Toyota part warranty voided if installed on LX470?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Toyota dealer tells me installing Toyota parts on my 2001 LX470 will void the warranty of the part even though the Toyota/Lexus part numbers are identical. This hasn't been an issue for me so far since most of the parts I've gotten haven't been too expensive, but now I'm getting a new CV axle, steering rack, and exhaust manifold.

The Toyota website says "The Toyota Genuine Accessory Warranty will only apply when the installation is performed by a trained Toyota-approved installer." It seems the warranty will be voided regardless since I will be installing myself. There doesn't seem to be a good case to spend the extra money on Lexus parts. Is there any reason not to buy the parts from Toyota? Has anyone gotten defective parts from Toyota?

The Toyota website says "The Toyota Genuine Accessory Warranty will only apply when the installation is performed by a trained Toyota-approved installer." It seems the warranty will be voided regardless since I will be installing myself
Not sure where you’re getting that but it’s not true. All Toyota parts purchased from an authorized dealer are covered under 12 months warranty. This is directly from Toyota USA:
E58CF7A7-C06E-40D3-B753-75C46E3E46AE.jpeg

There are a very few Lexus specific parts, but if you have a Toyota/Lexus cobranded part, you have an OEM part for either.

Your dealer is pulling your chain, trying to scare you into giving him money for labor. If you can, find another dealer. If you can't, don't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies! Good to know about the 12 month warranty. Does the warranty continue if installed on a Lexus vehicle? Is that written down anywhere?

Thanks for the replies! Good to know about the 12 month warranty. Does the warranty continue if installed on a Lexus vehicle? Is that written down anywhere?
Considering you can take your Lexus to Toyota for service and repairs, where they will install Toyota parts, and Lexus = Toyota anyways, I see no reason why it would not apply. Hell, most of the parts on your Lexus right now that were installed at the factory are stamped with “TOYODA” or “TOYOTA”.

To expand:

Over-the-counter sales coverage is one year and covers only the part. Labor is NOT covered.

Parts and labor are both covered IF they are on the same repair order.

If you buy a part from dealer A and have dealer B install it, the labor and the part are covered separately. If the part fails there is no labor coverage. If the labor caused the problem only the labor is covered.

If you are going to pay someone to do the job you are better off having them supply the parts. That way there can be no finger-pointing about who's problem it is when something goes wrong.

Here’s what the Toyota dealer is saying:
1) All parts have a 1-year warranty, unlimited miles
2) The warranties are linked to the vehicle’s VIN
3) The Toyota dealer cannot link parts to Lexus VINs so any warranty claim submitted to Toyota Corporate will be denied.

Time to try another dealer and see if I get a different answer. Anybody have a recommended Toyota dealer in the Los Angeles/Orange county area?

Here’s what the Toyota dealer is saying:
1) All parts have a 1-year warranty, unlimited miles
2) The warranties are linked to the vehicle’s VIN
3) The Toyota dealer cannot link parts to Lexus VINs so any warranty claim submitted to Toyota Corporate will be denied.

Time to try another dealer and see if I get a different answer. Anybody have a recommended Toyota dealer in the Los Angeles/Orange county area?
#1 yup.
#2 applies to dealer repair orders only.
#3 would be correct. A Lexus would be considered an "other make" at a Toyota dealer and vice-versa. Again this applies to repair orders. Counter invoices are not tied to a VIN.

Last edited:
#1 yup.
#2 applies to dealer repair orders only.
#3 would be correct. A Lexus would be considered an "other make" at a Toyota dealer and vice-versa. Again this applies to repair orders. Counter invoices are not tied to a VIN.
Thanks, CruiserDan, that clarifies it a lot! Your response on #3 is what I need the dealer to understand. I’ll give it another go. I’m hoping they’ll figure it out because there’s a 10% sale at this dealer right now and getting my core back will be easier since they’re local.

Are you buying over the counter and installing yourself?

Are you buying over the counter and installing yourself?
Yes, ordering online and installing myself.

They’re still saying the VIN is required if a warranty claim for the part is needed: “I spoke with my manager and he told me at the moment of summiting a warranty claim we need to provide a VIN and if the said VIN is for a Lexus they would deny the claim.”

Yes, ordering online and installing myself.

They’re still saying the VIN is required if a warranty claim for the part is needed: “I spoke with my manager and he told me at the moment of summiting a warranty claim we need to provide a VIN and if the said VIN is for a Lexus they would deny the claim.”

Incorrect. Parts warranty claims are submitted using a generic customer. At least that's how it's done at the dealership I worked at for 26 years. I retired 5 years ago but the Service Manager there is my friend (hard to believe a Parts Manager and a Service Manager are friends) and I just checked with him a couple minutes ago. They still do it that way.

By the way, the warranty is supposed to be honored at ANY Toyota dealer but many don't or won't in spite of that fact.

This dealer is being difficult on purpose.

1. If they need a Toyota vin, give them one. Grab any random 100 series Vin. Doesn't matter which one, just not it down. They're never going to see the car. Use my old 99 Vin.

2. Are you sure this dealer is giving you a better deal than mcgeorge? It's very rare for local dealers to have anything close to reasonable pricing.

3. Oem Lexus/Toyota are all built the same by the same suppliers in the same plants. There is only an administrative difference in the dealer network. Lexus parts are not inferior or superior.

4. Oem Toyota parts have an exceptionally low failure rate. This warranty trouble isn't really a valuable concern, imo. In my 20 years of wrenching and restoring cars I've probably spent $20k on Toyota parts. Never had a single failure on a genuine Toyota part I purchased in any way at any mileage.

Don't sweat the warranty stuff too much. Give them a Toyota vin if that's what they want.

1. If they need a Toyota vin, give them one.

But they don't need one.

Or is woefully ignorant of the over-the-counter warranty process. More likely both. The same goes for the battery proration process. Many dealers have no idea how the paper flows and have no interest in figuring it out. It is much easier to blow-off the customer service and move on to up-selling unneeded repairs/services.

4. Oem Toyota parts have an exceptionally low failure rate. This warranty trouble isn't really a valuable concern, imo.

Probably the primary reason for dealer ignorance or distain of the process. I sold $7 million a year and did maybe 2 or 3 counter warranties and 1 or 2 batteries a year.

If you buy a RAM module for a computer, they don’t make you give them the serial number for the computer, the part is simply warrantied for a year. Your dealer needs to understand this is true for the parts they sell too.

1. If they need a Toyota vin, give them one. Grab any random 100 series Vin. Doesn't matter which one, just not it down. They're never going to see the car. Use my old 99 Vin.

2. Are you sure this dealer is giving you a better deal than mcgeorge? It's very rare for local dealers to have anything close to reasonable pricing.

3. Oem Lexus/Toyota are all built the same by the same suppliers in the same plants. There is only an administrative difference in the dealer network. Lexus parts are not inferior or superior.

4. Oem Toyota parts have an exceptionally low failure rate. This warranty trouble isn't really a valuable concern, imo. In my 20 years of wrenching and restoring cars I've probably spent $20k on Toyota parts. Never had a single failure on a genuine Toyota part I purchased in any way at any mileage.

Don't sweat the warranty stuff too much. Give them a Toyota vin if that's what they want.
Thanks, @suprarx7nut !

1. The dealer is okay selling the parts without a VIN. They just wanted me to be aware that they will not warranty the parts.
2. I loaded the shopping cart with identical items with McGeorge. McGeorge came in $20 cheaper (total cost of parts around $1,600), but I wouldn’t be able to get the core back since they’re not local.
4. That’s a helpful data point! I’ll probably try one more local dealer, and if it’s the same issue, I’ll go with the cheaper one.

But they don't need one.

Or is woefully ignorant of the over-the-counter warranty process. More likely both. The same goes for the battery proration process. Many dealers have no idea how the paper flows and have no interest in figuring it out. It is much easier to blow-off the customer service and move on to up-selling unneeded repairs/services.

Probably the primary reason for dealer ignorance or distain of the process. I sold $7 million a year and did maybe 2 or 3 counter warranties and 1 or 2 batteries a year.
That’s pretty amazing! I know Toyota has good quality control, but the real world data is making me more comfortable proceeding with the purchase. Thanks for all of the insight!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom