TPI and Dakar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally took the plunge and spent the money to replace my extremely wore out stock springs on my 62. I was shopping for a long time and trying to save as much $$ as possible so I was going to get the Smokey Mountain suspension from TPI but then I dug a little deeper and found out that I could get OME Dakkar for just under $100 more for everything I needed. Previous owners removed the swaybars so I didn't need the extended links and the U bolt kits included in the Smokey Mountain kit are not included in the OME Dakkar kit. After all the good things I heard about OME Dakkar that made my decision a no-brainer. Bob at TPI was even willing to meet me there on Saturday so I could save on shipping since I only live 140 miles from Gallatin but a crappy weather forecast changed those plans and I took a day off Friday and went up there.
It was good to meet Bob and his friendly pack of dogs and hang out and talk Cruisers for awhile. Bob seems like someong who would go the extra mile to help and I will definitely be buying more from him. I can't wait to get these springs installed and finally have a cruiser that drives and rides decent again.

cool, you never hear anyone mention TPI, not even a good or bad comment. usually everyone dogs the venders and kisses up to Kurt and mark. "Bob" sounds like a good guy

I was wondering how the TPI stack up against the Dakars too. Someone here locally has a set of TPI springs for 350.00 and I was interested but just didn't want to get something that wasn't going to work out great for the rig. Anyone else have TPIs and what do you think about them?

Those guys are located in the town where I go to school and work. I'll have to go buy and check them out. $1069 for their suspension kit though.

I'll check out their web site.... I formally lived in Hendersonville.... just down the road from Gallatin. I had never heard of TPI previously, but I've only been in the land cruiser game for a few months now. I like that area but it really has changed since I left in 2001, houses everywhere. Use to head into Madison every day for work. I guess traffic has not improved.

I have had the TPI kit on my 62 for 4 years now and cant complain at all. Ive never had anything else so cant compare. Not sure what is normal for the springs to settle down but I do wish I had a bit more lift. Seems to have sagged a bit more than I would like with a bull bar, sliders, and did have a roof rack. If I had it to do over, would just have kept my stock springs and soa. Just me. However learning to wheel for the first time with this set up was and still is fine. The more Im out on the trail the more I wish I was higher though. Good kit though.

Hello,

My name is Darin and I have a 1988 Toyota FJ62. The vehicle is stock (3FE motor, Original Automatic, original front and rear differentials, including gearing etc.) with 243,000 miles. The vehicle runs great and is very clean considering the mileage. The only modifications I've made to the vehicle is Man-a-Fre bolt-up exhaust (purchased and installed in Fall of 2006) and suspension that was recently purchased (8/28/07) from TPI4X4.com.

The suspension purchased was TPI's 'Smoky Mountain Suspension' which was supposed to lift the vehicle 2.5'. The suspension was purchased as a kit including springs, shackles, shocks, and bushings. See below:

TPI4x4

I installed the suspension myself in September of 2007 and although it was a kit, it was sent without any instructions or guidlines. I installed the springs exactly as the original equipment came out of the vehicle. In November of 2007 the vehicle was on a service rack and I noticed the driver side spring was bending into a 'W' shape over the spring perch. See attached photos.

I have contacted the vendor (Bob, owner/operator) at TPI4X4 multiple times via email and telephone. After various conversations and many arguments, Bob continues to insist that the spring deformation is the result of 'axle twist' for which he references this page:

Axle Wrap Prevention

Bob contends that I overloaded the vehicle and then drove both forward and in reverse and applied enough torque to the rear differential to permanently deform the spring on both sides of the perch causing the 'W' shape. He insists that the problem has nothing to do with the quality of the spring itself or its manufacturing. Bob also says that the manufacturer of the spring (Belton Inc.) has seen the above photos and agrees that the problem lies with 'axle wrap/twist' and is not a faulty spring. I have contacted Belton and been told that they do not produce springs for TPI. They provided identifying marks and manufacturing evidence that seems to support this.

I, after many arguments with Bob, am an extremely disgruntled customer. I have had the vehicle looked at by a half dozen mechanics all of whom say that Bob's 'axle twist' theory is next to impossible and that the spring is at fault. I am considering reporting this to the Better Business Bureau and exploring my options in Small Claims Court.

I am hoping that you will weigh in on my dilemna here. I am wondering if 'Bob's' axle twist theory is a possibility or if it is more likeley that the springs failed due to poor materials and/or manufacturing. I am looking for any experience you've had with TPI and anyone who has had experience with this specific lift kit. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you for your time and response,

Darin

Just wondering if you have come to any conclusions on this issue. I bought the 2.5 Dakar lift kit from TPI during Christmas and have had it on since January. The drivers side front and back are now sagging so much that I can't take the 60 on the trails anymore because the tires rub like crazy. There is about a 2 inch difference in height from the passenger side to the drivers side. The spring looks like a "W". I have emailed TPI and no responses from them.

If you have the Dakar kit (OME / ARB) you can call ARB directly (which is what the vendors will usually have you do anyway) and they will take care of it.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom