TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensor info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I went to Discount tire to have them have the 200 "re-learn" the sensors and at first the little machine they hold up to the wheels that wirelessly gets the information would not discover it. It was only after I told them the wheels came off of a Tundra that it would "discover" the sensor. They were hesitant to hook their computer up to my computer because it would have to be in "Tundra mode". I agreed and thought it best to take to the dealership.... They wanted 3 hours and $210. I don't think so. So the plan is to just swap out the old sensors and put them in the trd wheels.

Does anyone have the list of required tools / readers / scanners to be able to reprogram the TPMS at home? I am curious about this as I may want to swap several sets until I find my preferred 2 sets.

Does anyone have the list of required tools / readers / scanners to be able to reprogram the TPMS at home? I am curious about this as I may want to swap several sets until I find my preferred 2 sets.

I think you want a TPMS cloner, right?

I think you want a TPMS cloner, right?
I very well may! Is that the tool that allows for these use cases?
  1. Buy new tires and wheels w/ new sensors, be able to scan their ID's and input into the vehicle
  2. Buy a set of addressable (clone ready) TPMS sensors and give them the known set of ID's in the vehicle already
  3. Be a tool that I carefully place in a storage box after having used once and then read a thread 18 months later about this same subject BUT be able to state, "It's easy, I own the tool that allows me to do it myself..."

Over the weekend, for 5 minutes my TPMS light was flashing on the highway after 30 minutes of driving saying TPMS sensor failure and it was not reading ANY tire pressure. Temperature dropped over the weekend and so did my tire pressure. Is this a bad TPMS sensor or is there something else that might be wrong with my system? I am planning on putting NEW TPMS sensors on Wednesday when I put my new RW wheels/tires. Or should I diagnose my TPMS sensor before sending to tire shop?

Over the weekend, for 5 minutes my TPMS light was flashing on the highway after 30 minutes of driving saying TPMS sensor failure and it was not reading ANY tire pressure. Temperature dropped over the weekend and so did my tire pressure. Is this a bad TPMS sensor or is there something else that might be wrong with my system? I am planning on putting NEW TPMS sensors on Wednesday when I put my new RW wheels/tires. Or should I diagnose my TPMS sensor before sending to tire shop?
I think you can wait with no issues, just do a walk around before driving to check pressures. I also had a TPMS light after some recent below freezing overnights - I just topped off the tires, including spares to correct pressures and it went off.

@Reckless, I know this is an old thread, but do you recall the cause here? I had this happen on our way back from Voyageurs NP yesterday as we were approaching the Illinois line. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, and restarted. The light kept flashing and wouldn't let me see any of the TPMS values, but by the time I'd checked the pressure in all 4 tires and got back in the light had gone off and the sensors were in the process of registering. Once complete all read between 48psi and 54psi, which is what I would expect.

Wondering if it's likely this will happen again and I need new TPMS batteries or if it's just a glitch I can ignore. Normally I'd just wait and see but we've got a big road trip coming up in a couple weeks

@Reckless, I know this is an old thread, but do you recall the cause here? I had this happen on our way back from Voyageurs NP yesterday as we were approaching the Illinois line. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, and restarted. The light kept flashing and wouldn't let me see any of the TPMS values, but by the time I'd checked the pressure in all 4 tires and got back in the light had gone off and the sensors were in the process of registering. Once complete all read between 48psi and 54psi, which is what I would expect.

Wondering if it's likely this will happen again and I need new TPMS batteries or if it's just a glitch I can ignore. Normally I'd just wait and see but we've got a big road trip coming up in a couple weeks

I had a similar issue to what you are referencing. Ended up being because one of my sensors was going out, which it has. At first on colder days it would take a while to register, then slowly led to warning light saying check system at first then after 10-30min driving it would start working, to now having the constant check system light due to a bad sensor.

The good ol Toyota TPMS system is somewhat odd and I went down the rabbit hole a few times.

To sum up this whole thread in case someone else gets to reading:
  • No provisions on any USDM LC200s for multiple sets of TPMS sensors. You get 5 (4 plus the spare). There is a second slot in the computer for programming a second set but no switch to activate that second set.
  • If your vehicle is having a TPMS fault, cant pick up the TPMS sensor, one sensor programmed wrong, etc all sensors will fail to display on the dash once the TPMS code is set a few minutes after initialization.
  • Once TPMS codes are reset via techstream (there will be two codes, one for the bad sensor and one for the system), you can read the TMPS values for the working sensors via techstream but the system will fault out again as soon as you start driving, set a light, and stop working
  • You can read TPMS Sensor Voltage via techstream, may help IDing the bad sensor. You should also have a stored code of whichever sensor was making a mess.
  • The standard clear "techstream clone" cable does not work on LC200s. No versions of the cable OR the software will work. The cable that does work is the VXDiag VCX Nano. VXDiag VCX NANO for TOYOTA TIS Techstream V15.00.026 USB Version

I want to change from OEM 20s to Tundra 18s I recently acquired and will transfer the TPMS over.

For argument sake, let's say I lost track of which TPMS went with which wheel. Are the TPMS sensors smart enough to know which corner they are positioned?

Thanks!

I want to change from OEM 20s to Tundra 18s I recently acquired and will transfer the TPMS over.

For argument sake, let's say I lost track of which TPMS went with which wheel. Are the TPMS sensors smart enough to know which corner they are positioned?

Thanks!

Not sure if all do. I know 2017 and up do. On my '17 it used to 10-15 minutes for them to get straightened out.

I just reprogrammed new sensors on my ‘20 using Carista. I had the sensors read by a local tire shop (at no charge), and then I used Carista to put the new sensors’ codes into the ECU. Note that the sensors are numbered 1-5 in Carista: 1-4 are LF clockwise to RF, and 5 is the spare.

It can be both, glitch or one of the TPMS sensor batteries. I would wait for it to happen a few more times and then replace battery on unit that is low. Discount Tire had a recall on their TPMS sensors so they eventually replaced all of mine for free. No issue since. I think TPMS batteries are supposed to last 8 years?

I am about to swap out a new set of tires and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and have the batteries replaced on the sensors or is that even an option? Mine are almost 6 years old now and Murphy's law says as soon as I swap the tires out the sensors will die.

Do I have to order new sensors or can I have a handful of batteries ready?

I am about to swap out a new set of tires and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and have the batteries replaced on the sensors or is that even an option? Mine are almost 6 years old now and Murphy's law says as soon as I swap the tires out the sensors will die.

Do I have to order new sensors or can I have a handful of batteries ready?

Pretty sure they are sealed. Batteries are not replaceable. Are they OEM sensors? They generally will last close to 10 years or more.

They are OEM. My rig is a 15' so I hope I have some more time on them. Thanks for the response. I had heard from others that you can replace the batteries on them, but maybe that's for different manufacturers.

I had heard from others that you can replace the batteries on them, but maybe that's for different manufacturers.

Could be. I have never tried. I have always just replaced the sensors.

They are OEM. My rig is a 15' so I hope I have some more time on them. Thanks for the response. I had heard from others that you can replace the batteries on them, but maybe that's for different manufacturers.
Not on the ones used in the '13 or '16 land cruiser, I can say with 100% certainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom