Track Bar Play / Death Wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to track down a case of death wobble for a month or two now. The truck drives well on the highway + around town. However, if I hit a moderately large pot hole between ~35-40mph the steering will start to shimmy and left unchecked it will get uncontrollable until I slow down. If I jerk the steering or change speed I can usually get it to stop before it takes over. I have checked the steering a few times now and everything seems tight. I aired the tires down to 10PSI to load the steering while turning and the drag link/tie rod ends have no perceptible play. I also checked the trunnion bearings by jacking the truck up and using a pry bar to move the wheel up and down - no perceptible play. Wheel bearings are also tight. When I was checking the steering by having my wife turn the wheels left / right I noticed the bushings in the track bar were flexing left right. The upper ~1/8in and the lower ~1/16in. These are OEM bushings that are probably 3 years old and have ~30K of road/off road on them. Is that too much play? I'm surprised they would be worn being relatively new / on a vehicle that isn't a daily driver. Any other suggestions to check? It didn't do this previously, so its something that has developed over the last year or so with not changes to tires/suspension.

Last edited:
If you haven't done so yet I would check the studs/nuts on the bottom of the knuckles. I know you mentioned the steering components seemed tight but I would just check the knuckle studs.

If you haven't done so yet I would check the studs/nuts on the bottom of the knuckles. I know you mentioned the steering components seemed tight but I would just check the knuckle studs.
Yup, checked those a few times over the years. They were all tight. Earlier today while checking the steering I did notice the front inner area on the pass side had a little “crack” in the grease at the joint between the knuckle and arm like the joint had flexed a little, but the flexing “crack” was local to that corner and not across the rest of the knuckle/arm joint. Just in case, I pulled all the nuts off, cleaned the threads and such, and re-installed/locktite/torqued everything. As expected it didn’t make a change to the death wobble.

255/85/R16 tires
Caster is 3deg when I had it checked after lifting it and installing caster plates.

Check your frame for cracks where the gear box mounts and where the panhard attaches to the frame. This is a known issue.

Also put a wrench on your panhard and control arm hardware and make sure it is torqued.

Goodluck

I checked the radius arms and panhard bolts and they were tight.

A few months back when I started chasing this down I found some hairline cracks around the panhard and welded them up. They were pretty small so I don’t think there was a lot of movement from them yet, but braced and welded it up.

I did notice the panhard bushings had some play (see my first post). They are not that old so not sure if that’s normal or not.

I checked the radius arms and panhard bolts and they were tight.

A few months back when I started chasing this down I found some hairline cracks around the panhard and welded them up. They were pretty small so I don’t think there was a lot of movement from them yet, but braced and welded it up.

I did notice the panhard bushings had some play (see my first post). They are not that old so not sure if that’s normal or not.

Rubber bushings will flex, saying how much flex is normal is a tough call.

If you really want to determine if the bushings are bad than I would recommend pulling the panhard. Mounting it in a vise. Than take a pipe or something and stick it in the bushing. Than pry the bushing and give it a close inspection while it flexes. If you see tears or cracks than they are shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom