TPI Smoky Mountain 2.5 lift for FJ60?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new poster here. I'm trying to find opinions on the lift mentioned in the subject. Been having a little trouble tracking down first-hand opinions of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

--ZERO

Well it's not OME....

I've been running it for about 3 years now. Not too bad. It rides a little rough, but most lift springs will. I don't know who makes the springs, but all the other components are OME (shocks, shackles). Complete kit.

What else do you want to know?

The springs are quite firm. I cannot recall any problems with body roll. I can't remember if the kit came with extended sway bar links or if they were bought separate. I quit running the sway bar links last spring tho, as I was tired of taking them on and off when going off road.

to tell you the truth, I've never driven a 60 on stock suspension. The lift was on there when I bought it. So I don't have a whole lot to compare it too. When I say it rides rough, it has a pretty hard suspension. It will not ride like stock. Any lift kit (except mabye OME) will ride a bit on the harsh side. It does not bother me, I can live with it. The kit will allow you to run 33 x 12.5" tires, but will rub on full stuff. I installed a small body lift to get a little more clearance.

Lean...let me see...
Yes my cruser leans. Not a whole lot but it certainly does. But show me one that doesn't. No sag problems. The springs have settled, but not sagged.

I'll see If I can find a decent pic later tonight.

thanks again Mark. I wonder what rating they'd classify their springs (ie, soft, medium, heavy duty...). I suppose that could explain the hard ride.

Has anybody else recently used this kit?

--ZERO

bump

Well, I don't know anything about the Smoky Mountain lift, but I do have 1sthand exp. with the BDS lift. For $600, it's a steal. It is MUCH softer than stock on rough roads, and less body roll in hard corners. Check http://FJ60.com./

I used to run the TPI lift and thought it rode a lot better than stock. I also have an ARB front bumper and never had any problems with the springs holding up to the additional weight. Flexes well off-road, although I did rub at full stuff on the front tires while running 33x10.50's. I never regretted buying that suspension and I thoroughly enjoyed it over the past several years. Does it lean? Yes, when I ran that kit, the Cruiser lean was there.

Maybe the hottest new spring system to hit the market could be the Dakar?
Call Dave at urban landcruiser. The price is supposed to less than OME.
But then there is the hell for stout?
devo

I would go with the OME Dakar, Hell for Stout, or BDS. Better product for your money. If your going to do it; do it right. TPI has been used and it works, but, I don't think it compares to the previous three that I have listed.

I bet I have installed at least 20 TPI Smokey kits with most of those being 60 series kits. I am a TPI dealer. They are good springs when used for their designed purpose; normal driving, occassional 4wd with little hard wheeling. They ride well and provide a good 2" of lift.They seem to last a long time. The ride is good but not great until broken in. Once broken in they ride very well but tend to settle a bit loosing some lift.

They are not designed to carry heavy loads like and ARB bar/winch, swing out tire carrier, roof rack, lots of camping gear etc.... They will droop quick and get mushy. You can help them out a lot by adding a full lenght OME leaf but that will run $300 ft/rr just for the leaves!

The springs are made by Belton in Malasia.

HFS is some good stuff. Their 40 springs are some of the best out there. I am not so sure on the 60 springs. I was OK with a set I installed but not thrilled. I do think they are better than BDS which I just dont like. Cheap spring that will do well at first, soon drops to OK then to suck. I calss BDS in the el cheapo category.

The Dakar springs rock. They are SO much better than any of tha above it is not fair to compare them. They do cost more but will last a lot longer and ride much better. Eventually TPI plans to discontinue the 60 series smokey mountain as the Dakar is much better for not all that much more money.

Oh yeah, I am Dakar rich right now.

everyone just remember...PINNACLE SUCKS!!! :flipoff2:

i'd do the dakar, but the pricetag scares me...as does the ome, of course. i have a friend that's running the bds and they were stiff, but better than my pinnacles. for the price vs. quality, i'm anxiously awaiting my tax refund to get alcans and throw away the CRAPPY PINNACLE SPRINGS.

nuclearlemon said:
everyone just remember...PINNACLE SUCKS!!! :flipoff2:

i'd do the dakar, but the pricetag scares me...as does the ome, of course. i have a friend that's running the bds and they were stiff, but better than my pinnacles. for the price vs. quality, i'm anxiously awaiting my tax refund to get alcans and throw away the CRAPPY PINNACLE SPRINGS.
Only by Alcans if you need to buy Alcans. If your truck is stock (SUA) and you dont need to go over 3"s of lift then there no need for Alcans.

I know that Alcans are the way to go!
Just didn't want to recommend them to a newbie shopping for his first after market spring.
(Plus if he buys at Urban I earn food and booze credits)
devo

dd113 said:
Only by Alcans if you need to buy Alcans. If your truck is stock (SUA) and you dont need to go over 3"s of lift then there no need for Alcans.

Given Ige's 'experience' with the Pinnacles, I dont blame her one bit for looking to get something close to home, save all the $$ on shipping, and have a face to aim at if she's not happy with the product! :flipoff2:

Has anyone else realized this was originally posted last January? :rolleyes: I doubt this guy is even on the board anymore! :mad:

i want minimum 3 inch. i originally had 4 and liked it, but couldn't wait for the springs to be built...that's why i went with the pinnicrap. i'll most likely go 4- 4 1/2.

i didn't even pay attention to the original date...dang. hope he found a good spring

I went with the Habu springs. The price was right, ~430 for all for springs. 3" lift in the rear and 2.5 in front. I also built 1.5" lifted shakles, so I probably lifted it a total of 4" in the rear and 3 in the front. I have been doing a lot of hunting in the dessert in southern Idaho. Lots of rocks and nasty trails. I have been totally happy so far. The extra clearance and stiffness of the springs has been nice. For the record I do not have any experience with any other springs, just these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom