TP Auto Parts Store -- Complete Sets of FJ40/FJ45 (72-78/79 - 83) Body Parts and Assemblies (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While it would be cool, don’t count on it. Too marginal. They have already got their eyes on two other classics they want to dive into, and the ROI on FST parts is a fools game compared to what they have their eyes on.

I strongly emphasized to Bruce the possibility of foregoing a few of the 40 pieces that they are already considering in favor of reproducing the 66-74 hardtop front door. As opposed to the 75 and newer doors, where there are already three other players on the field, no one has tapped the earlier front door. And 33 years in business has shown me that THAT demand is huge compared to most of the other things being requested on this forum.

This is the kind of focused advice I hope to continue to bring to the table as an advisor.

Ian, here are the new floor pans -- in gauge 14! Slower than expected (way too many projects on going...) but we met our promise...... they are coming in next containers.

Tim
View attachment 3295157
Amazing.
looking forward to them.

thanks Tim,

Ian

I

It's an aftermarket body, not one made by Arakawa, so the nuances and regional differences you point out are irrelevant since it cannot and should not be presented as an original body but rather, as a rebodied Cruiser. There is nothing wrong with a rust free clone 45 or rebodied 40, as long the seller is honest.

I belive this keeps the original bodies and survivors available to those of us chasing originality, while at the same time offering a body to the off-road and resto-mod fraternities.
For those of you interested in "chasing originality" would the body in this picture have any value? I am contemplating a Juncheng "rebody", and would offer this at some point, if there were any interest.

PXL_20230407_202547588.jpg

While it would be cool, don’t count on it. Too marginal. They have already got their eyes on two other classics they want to dive into, and the ROI on FST parts is a fools game compared to what they have their eyes on.

I strongly emphasized to Bruce the possibility of foregoing a few of the 40 pieces that they are already considering in favor of reproducing the 66-74 hardtop front door. As opposed to the 75 and newer doors, where there are already three other players on the field, no one has tapped the earlier front door. And 33 years in business has shown me that THAT demand is huge compared to most of the other things being requested on this forum.

This is the kind of focused advice I hope to continue to bring to the table as an advisor.
Agreed on the ROI for FST parts, as sad as that is. Likely better to approach SGI in India for FST stuff, seeing as how well they are making reproduction open top body parts for the early Jeep world.

For those of you interested in "chasing originality" would the body in this picture have any value? I am contemplating a Juncheng "rebody", and would offer this at some point, if there were any interest.

View attachment 3295468
I would more than consider a rebody, not much you can do with that seemingly later 70's body apart from pulling tags and smalls off of it.

They need to be focused on the pre 79 tub for the 40. That will make or break them in this market for parts for the 40.
If they can build a quality tub without too many fitment issues they will own the body market because if you are using their tub you are going to use their doors their hoods and their tops as well.

The 1979 > FJ40s were getting to end of that type design. The gas shortage of the mid 1970s made them cut weight wherever they could. Also, recycling steel was beginning and it never was as refined as virgin steel. So, in rust prone areas FJ40s ended up similar to this one in thread. I have seen worse than this in rust prone areas. Before I would pay attention to the body, I would really focus on the frame.

I want to think this is a good thing, but it seems like we'll now have a bunch of Chinese bodies being bolted onto trucks that might have otherwise been restored. Just like the influx of badly restored south American trucks has tainted the market, a lot of buyers won't know the difference between an original U.S. spec cruiser and a non. I guess we'll see.
I agree. It will reduce our 40’s to “made in China” like everything else. The great copiers but not originators, sad.

There are actual 40s out there that aren't patched and Bondo filled.
View attachment 3231586
View attachment 3231587

Did I miss the prices listed? Would be curious of what just a tub for a 45 pickup costs? Have everything else needed.

The departure of a long wheel base 45 pickup is not what I would consider the idea 4X4 but the ride is obviously better than the short wheel base 40 series.
Nicely put John. Has someone not been to the desert Southwest? Harder to find, yes but they do exist.

50 years ago, different attitudes towards countries that surprise bombed one of our ports, versus today as well. Probably not many people left that experienced that first hand.
As Americans we forget too quickly, it’s almost as if we are “programmed” to do that! Scary. Those that don’t forget and never will become labeled “haters”🙄

Might be a nice option for those not seeking originality. Or don’t have fabrication skills or both. Building a 40 has never been a “simple” task if you love them for what they are and also for what they are not. I totally understand @JohnnyC concerns being from Buffalo. Stainless would be a sweet option👍

Regarding a body swap; will these 79-84 Juncheng bodies fit a 10-76 chasis? What modifications might be required? Will the older glass fit the newer body? What other issues will or might I run into trying to make the new stuff fit my old junk?

They need to be focused on the pre 79 tub for the 40. That will make or break them in this market for parts for the 40.
If they can build a quality tub without too many fitment issues they will own the body market because if you are using their tub you are going to use their doors their hoods and their tops as well.
What are the main differences between the pre and post 79 tubs and bodies? Will a newer body fit on an older chassis?

What are the main differences between the pre and post 79 tubs and bodies? Will a newer body fit on an older chassis?

Two major differences are fuel tank location and parking brake location. I have it in the back of my mind that body mounting points are also different but I may be mistaken.

Two major differences are fuel tank location and parking brake location. I have it in the back of my mind that body mounting points are also different but I may be mistaken.
Thank you. Do you know if the glass is the same? What about the speedometer?

Body mount points are in different locations as well as different styl. They are not interchangeable.

LITP will be happy to rattle off the list of changes. Yes, it can be done. There's a story on here, I think it's in the stolen vehicle section, about a guy who showed up at my shop with a 79 tub on a '69 frame.

Dan, you are correct about the mounting differences. Two supports in the rear instead of 4. Like myself, we have the potential to forget more than most will ever know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom