1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracking the trip

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by emorth, Jul 11, 2017.

1. emorth

emorth

StaleAle and I heading to CMCC on Wednesday and I am going to try to track the trip via APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System). A position report should be posted every 3 minutes on a website map. APRS is an Amateur radio infrastructure that handles data packets. It should work well in populated areas, not so sure about coverage in the more rural areas. We'll see how well it works.

If you want to see where I am, go to the website: aprs.fi
    In the call sign search box enter: WA3TOL
    The search will find WA3TOL-9, check the box and click on "Show Selected"
    The map should show my location within the last 3 minutes (if I am in coverage). The website automatically updates.

If you look now it will show a quick run I made to the auto parts store today. No, I did not stop at McD's or Taco Bell, but it was tempting. And yes, if I go someplace where I am not supposed to go, I will turn it off. :)

Yet another benefit of Ham radio.

2. Tikicruiser

Tikicruiser

My geek meter is going off like air raid sirens in Honolulu December of 41. Cant we just shove a LoJack up your ass and make this a lot easier for everyone?

Von Hayek, Jakes40, 76FJ40 and 2 others like this.
  3. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    The split screen street view feature is pretty cool. Have a safe trip!

emorth likes this.