Toyota Remanufactured CV Axle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really hate to rehash old ground, but when confronted with replacing a CV axle...

I know I don't want to go aftermarket. I am rebuilding one of my shafts, but the other is of unknown origin (not OEM). I see several Toyota dealers listing "Genuine Toyota Remanufactured 43430-60040" for $100ish vs $450ish. I know the price is a likely a dead giveaway, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does anyone actually know? I'm not really looking for speculation, I can do that myself. I'm hoping we have a Toyota guy or similar that can attest to provenance.

There’s a relatively recent thread discussing this. I don’t remember what the consensus was though.

Search for value line, they're doing the same thing with other things like brake pads.
Eww. If that’s what it is, how can they call those genuine rebuilds? I would expect more out of Mr T.

No personal experience, but when I was shopping around for new axles (vs rebuilding) I called my local Toyota dealer and they sold remanufactured ones. I would personally trust those more than something from a chain auto parts store, except NAPA. NAPA has been good to me.

No personal experience, but when I was shopping around for new axles (vs rebuilding) I called my local Toyota dealer and they sold remanufactured ones. I would personally trust those more than something from a chain auto parts store, except NAPA. NAPA has been good to me.
And which way did you go?

I rebooted my OE axles with the Toyota rebuild kit. It’s stupid easy. The hardest part is getting the axles out IMO.

I bought the Cardone HDs as a temporary holdover until I could rebuild my OEM axles with the OEM rebuild kit (new outer tulip with outboard shaft, outer CV joint, center shaft, and inner + outer boots). Despite having rzeppa joints like the OEM units, the Cardones started clicking after 5k miles. The OEM rebuild kits are around $200-250 per axle, depending on where you buy them.

I rebooted my OE axles with the Toyota rebuild kit. It’s stupid easy. The hardest part is getting the axles out IMO.
Reboot won’t solve worn outboard splines, which are just about guaranteed on axles with 100k miles or more on them.

I ordered one new axle and one rebuild kit. I scoured the Internet and got them from discountpartsmonster.com. Axle was $415(+$40 core) and halfshaft was $188. Shipping was less than $50. Apparently this is actually a Toyota dealer in Florida.

Funny, when I put in the part numbers, both Lexus and Toyota parts came up. The Lexus axle (same number, of course) was $35 cheaper than Toyota, so of course I ordered it. They emailed me to confirm I really wanted the Lexus part. 🤔

Oooof. They were $330 about a year-ish/1.5 ago. Even though toyota put they were trying to decrease some part prices, cant believe they're $450+core now.

I've ripped through 3 cardone HDs before I bit and bought OEM. They don't fit a new outer hub flange without filing, so I'm guessing when they designed them, they use a used hub flange.

With my oem new hub flange, and new oem axle,. I get no clunking, and also I didn't have to file to get the cv in.

I'm lifted 1.5 inches in the front to 20.8 inches hub to fender, no diff drop. No issues with oem cvs.

Retail for the CV is $675, IIRC. Most dealers won’t go more than 10% off. Most online Toyota websites (parts.nameofdealer.com) are actually Lakeland Toyota in FL. If you call those dealers they won’t know how they even got affiliated, and they can’t match the price because it is below their cost.
The best web price I generally saw was $450 plus core, plus shipping, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom