Toyota SST Tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does Toyota sell SST tools? I can't find the tools to pull the pinioin bearing and other parts to replace the crush sleeve as shown in the Toyota Manual. What about other SST, does Toyota sell them or where do we get the hard to find tools?
kurt

You can buy the SSTs at your local dealer parts room. However as C-Dan will attest to they can run up in price pretty quickly. For what you are trying to do you might check out Randy's Ring and Pinion on the web. They sell all the needed tools to rebuild third members.

Rick

Kurt,
Your local Toy store is your best bet. If that doesn't work for you then try:

www.otctools.com/

They offer some of the Toyota SST's. Their web site is not very friendly.
-B-

Another possibility is The Tool Warehouse. They have a very broad collection of automotive speciality tools, including many OTC tools that even OTC does not list on their site.

Their web page is here: www.thetoolwarehouse.net

R -

As Rick noted, any Toyota dealer can order SST's. Often only the service manager or shop foreman(sometimes the parts manager 8) ) knows how to do it. Some of the tools would scare you to death, others can surprise you going the other way. The hub nut socket and the 1FZ valve adjusting tools are examples of the latter..........

REgards.........Dan :beer:

I will be installing my lift kit this summer. I would like to install all new suspension bushings at that time. Toyota suspension bushings are painfully expensive by the way.

So on to my question would this kit work since I will be pressing all the bushings my self.

OTC4505

Please don't tell me its this kit OTC27794 $$$$$

Its an spx otc tool which is who makes Toyota's sst.

Any thoughts?

9 years... This must be a record for a thread revival. =)

I think it depends on the size of the bushings you plan to replace. The cheaper kit has a smaller range of bushing adapter sizes, while the more expensive kit has a much larger range.

I will be installing my lift kit this summer. I would like to install all new suspension bushings at that time. Toyota suspension bushings are painfully expensive by the way.

So on to my question would this kit work since I will be pressing all the bushings my self.

OTC4505

Please don't tell me its this kit OTC27794 $$$$$

Its an spx otc tool which is who makes Toyota's sst.

Any thoughts?

Do yourself a favor, take the arms to a shop, pay the one hour labor and come home happy. No disrespect, just sayin.

Sounds as if you are speaking from experience...

Sounds as if you are speaking from experience...

Well, yeah, I do. I have done about a dozen arms and have the requisite 20T press, along with a hord of press dies. I can pop out a factory bushing in no time flat. But, if you're only planning on doing this job once, then I'd farm it out and take the hit.

I'm all for DIY but find out what the labor cost is in your local machine shop just to help you decide. You can probably drop off the arms in the morning, do your spring/shock swap and then pick up the arms in the afternoon for re-installation.

One caveat to think about: if you remove both front arms from the vehicle, the axle housing will rotate on you with the new spring/shock. Not a big deal, just use your floor jack under the front pinion to help it rotate it back up. Also, the housing may move fore or aft w/o the arms in place. Again, no biggie, just a pair of ratcheting straps will help with that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that certain bolt and certain nuts on the entire suspension of the 80 series are NOT meant to be loosened. The FSM states clearly which ones are meant to be loosened and which ones are meant to be stationery. It sounds trivial but these hardware have special ridges that gets destroyed if you loosen the wrong item. ;) These ridges help the hardware maintain their torque settings.

Hope I didn't confuse you! Shoot me an email if you want to chat further.

Edit: I see that you're from PHX. The copper state cruiser folks have all the tools and expertise so drop them a line. I think those guys are looking for a reason to wrench on something!

Good info. I just figured that I could probably pay for a press and a die kit by the time I got done paying the machine shop to press out all the suspension bushings. I figure there has to be at least 10 or more suspension bushings that I will be replacing. By the way where did you get your press dies?

By the way where did you get your press dies?

Easy deal, get a lathe, custom make them as needed.:hillbilly:

My press dies are rather crude, didn't have access to a lathe like Kevin does :flipoff2: They are a culmination of old bearing races, old suspension bushings from various cars, sometimes large impact sockets and any other round pieces of solid steel and ALUM round stock that I've managed to procure over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom