TP Auto Parts Store -- Complete Sets of FJ40/FJ45 (72-78/79 - 83) Body Parts and Assemblies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My patch panels were all 18 ga and the factory panels measured in multiple (non rusty) locations were thinner and when I looked up the thicknesses for each ga my measurements were closest to 19 ga. I did a quick Google search but couldn’t find anything conclusive for what gauge was used for 79+.

Yeah, I don't doubt your measurements. That's just what I've read. I've never measured any of it before. I just cut out the old and welded in the new.

As a non purist this is pretty exciting. Unfortunately the stated price dampens the enthusiasm. Not to say that’ll be true of everyone. I know it likely unrealistic, but if it were closer to ten k for a 45 cab I’d be tempted to build my dream wheeler. The black and white 4 door 45 from Afghanistan…

Most of the rust free U.S. spec trucks are long gone anyway and the rest are bondo jobs covering up a bunch of poorly manufactured patch panels.

There are actual 40s out there that aren't patched and Bondo filled.
IMG_0368.jpg

001011.jpg

As a non purist this is pretty exciting. Unfortunately the stated price dampens the enthusiasm. Not to say that’ll be true of everyone. I know it likely unrealistic, but if it were closer to ten k for a 45 cab I’d be tempted to build my dream wheeler. The black and white 4 door 45 from Afghanistan…

Did I miss the prices listed? Would be curious of what just a tub for a 45 pickup costs? Have everything else needed.

The departure of a long wheel base 45 pickup is not what I would consider the idea 4X4 but the ride is obviously better than the short wheel base 40 series.

Last edited:
There's an email link that you can use to request a price list.

Indeed, @Dunkane , the president of the French 40-Series club (salut Dunkane!), gave us the email link:

Interesting: the price in their own site (in Yuan), is considerably lower than the price in Alibaba, e.g. for the complete FJ45 bed/tray:
1,120 euros against 1,484...

Last edited:
Did I miss the prices listed? Would be curious of what just a tub for a 45 pickup costs? Have everything else needed.

The departure of a long wheel base 45 pickup would is not what I would consider the idea 4X4 but the ride is obviously better than the short wheel base 40 series.
Someone mentioned the potential price earlier in the thread.

As to the long wheelbase wheeler concept, it more fantasy then anything. As I said it would be for purists. I’d like something in the 105-110 wheelbase. It’s a build for another thread. In my dreams…

There are actual 40s out there that aren't patched and Bondo filled.
View attachment 3231586
View attachment 3231587

The departure of a long wheel base 45 pickup would is not what I would consider the idea 4X4 but the ride is obviously better than the short wheel base 40 series.

What's that silvery blue one on the far right in the first pic?

What the hell is with that box... somebody shoot it and put it out of its miserly

Believe certain parts of Africa had locally made beds which was part of an agreement to import them.
South African FJ45's had locally made beds. Not only for local production requirements but also, to provide a much stronger bed since the OE unit was found to be too weak. This is what it looks like -

IMG_20211107_085833_601~2.jpg

Even nowadays the scec on tailgates, latches and number of hinges is often increased since out here pickups are worked hard. On new 70 series units, most all get steel/stainless double panels fitted from new with some form of liner.

Same reason why the Aussies use traybacks

South African FJ45's had locally made beds. Not only for local production requirements but also, to provide a much stronger bed since the OE unit was found to be too weak. This is what it looks like -

View attachment 3232550

Even nowadays the scec on tailgates, latches and number of hinges is often increased since out here pickups are worked hard. On new 70 series units, most all get steel/stainless double panels fitted from new with some form of liner.

Same reason why the Aussies use traybacks
There was also some sort of import restriction that I read about on here over a decade ago that Toyota managed a work around on by shipping half or 3/4 of a truck in ‘knocked down’ kit form where the country of destination provided some of the parts as well as final assembly.

OP, sorry for the hijack. I hope your venture is a success, and that you remain open to feedback from this forum. There will always be a few who will be hyper-critical. But by and large, it’s a good crowd.

There was also some sort of import restriction that I read about on here over a decade ago that Toyota managed a work around on by shipping half or 3/4 of a truck in ‘knocked down’ kit form where the country of destination provided some of the parts as well as final assembly.

OP, sorry for the hijack. I hope your venture is a success, and that you remain open to feedback from this forum. There will always be a few who will be hyper-critical. But by and large, it’s a good crowd.

Back in the early and mid 80's, Toyota used to send trucks over to the U.S. without beds. It was much cheaper for them to send an incomplete vehicle. The beds that came from Japan had tie-down points up and down the bed rails, and they lasted very well. The beds that were sourced in the U.S., had plain sides, and they rusted horribly.

There were sanctions imposed on South Africa due to its stupid laws back then from the 80's but Japanese and German products were not sanctioned. I grew up with Japanese and German vehicles dominating the new market (we always had Cruisers, Hiluxes and Isuzus as workhorses, and a Mercedes sedan for going to church).

The green 45 my dad bought new in '78 (actually he bought 3 on the same day). This one was the petrol so it never worked and only has 30k odd miles on it. The diesels, however, really got worked hard. I still have many parts of one of the diesels too on my rock crawler 45 on 40's.

Back in the early and mid 80's, Toyota used to send trucks over to the U.S. without beds. It was much cheaper for them to send an incomplete vehicle. The beds that came from Japan had tie-down points up and down the bed rails, and they lasted very well. The beds that were sourced in the U.S., had plain sides, and they rusted horribly.

I have never heard this before. What were the two model numbers? @OGBeno do you have this info? Would be curious to see what the two styles looked like?

My parents bought a mini motor home in 1979. It was built on a one ton cab and chassis. Had a dually rear axle as I remember. Few of these old motor homes still around. Seen flat beds built off the same set up. Just not familiar with a non Toyota bed on a pickup.

Last edited:
I have never heard this before. What were the two model numbers? @OGBeno do you have this info? Would be curious to see what the two styles looked like?

My parents bought a mini motor home in 1979. It was built on a one ton cab and chassis. Had a dually rear axle as I remember. Few of these old motor homes still around. Seen flat beds built off the same set up. Just not familiar with a non Toyota bed on a pickup.

This information is pretty much correct.

The protectionism of the late 1970’s/80s in the auto industry was intense. Full of vitriol and hate towards the Japanese—especially Toyota.

To mitigate this as well as heavy taxation on CBUs, Toyota set up TABC: Toyota Auto Body, California which was tasked with manufacturing truck beds for the US market.

Trucks were manufactured at Tahara Plant as cab-chassis and shipped over, TABC basically had their sheet metal plant on the Long Beach port so trucks came in and beds attached.

That occurred through the mid-1990’s until the introduction of the Tacoma and the transfer of truck manufacture to the NUMMI plant.

Then complete trucks were fully assembled in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom