Toyota Rock Rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota has actual rock rails for the 5th gen 4Runner.
Left side # PT228-89191 Right side # PT228-89190
The Toyota dealers' parts sites indicate these are for 2019 and later 4 runners. Anyone know why they wouldn't fit a 2018 model?
Some other sites (ebay, etc.) do indicate these part numbers being suitable for some pre-2019 models.
Trying to figure if this will mount simply to a 2018 SR5 model.

It has to do with the predrilled factory bolt holes on the frame where the rock rails attach. Here's what it looks like on my '21. What's your frame look like?

1652993729790.png
1652993784700.png
0B2C39F8-9D1E-4368-A118-184E8C09D752.jpeg

Im really not any help here, but if you want sliders to slide on (or hell, to even step on), I would advise some aftermarkets that actually stick out from the truck.

I put a nice tree root into my rear door with OEM sliders....had I had some distance on them, they would have slid on the rocks.

Im really not any help here, but if you want sliders to slide on (or hell, to even step on), I would advise some aftermarkets that actually stick out from the truck.

I put a nice tree root into my rear door with OEM sliders....had I had some distance on them, they would have slid on the rocks.
Good to know. They’re pretty stout but certainly don’t stick out like some white knuckles or others.

1652995797342.jpeg

It has to do with the predrilled factory bolt holes on the frame where the rock rails attach. Here's what it looks like on my '21. What's your frame look like?

View attachment 3013166View attachment 3013167View attachment 3013168
@Diff Kraken Thanks; I'll check. Any way you can measure bolt hole center to center distances for each side? And I'll check on my end to see if they match up.
Most aftermarket slider fabricators just produce for 5th gen without any year differences. I'm hoping these may work OK.

@Diff Kraken Thanks; I'll check. Any way you can measure bolt hole center to center distances for each side? And I'll check on my end to see if they match up.
Most aftermarket slider fabricators just produce for 5th gen without any year differences. I'm hoping these may work OK.
I’ll be able to check on this by monday and will post up my measurements and the bolt size.

Here are pictures of the bolts and bolt hole measurements:

Bolts are ~3" apart top to bottom. The middle bracket area has only one bolt, 2 bolts on the front and rear brackets, for a total of 5 bolts per "rock rail".

The 3 brackets span across ~46.5" total.

The 2nd Bracket is ~30.5" from the 1st bracket.
The 3rd bracket is ~16" from the 2nd bracket.
The 3rd bracket is ~46.5" from the 1st bracket.

tempImage9eSvEa.png

tempImagec0aHzx.png

tempImagepU8ArD.png

tempImageHwdcCo.png

The hardware kit is 5 bolts. It is supposed to come with the "rock rails". I've heard mixed reports on that from people who received some with hardware and some without. One of my "rock rails" had the hardware included, but the other "rock rail" box was torn open and did not have the hardware- I assume it fell out during transit. So I ordered a replacement hardware kit.

On the 2018, the bolt hole spacing varies from right to left side.
Left side, starting at front: 27" from 1st bracket to middle bracket, 19.5" from middle to back bracket, 46.5" overall.
Right side, starting at front: 31" from 1st bracket to middle bracket, 15.5" from middle to back bracket, 46.5" overall.
Vertical distance between holes is 3 1/2".
@Diff Kraken with the slotted holes, it looks like the passenger side would be OK if the vertical spacing is closer to 3 1/2". Driver side is a different spacing though.

On the 2018, the bolt hole spacing varies from right to left side.
Left side, starting at front: 27" from 1st bracket to middle bracket, 19.5" from middle to back bracket, 46.5" overall.
Right side, starting at front: 31" from 1st bracket to middle bracket, 15.5" from middle to back bracket, 46.5" overall.
Vertical distance between holes is 3 1/2".
@Diff Kraken with the slotted holes, it looks like the passenger side would be OK if the vertical spacing is closer to 3 1/2". Driver side is a different spacing though.
Ill compare the two sides tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom