Toyota tranny question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd throw this up over here since I didn't get but one response in the 60 section, plus, also considering 40 conversions out number 60 conversions probably somewhere in the range of 50 to 1. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Here's the original post:

"First, I know, I know, use "Search." But, my question is not the easiest "search-able" question since it comes up in so many various comments in so many various ways. My basic question is "can the stock toyota FJ60 tranny handle a chevy 350 (nothing crazy, just a 350 with a 4 barrel carb)." I'm interested in the conversion, using the Mark's adapter and sticking with the toyota tranny since I have an overdrive (fairy O/D) already. I'm not really into "hardcore" rock crawling or wheeling (I do like to have fun once in a while though), I don't plan on running bigger than my current 33's, I'm running 4:11's with front and rear lockers, I do go to the dunes often and want the power for the sand and freeway driving (and towing dirtbikes). I just want to know (opinions and experience) if the toyota tranny will be fine, or if it will get tore up by the 350. Hopefully this doesn't open up a big can of worms (not my intent, just looking for help), I just want to know if I'm going to waste my time and money mating up to the stock tranny. Thanks."

yes

I thrashed my FJ40 4-speed for years behind a V8....tore up a clutch once even.

I did junk a tranny output shaft, but doing 5k rpm sidesteps in 2nd with a VERY warm 350 will usually force something to give :D (mud drag practice....in case you ever wanna know where "ih8mud" comes from....)

I second Woody's remarks. I run a 4500 now but have abused Toy trannys as well. You shouldn't have to worry about being "nice" to it.

So what I'm getting is that it will hold up, right? I'm not planning on doing burners or anything like that, at least not very often. Sounds like it will work for what I want. Thanks for you replies.

The H42 4sp is a stout tranny, but wear on the output splines is the weak link. Check this and reject any tranny that has more than about .010 of wear. I have seen some where they splines were worn half way through.

My guess is the Fairey overdrive would be the weakest link with lockers and a 350 V8. If you do break it the parts are going to be hard to find. Then if you want a overdrive your back at square one. I don't know much about the split case overdrives but on the one piece transfer it's not that strong.

John

One guy around here has been running a 60 with a TBI V8 for over a year and is very happy. He isn't the most conservative driver I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom