Toyota Surf LN 130 Steering box into a 1972 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aotearoa - New Zealand, land of hobbits and The Al
Hi there,

just starting to evaluate the possible power steering upgrades for my 1972 FJ40 and trying to find what I can do relatively cheaply in New Zealand. (i.e. Saginaw + freight to NZ x USD-NZD Exchange Rate = OUCH!)

But while trawling through the 'wrecking' section at TradeMe - New Zealand Online Auctions and Classifieds (NZ equivalent of ebay) I came across a few Toyota Surfs that are being pulled apart. Wondered if the power steering system (box and pump) from a Toyota Surf LN 130 might do the job?

Tried a search but couldn't find anything in the forum archives.

Anybody done this before or know enough about the wagons to be able to give some advice?

cheers.

David

Boxes for IFS steering are not readily adapted to FJ40s because they turn the opposite direction of what you need.

but it is possible

haha - I'm a Project Manager - so I understand that ALL things are possible - just depends on how much time and moolah you want to throw at it! Unfortunately I have no patience but fortunately a little bit more money!

So what would be the possible methods then?

60 series Cruiser box will work with some minor fab work and also, solid axle mini truck will work too if you build the right pedistal for it.Lots of info on both of these here on mud.....

thanks BigRedFJ40!

... will do some digging - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. ;o)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about a 87 Cressida power steering setup, will it fit easily?

hey slickrock - nice write-up on your 60-series install. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom