Tracking down fume-y smell coming into cabin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've had my 1991 FJ80 for a few months now and for the most part I'm really liking the big dumb slow thing, but have been getting this fume-y smell coming into cabin as soon as the engine runs... it almost smells like instead of the exhaust going out the back tailpipe it's coming into the cabin via the vents.

It's 160k miles. Some of the things done so far:
1. Charcoal canister replacement. This helped in that the gas tank/cap no longer pressurizes, and the sharp gas/fuel smell no longer comes into the cabin, but the exhaust-like fumes still do.
2. Opened up the vent area right below the windshield and got out a few leaves and generally cleaned it, but it was pretty tidy to begin with.
3. Got the worst of the engine compartment leaks fixed, which was from the power steering system. Still leaks some engine oil though, and there's old caked on oil all over the side of the engine block.
4. Just for good measure, ripped out the interior carpeting, pressure washed it, wiped the bare metal down, cleaned the cloth seats, and removed all the previous owner's cigarette ashes and french fries and all that stuff out of the truck... unrelated to the engine's fumes but figured it was good to try to get rid of the some of the other funk.

Any ideas on where I should focus on in trying to address this? Part of me wants to either get the entire engine rebuilt / swap it for something else, but that seems like an overreaction (and may not even help with the issue).

Some photos...

Engine bay:

New charcoal canister:

Some of the oil on the engine:

What about exhaust leaks? Was having a similar issue until I had a muffler shop remedy any leaks. I also had a loose o2 sensor that was leaking a bit

My guess is a seal under the steering wheel that opens to the engine bay.

I have this on my to do list and get a whiff of exhaust like smell every time i turn on the Landcruiser.

Last edited:
That’s a great tip - where did you order it from by the way? The whole firewall area around the steering is like swiss cheese holes

There should also be a gasket that the back of the hood closes down upon. Prevents engine bay air from entering the cabin air intake.

Last edited:
How about the rear hatch weather stripping and the side vents? Toss a couple of carbon monoxide detectors in the front and rear of the cabin and see which alarms firsts.

Check for exhaust leaks. I had the same exhaust smell in the cab. Smell was worse at start up.

Turned out to be a worn out gasket where the manifold goes into the exhaust. Simple fix. Used Wits End kit.

Does the smell go away or decrease if you use the AC and put it on recirculation?

Pull your shift console off and see if this thing is totally intact or not too: Recently acquired locked 94 build

(That should've gone to post 38)

Mine was completely blown out on the passenger side where the trans linkage goes through the little accordion spot.

lol all the above maybe. I really enjoy how certain year trucks all exhibit the same problems. Imo its a good sign that they were built so well.

I have the exact same problem. 91 with 180k. Goes away in a minute after starting. Been that way since I bought it. Ive got bigger fish to fry so Ill follow yall and see whats up. Subscribed. Thanks

Check for exhaust leaks. I had the same exhaust smell in the cab. Smell was worse at start up.

Turned out to be a worn out gasket where the manifold goes into the exhaust. Simple fix. Used Wits End kit.

Does the smell go away or decrease if you use the AC and put it on recirculation?

Thanks will check that out - I took a quick look at the Wits End website and not sure which kit it is, do you have a part # or link handy by any chance?

And yes I believe the smell does decrease if recirculation is on but honestly it can be a bit hard to tell. Hoping once I get a detector with readout in there I can quantify it a bit.

takes less than a minute to check if its the seal like i mentioned above. open your hood and then look under the steering wheel. if you see visible light coming from the engine bay you know its the old seal that allows noxious gases into the cabin.

takes less than a minute to check if its the seal like i mentioned above. open your hood and then look under the steering wheel. if you see visible light coming from the engine bay you know its the old seal that allows noxious gases into the cabin.

Haha yeah it's totally f'd. Here's the inside and outside shot of it:

And near it there's another rubber stopper/filler that's got a hole in it:

well there you go. I dont know about the 3rd and 4th photo but i'm sure you can find the the parts number online. good luck with the fix. shouldnt be too hard i think.

update: i wonder if photo 3 and 4 hole is where your throttle/accelerator cable is supposed to go. i see to the left what i suspect is the cable when in actuality it should be in that hole there. i really cant be sure but plug it up somehow and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Also check the low range shifter boot, known to split, allowing fumes in. The F motors are often leaky, one that can cause the smell, is the valve cover. If it leaks/seeps oil onto the exhaust manifold, will burn off when started.

They require occasional valve adjustment, most replace the valve cover gasket as part of this maintenance. So if the valve cover gasket is leaking, most likely it needs a valve adjustment. If that maintenance is done as called for, the valve cover gasket should always be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom