give it light gas when slipping. You'll notice it work as you can't disable it. Floor it and you're in charge. Greatsystem.

never even noticed...thanks for the info! Does it disable in 4Lo?

on our other car the LS430, i just push "trac off" in the rain and spin the rear tires up to 130mph...while sitting at a light, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom