Toyota OEM hardware? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rob Faucett

GOLD Star
Threads
Is there a source for individual OEM Toyota hardware? Nuts 'n bolts and things . . .

Now here's a bucket of bolts, etc. that's going into one of the unique builds here on MUD:

f64aa217-5c4c-4b11-8681-5a5243f8bfd0-jpeg.1837390

@Cowboy45, @ceylonfj40nut, @cruiserjunktion

Junkyard is definitely the way to go. Find a Camry, Carolla, or Yaris and go to town. Interior bolts will all have the nice yellow shine to them. Great way to get nice M6 and M8 OEM hardware for cheap.
M10’s and 12’s will have to come from powertrain and less likely to be fresh.

If you have a lot of used hardware you can clean it up and get it coated with Zinc with Yellow chromate which will provide a nice protective coating and look good too. Used hardware from the junkyard will be just as good assuming it’s not heavily corroded or been abused.

If you have a lot of used hardware you can clean it up and get it coated with Zinc with Yellow chromate which will provide a nice protective coating and look good too.

I'm planning on taking a large batch down to Albuquerque next week, mainly for my '71 FJ40 build/refresh. Everything is pretty well cleaned up, no grease, rust, paint, etc. How clean does the hardware have to be? Am I good to go?

Degreased and clean of rust should be fine. A friend of mine tried tumbling loads of hardware to get everything clean but the tumble media ended up stuck in the threads and it was a mess. Another friend goes to a local pay by the hour place that lets you media blast with everything from sand and flour to nut shells etc.

Degreased and clean of rust should be fine. A friend of mine tried tumbling loads of hardware to get everything clean but the tumble media ended up stuck in the threads and it was a mess. Another friend goes to a local pay by the hour place that lets you media blast with everything from sand and flour to nut shells etc.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Am I good to go...

Definitely. The plating shop will dip everything in acid before it gets plated. You don't have to bring in sparkly clean metal. Just remove everything you want plated and take it to the shop. They'll take care of any grime.

Fasteners get tumble plated in a mesh bin, and if they had a little rust on them, the surface won't be perfectly smooth after plating after the acid does its work. Fasteners will have a dull finish to them - and the plating will be kinda fragile. Definitely not as strong as new bolts or nuts.
Larger hardware that they can hang by wires usually turns out looking really great. Just like new. It's the tumbled bolts that end up so so.

I invested in one of those HF tumblers to clean and de-rust a ton of old hardware, then took it for replating. Worked fine, but after all the time and expense and the end result, next time I needed hardware I just bought one of Dave's sets.

Full Kit | Yellow Zinc Plated | FJ40

@davework

full

full

At home plating is fun but all in all a ton of work. I need to build a barrel plater that tumbles small stuff as it's plated so no hanging wires needed. Honestly I find the hardware cheap from the dealer.

I guess in quantity it adds up. Around here junkyard fasteners would have to come from inside the vehicle to not be trashed.

Plating at home really should be reserved for stuff NLA or that you absolutely cannot have the plating shop lose.

I’m a Saab guy too.....looks around meekishly.....but Saab always used really nice hardware on their cars....say 1972-1993. Newer Saab’s are GM owned Swedish design but hardware on engine is still good. Lots of M8’s in various lengths. Many still have original coating and clean up nicely even on 200k+ mile cars. So another source to look for at the yards. Also if you open the trunk and lift the rear panel where the spare is sometimes the stock tools kitnisnthere and they had a nice orange set of channel locks and a useable torch driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom