Toyota warranty and repair work at Lexus dealers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will Lexus dealers honor warranty repairs on my Toyota Land Cruiser? I've had problems receiving good communication from the Toyota dealers near me and frankly I trust Lexus mechanic's competence over the Toyota mechanics, with certain exceptions I'm sure. Having purchased and sold a new LX570 in the past, I was always happy with the quality of repairs from the Lexus dealer, although their prices are definitely higher than Toyota dealers.

I'm also wondering if the Lexus dealers will accept sale coupons for 5K maintenance activities from Toyota dealerships.

I called my local Lexus dealership and asked your very question. They told me they could do extended warranty work but anything covered under the initial warranty they could not perform. Curious what others have experienced.

I called my local Lexus dealer after getting frustrated with Toyota over a loaner (I was spoiled after years of dealing with Mercedes\Lexus\Infiniti) and asked them the same question. They basically told me to pound sand and suggested that a take my inferior "Toyota to the Toyota dealership for service". They said they'd do an oil change for me but that was it.

I used the local Lexus dealer for my Tundra for years since all the mechanics are trained on both Lexus and Toyota products...and I have more confidence in the Lexus mechanics than those of any of the local Toyota dealerships. (I watched a Toyota tech peel out in my Tundra at one of the dealerships years ago, after I flayed the service manager I haven't been back since.) In talking with the Lexus service manager over the years, while they can do all the actual mechanical work, running warranty issues through the system is a problem. As a result, since I bought my LC two years ago I have been taking it to the Toyota dealer (different one than the one above), but as soon as I am done with free oil changes I will go back to the Lexus dealer. (After I lifted it, I took it to the Lexus dealer for the alignment, even though it was still in the warranty period.) Whether at the Lexus dealer or the Toyota dealer they can see in their system if any work is done in either place. (When I sold my Toyota I had the Lexus folks pull it up and print it all out.) Of course, Eric Sarjeant is probably the definitive source to answer this completely.

Best of both worlds. Buy a Toyota at a Lexus dealership and get the extended warranty.

what the hell is the point of this isolation/separation of the two? It seems like total insanity to me. Tried to buy a battery for my Lexus LX at a Toyota dealership and they wouldn't sell it to me with the warranty. I could buy it, but it wouldn't be warrantied. Has it been this way since the inception of Lexus? How the hell has this gone on for so long? In this day and age Toyota really needs to rethink this stupid, antiquated ideology.

what the hell is the point of this isolation/separation of the two? It seems like total insanity to me. Tried to buy a battery for my Lexus LX at a Toyota dealership and they wouldn't sell it to me with the warranty. I could buy it, but it wouldn't be warrantied. Has it been this way since the inception of Lexus? How the hell has this gone on for so long? In this day and age Toyota really needs to rethink this stupid, antiquated ideology.
I have never seen this issue. My guess it is dealer specific.

I know for sure that Toyota would not do the airbag recall work on my LX570. I had to go to Lexus, and upon going there, they have turned out to be pretty solid.

I was told by Stevinson Toyota West that they would not work on my LX570. I assume it goes both ways. They're right across the street from each other (Stevinson Toyota and Stevinson Lexus), but I just thought I'd ask around. Also FWIW, Lexus replaced my starter cheaper than the two most highly reputable independent toyota/lexus shops on the west side of Denver quoted me.

I have had no problem buying Lexus parts from the Toyota parts counter though. I just give them a part number and they fetch me the part.

Fwiw, I have an lx470 and have never taken it to Lexus and all parts have come from the Toyota dealership, with part number provided. I even ask for the tlca discount and they provide it. When calling Toyota for an alignment once they had no issue. I’m guessing those with issue are dealer network restrictions to keep competition low and prices up.

Lexus is known as the number one most reliable brand above Mazda and toyota. Does this mean the mechanics are better, or don’t get enough experience because the cars don’t break? A good question imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom