Traction Control Light Rabbit Hole. PLEASE help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I recently bought my 1999 LX470 and, (i don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but) when i got it, the green "ACTIVE TRAC" light (pictured below) was on. I didn't think anything of it because the light is green and i figured it just meant my traction control was on or something.

I actually thought i had "ATRAC" but i looked up my VIN and didn't see anything.

Well the truck has been driving fine (except the P0446 CEL, which i'll fix at some point) until yesterday. I had a 3.5 hour round trip to make and on the last leg of the trip i noticed that when i would press the accelerator, the traction control "skid" looking light would come on, and when i let off the gas, it would turn off. I parked up thinking it might be heat related and went to bed. Woke up this morning and it's on permanently.

Here's the rabbit hole. I run the scan tool and there's no additional CEL, just the P0446. My vehicle just so happens to have the manual and i check the instrument cluster page and i can't find either light... ??? that's weird... so i start googling LX470 instrument panels and i cannot find a single google image that has either of these lights on, indicating to me that maybe the cluster is different for some reason? here's a photo fo the manual.

Can you guys please help me with the following:

1) what would cause that "skid" light (TC OFF? i dunno what else to call it) to come on
2) what does the green "ACTIVE TRAC" light mean?
3) is it supposed to be on?

Photos:

pem2WEU.jpg

TuooNBU.jpg

What is the build date on the vin plate? This is really strange.

Never seen the skid light in any LC or LX 100 series. Been in alot of them, checking them out for buyers and owning quite a few myself.

Last edited:
What is the build date on the vin plate? This is really strange.

Never seen the skid light in any LC or LX 100 series. Been in al ot of them, checking them out for buyers and owning quite a few myself.

when i look up the VIN it says "Order Date" is 02/1999 and "Date of Fist Use" is March 31, 1999

I'll check the plate when i go outside in a little. Here's the features from the VIN lookup on Lexus website. I really think this thing is an anomaly. The Carfax is relatively clean except a rear end fender bender so i don't think it was ever like majorly repaired or anything.

PERFORMANCE FEATURES

4.7 Liter 230HP Four Cam 32-Valve V8 Engine 4-Speed Automatic Transmission and Electronic Throttle Control System w/ Intelligence (ETCS-i) and Second Gear Start Switch Full-Time 4-Wheel Drive w/ 2 Speed Transfer Case Mechanical Gear Type Locking Center Differential Limited Slip Rear Differential (LSD) Front Independent Double Wishbone Suspension w/ Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and Adjustable Height Control (AHC) Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering 4- Wheel Power Assisted Ventilated Disc Brakes 275/70HR16 Mud and Snow Tires 16" Aluminum Alloy Wheels (Including Spare Tire) Towing Preparation Pkg w/ Transmission Oil Cooler

SAFETY FEATURES

Dual Front Airbags Supplemental Restraint System 3-Point Safety Belts for Seven Seating Positions; 2-Point for 3rd Row Center Position Front Seat Belt Pretensioners w/ Force Limiters 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) Energy Managing Crumple Zones, Side Door Beams Vehicle Theft Deterrent System Projector Headlamps and Foglamps Automatic On/Off Headlamps Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Variable Front Intermittent Wipers Intermittent Rear Wiper First Aid Kit

LUXURY AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES

Leather Trimmed Interior Multi-Adjustable Power Front Heated Seats with Lexus Memory System Auto Climate Control w/ Smog Sensor and Air Filter Rear Automatic Climate Control Lexus AM/FM Cassette, 7 Speaker, 250-Watt Max Pwr Premium Audio System w/ In-Dash 6- CD Changer Glass Imprinted FM Diversity Antenna Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel with Automatic Tilt-Away One-Touch Up/Down Power Door Windows with Pinch Protection Power Rear Quarter Windows PwrFolding Electrochromic Heated Outside Mirrors Power Door Locks with Anti-Lock Out Feature Cruise Control Genuine Walnut Wood Interior Trim Key Integrated Multi-Function Remote Entry System Programmable Garage Door Opener Outside Temperature Indicator 8-Passenger Seating Color-Keyed Body Cladding and Running Boards Carpeted Floor Mats

So many things can set this off. Even a vacuum leak, bad gas cap, wheel speed sensor, low voltage, issue with ABS, wheel speed sensor, etc. With the DTC PO446 you have, I'd start with gas cap inspection. You should hear some air passage as you remove gas cap just after shut down of engine, more sound on hot days.. Rubber seal should be in good condition. Then more forward to engine bay. Inspect hoses starting at charcoal canister. Then all vacuum hose on engine. Additionally accelerating and accelerating making a change; inspect all wheel speed sensors, front wheel bearings and ball joints.

This rig is new to you and 20 years old. Base-line it! You've likely find many things out of spec.

Completely agree on the base lining. The challenge is those lights were supposedly not in the dash in those years.

So many things can set this off. Even a vacuum leak, bad gas cap, wheel speed sensor, low voltage, issue with ABS, wheel speed sensor, etc. With the DTC PO446 you have, I'd start with gas cap inspection. You should hear some air passage as you remove gas cap just after shut down of engine, more sound on hot days.. Rubber seal should be in good condition. Then more forward to engine bay. Inspect hoses starting at charcoal canister. Then all vacuum hose on engine. Additionally accelerating and accelerating making a change; inspect all wheel speed sensors, front wheel bearings and ball joints.

This rig is new to you and 20 years old. Base-line it! You've likely find many things out of spec.

this might do it! it's funny because when first inspecting the P0446 i came across that information and i went and checked and it was perfectly fine. Yesterday i went to fill up and don't think i heard it. I'll replace it anyway just in case.

Great question.

Get the truck in low range, and crossed up, first gear, hold throttle at 1200 to 1300 and see if the power moves from the spinning wheel to the non spinning wheel.

Maybe you got a prototype truck by accident.

Great question.

Get the truck in low range, and crossed up, first gear, hold throttle at 1200 to 1300 and see if the power moves from the spinning wheel to the non spinning wheel.

wouldn't that be interesting.

(i assume by crossed up you mean locked). Need to find me some mud.

Great question.

This or you have a dash from a 00-02 LX?

This is still a remianing question. WTH? so do i have Active Trac?
Light indicate yes!
LX470 got stuff before LC. LX's didn't have rear lockers, which was removed 2000 and ATRAC added in LC. You've also got late (second run) of the 99.
IIRC the ABS unit (black box) or around it on master has one extra wire housing with ATRAC.

This or you have a dash from a 00-02 LX?

Could be. that's what it looks like.

Light indicate yes!
LX470 got stuff before LC. LX's didn't have rear lockers, which was removed 2000 and ATRAC added in LC. You've also got late (second run) of the 99.
IIRC the ABS unit (black box) on master has one extra wire housing with ATRAC.

This would be amazing. Only question now is why doesn't the light turn off? i just read a manual from a 2002 and it looks like the light is supposed to turn off but mine stays on. I'll check my ABS unit when i get a moment

First correcting issue will shut off. But if dash was replaced with wrong year, it may not go off. Going back and looking at your first picture in OP. The dash looks as if not secured along top (gap). As if, screws are missing along top.

Did you closely look at mileage in Lexus History and in carfax, making sure all track with yours. We've seen dash replacement with lower mileage as a sales rip off.

Not all dash panels can be swap, they are year dependent. Check here for clues, make sure to input your VIN #. www.partsouq.com

As you turn IG key to ON, system go through checks. All dash lights come on for first few seconds. Get a picture of this and post. Someone will confirm with their dash light check with yours.

First correcting issue will shut off. But if dash was replaced with wrong year, it may not go off. Going back and looking at your first picture in OP. The dash looks as if not secured along top (gap). As if, screws are missing along top.

Did you closely look at mileage in Lexus History and in carfax, making sure all track with yours. We've seen dash replacement with lower mileage as a sales rip off.

Not all dash panels can be swap, they are year dependent. Check here for clues, make sure to input your VIN #. www.partsouq.com

As you turn IG key to ON, system go through checks. All dash lights come on for first few seconds. Get a picture of this and post. Someone will confirm with their dash light check with yours.

i will do this today. thank you. I noticed a bit of this on the dash but the radio has been replaced so i thought that may be it

Here's what comes up when the key is put to the position just before start. Nothing additional happens when it's started. Maybe i'll take a short video later.

Here's a question. Does the vehicle's mileage follow the cluster or does it register in some other system? it looks like the milage is accurate, but from what you're saying, this is an aftermarket cluster given that not all the lights light up. Can someone take a photo of theirs?

l4XwvXw.jpg

The dash is really hanging low in there. Never seen that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom