Toytoa CB - CB40F, CB40M Information (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is almost no information to be found on these radios anywhere on the Internet. Most of what you find are questions with no answers. A few years back I started keeping an eye out for these radios, and over the years I've come up with a few things. I’ve finally scanned and photographed the things that looked like they’d be useful, so here they are. I’m posting this in 40 Tech because at least some of the information is model specific.

Toyota CB Brochure

This is a scan of the Toyota brochure for their CB Radios. It's a 4-fold pamphlet, part number 00100-00417. I don't see a copyright notice or other date on it, but the text "In January, the number of CB channels was increased from 23 to 40" leads me to think that it is from 1977. Jan 1 1977 is when that change took effect. Besides all the reasons you need to buy a CB, it comes complete with pictures of people sporting groovy 70's style haircuts.
toycb-sm-1.jpg
toycb-sm-2.jpg

Toyota CB Brochure

These are the radios themselves. The CB40F (PN 00850-00001) has more features, while the CB40M (PN 00860-00001) is more basic. Having both models, I can also say that the CB40F is the more solidly built of the two. Because CBs and their frequencies are specific to each nation, I doubt that these radios were sold anywhere other than the US, although I suppose it's possible.
toycb-sm-3.jpg
toycb-sm-4.jpg

Toyota CB Installation Guide

Next up are scans from a Toyota CB Installation Guide. This document has Toyota Publication Number 00401-42546 and shows First printing June 1977. It also has a 1977 copyright notice. That wasn't good enough for somebody since they wrote a big 77 on the cover. As you can see it has both general instructions as well as model specific information including the FJ40.

The first couple of pages include some general information about the radios and their accessories. I've included them because some of this information isn't in the other documents. Here we also find out that the CB40M was made by Panasonic, and the CB40F was made by Fujitsu. It also points out that the CB40F has a required "optional" relay harness (PN 00011-00001) if you want to put the CB audio through your vehicle's radio speaker. I *really* wish they had included this part with the radio itself.
inst-sm-1.jpg
inst-sm-2.jpg

These are the next couple of pages of the Installation Guide. They show the two different types of Toyota external CB speakers in reasonable detail. There is a different one for each radio model. The part numbers for installation kits and related parts are shown here too.
inst-sm-3.jpg
inst-sm-4.jpg

The first picture is wiring for passenger cars. Apparently the harness pieces are different depending on what kind of vehicle you're connecting to. I debated putting this in here, but I figured somebody might have a use for it. The second picture is wiring connections for the FJ40.

I didn’t post the page here, but elsewhere the manual recommends noise suppression on the wiper motor, fan blower, and fuel pump for every model except the FJ40. The fuel pump makes sense, but I wonder why not the other two?
inst-sm-5.jpg
inst-sm-6.jpg

Wiring for both radios, when using an external speaker is simplified. I like the way the speaker is mounted to the bottom of the radio on the CB40F. I wish I could find one of these. The CB40M uses a 4-ohm speaker, whereas the CB40F uses an 8-ohm one. The second picture, from the antenna mounting instructions, I just included because the thought of putting a hole like that in a brand new FJ40 tub makes me cringe.
inst-sm-7.jpg
inst-sm-8.jpg

CB40M Documentation

This is some of what originally came with a CB40M: the Owner's Manual, General wiring sheet, and the vehicle specific installation instructions. The papers are all marked with the same part number as the radio. I scanned the FJ40 instructions and included them below. They're pretty much the same as the ones in the Toyota manual except much less detailed. The CB40F installs in the same location.
40m-sm-0.jpg
40m-sm3.jpg

CB40M Documentation

These are the wiring instructions for use with and without an external speaker. The best thing about the CB40M is that you can hook it into your existing radio without too much extra wiring. It doesn’t look too hard to make a harness with the connectors shown.
40m-sm-1.jpg
40m-sm-2.jpg

CB40F Documentation

The CB40F. This is one that's NIB along with some things that came in the box. Not for sale.

- Citizens Band Radio Servuce Rules and Regulations, April 1977
- FCC Form 505 Application for Class C or d Station License in the Citizens Band Service
- Temporary Permit for Class D citizens Radio Station
- Toyota CB Installation Instructions (PN 00850-00001 same as the radio)
- How to Eliminate Noise Originating from Fuel Pump Corona, Celica and Half-Ton Pickup
40f-sm-0.jpg
40f-sm-7.jpg
40f-sm-6.jpg

CB40F Documentation

Some scans from the Installation Instructions. These two are for use with an AM radio.
40f-sm-1.jpg
40f-sm-2.jpg
40f-sm-3.jpg

CB40F Documentation

Wiring information when using AM/FM radio and/or tape player. This configuration is not shown in the Installation Manual or the CB40M instructions.
40f-sm-4.jpg
40f-sm-5.jpg

Misc

One final note. I saw this picture of a Chrysler CB Mic on ebay a while back. I believe it's the same as the model as the one used on the CB40M. A Toyota Mic picture shows the similarity. The Chrysler part number is on the box if anybody needs to hunt for one.
mic-chr.jpg
mic-toy.jpg

You are the man! Thanks for getting all this information together. I have one waiting for installation. This information will be very helpful.

Pretty cool. :clap:

Did you find the NIB unit at a dealer?

I wonder who actually made this unit for Toyota... Take the cover off and see if you can find who made it.

fujitsu, says on one of the install manual pages;)

Pretty cool. :clap:

Did you find the NIB unit at a dealer?

I wonder who actually made this unit for Toyota... Take the cover off and see if you can find who made it.

No, I got it off ebay.

According to the Installation manual, the CB40M was made by Panasonic, and the CB40F was made by Fujitsu.

Food for the CB thread

Just came across this in a pile of stuff I bought:

P1020300.JPG

P1020301.JPG

P1020302.JPG

P1020303.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom