Toyota Valve set tool alternative? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys will this Snap-on tool work for doing the Valve setting on a 1HD-T?

54628.JPG

"Description:
For Toyota and other overhead camshaft engines using spacer shims. Shim pliers push between the shim and camshaft, allowing the included YA8825-1 Wedge Tool to be placed between the valve lifter ledge and camshaft for easy shim replacement."

That tool doesn't work... I have one, so I can be sure of that. Works on some of the cars, but not the Land Cruiser.

We cut down / modified a seal remover tool and made up another tool to hold the valve bucket down with a piece of 1" x 1/8" strap bent/ground to do the job. Works like a charm!

~john

Here she is...all $200 worth

Vtool1.jpg

Vtool2.jpg

This could possibly be a homemade version but it looks just like the Manual pics, nice replica? I found this on the LCOOL forums.

bump. i need one too, but 200 is spendy

Volvo B19/21/23/230 engines all use the same type of valve bucket depressor to remove the adjusting shims.

Same tool. SPX also sell.
::: Special Tools Website :::
VT

Geeze man - by the time you get it you could buy one from ENS for the same price - I think I paid 180 for mine. I have a spankin new one here.

Noob question here, but how does this work exactly? I'm fairly certain you're not trying to bend the camshaft with it... but other than that I have no idea :D

OK i just checked .
I HAVE 3 of them here.
CruiserGord i can lend you the tool IF !!!

PM me and we will chat
VT

Louis - $180 does not equal $90 once converted and bought from an online store in the UK and that includes shipping to Canada. I'm in no hurry either.

VTCDN - Could you post the dimensions of the Toyota Version and I will contact these vendors and try and get the dimension of the Citroen one. Might as well follow this to the end.

96R50- That tool presses down on the rim of the buckets that seat the shims. If you look at the one pic, with the tool hooked onto the cam, you can see the bucket being pressed down to allow access to the shim, in the pic the mechanic is using compressed air to pop the shim out but a small flat blade screw driver can achieve the same results.

I found a russian toyota forum that had posted the Dimensions of the Toyota SST. The pics are a tad small so hopefully someone can figure out the writing, I tried and failed.

Even with translator

Even with translator , the pictures were hard to read.
I took a pix of the units i play with.
8mm between lifter bucket (thats what holds the thickness shim) .

For the Gent who asked about , "Bending the camshaft" , Got a chuckle , but if we were to bend it up , then as it rotated , it would , Ahh never-mind, Just being a SA.

Were using the Camshaft to push against the lifter buckets and depress the Valve spring , So we can slide the thickness shim out to replace it with a different thickness.
Plus I've only be able to break Camshafts ;) never bent one.. That make sense ?

Here's the pix , i need to measure the OD of the shims. I have about 6 different sets.

VT
IMG_4289.jpg
IMG_4290.jpg

Ok so Sealey Tools emailed me back and these are the dimensions he gave me regarding the Citroen VS4747 Valve set tool:
H – 38mm
W – 140mm
D – 100mm

VTCDN - could you compare these dimensions with your Valve tool and see if they match up?

Last edited:
Vtool1.jpg

Those Numbers must be the overall size.

It's the foot that pushes down spacing between the buckets.
The picture is intake and exhaust follower buckets , and both are being pushed down at the same time.

VT

I sent Sealey another message requesting more specific measurements regarding the foot. For now here is another pic of the real SST. How come yours doesn't look like that in your picture VT?
p4170023ma6.jpg

Mine is 1/2 depressed in my pix.

Got me what your comparing , the crit measurement is the foot space and how it only catches the bucket holder and the thickness shim can be released.

Ill see if i can get another Pix,,

I have uploaded the heal / foot of the one your posting also.
That is 8mm between buckets, the hooked ones are for D12-28 VW/Audi, and that is 3.5mm , the other hooked one is 5 mm for the MBD and MANNs.

They all work very similar.

Like i said the critical measurement is the foot space and how it only catches the bucket holder and the thickness shim can be released.

What are the specs of the engine your to adjust. There's tricks with that and these fancy tools. Your lucky that the engine can be adjusted with just the valve cover off. Some you have to measure , remove the top end to the head , adjust shims , reassemble , check AND if your lucky , alls set. If not that is a days job on some Jags..

VT
IMG_4298.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg
IMG_4300.jpg

Last edited:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom