TPMS Programming of new unit by Tire Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had 2 tires (defects) and 2 TPMS sensors replaced by a tire guy. He told me to drive it for 25 miles and the light should turn off as it learns the new sensors. He said they use Continental sensors.

Is this correct? If he programmed or cloned the sensor should it work immediately or does it really take 25 miles to "learn" the new sensor.

thanks

if they cloned the old sensors it should work immediately, unless there is something specific to the new sensors that they won't turn on. That would be very sensor specific, and you can usually force them on with a magnet or moving from zero psi to 10 psi, or similar.

Probably BS.

Hopefully you can still access the old sensors to get their codes, otherwise you'll have to get someone/thing that can program the new sensor codes into the computer (Carista, techstream, some of the more powerful tires store programmers.)

I have one of the Autel TPMS tools. I reprogram the system 2x a year switching to and from my winter tires. My ‘13LX recognized the new sensors each time in <5 min usually before I leave my driveway.

And if he was saying that the truck would “learn” the new sensors that is BS. My Tesla does that on its own the 200 does not, it requires learning through the OBD port.

I've had some aftermarket sensors put in my ford's wheels, they took a few miles for the truck to learn them. The light turned off around 10ish miles.

Previous member, new account.

I have experienced both situations after replacing sensors on my 08. Once, the light was off before departing the tire store. Another time, the tech stated the light was on and would go off after driving a bit down the road, and it did as he stated. Both instances were not at a dealer.

I have also had this happen after disconnecting the negative battery cable for a month or so at a time and sometimes upon reconnection, the TMPS light will come on and take a drive or two to turn back off.

If there is a delay, it is the sender needing to see the pressure fluctuations and g forces from driving to start tramsmitting. Our vehicles do not auto-learn the sensor.

Two possible methods:
1) with stock type sensors you must program the alphanumeric code into the vehicle via OBD port.
2) aftermarket “clone” sensors (usually cheap Chinese products) that can be programmed wirelessly to copy the original alphanumeric code of the sensors that came with the vehicle. This is what most tire shops do.

The stock sensors ship in “sleep mode” and need to see pressure and driving to start transmitting.

Thanks for the responses. I took it back and he was able to get it programmed. It worked when I started the truck. It makes me think that they didn't do it the first time, but they could have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom